Thread: new setup help

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default new setup help

I'm going to get a new setup most likely from ibuypower. I've never built a computer before. So I have some questions. Standard power supply or 500w? I'm a poor college kid so I'm thinking about going with an AMD Athlon™ X2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology. And for the Mobo, I think, Asus M3A78-CM AMD 780V/SB700 Chipset w/Integrated ATI video, 8-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB. I play a few online games but mostly just WoW. My current setup just died and I'm looking for a cheapish replacement to play WoW and do some work on. I'm looking to spend around 500. Really i don't know about the mobo and processor. so any advice?

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I got my computer from ibuypower / cyberpower (same company), I have read some mixed reviews but my computer is still running great several years later. My one regret was that I got the generic power supply that came standard with it and it has been a thorn in my ass ever since (the main issue is locking up my computer with many 3D games as the video card tries to pull a lot of power). Do yourself a favor and pony up a few extra bucks for a powerful name-brand PSU.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, if you can only afford to splash out on a few quality items, PSU is one of the ones you want to get a decent brand name one.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cheap and PSU should never be used in relation to each other. A cheap PSU can cause ALOT of problems.

I do have to urge you to plan for a video card in the near future. WoW has become a little more demanding (much more than it should be) and doesn't play nice with most decent setups. Integrated graphics probably wont cut it; so plan to get a video card as well.
    Last edited by ChedWick; 03-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always suggest this as of since the two years ago that I built my computer. Look at either Seasonic, PC&P, or Corsair. I currently have a Corsair 450VX, and it runs beautifully. Even better is that I just found out it can handle a 9800GTX+, so it is just perfect for the amount of gaming I do, and just enough room to upgrade down the line when I have the money. As already said by the others in this thread, don't skimp on the power supply. It's like $70, but it's also the backbone of your system no matter how cheapish it will be.
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA (Primary) - 640GB WD Black (Storage) - Lite-On LH-20AIL

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    Cheap and PSU should never be used in relation to each other. A cheap PSU can cause ALOT of problems.

I do have to urge you to plan for a video card in the near future. WoW has become a little more demanding (much more than it should be) and doesn't play nice with most decent setups. Integrated graphics probably wont cut it; so plan to get a video card as well.
    Yea I will be getting a graphics card with the computer, trust me I don't want to run it on integrated card. And I will defiantly go for a better PSU.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also if you are into having a clean inner case I suggest looking for a modular PSU. I went for a higher watted and cheaper cosair power supply and really wish I would spent the extra 80 bucks for the lower watts but modular cabling.