Thread: Whats better? (Airflow Q's)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Whats better? (Airflow Q's)

I just bought a new case for my computer (Antec Nine Hundred) and I'm trying to maximize my airflow. The way its setup now is:

2x120mm intake fans on the front
    1x120mm intake fan on the side panel
    1x120mm exhaust fan on the back
    1x200mm exhaust fan on the top

It seems to be pretty cool in there, although SpeedFan is reading a 54C Core and GPU temps, with my computer doing no more than web browsing. My HDD is ice cold at 24C (one of the front fans is almost on top of it, so its understandable) and the ambient temp is reading 38C. What would be better, a fast moving exhaust fan and slow intake fans, or the opposite, or all of them at max speed? All of the fans have speed settings, and with them all at low except the top 200mm fan those were the temps I was getting.

For the record, my computer is a E8400 Core2Duo, MSI mobo (not sure what model), EVGA 8800GT, 4GB GSkill RAM.

Cable management is absolutely perfect. I'm very picky about that and I made sure that on the cables were out of the way, looked nice, and weren't blocking a shitload of air.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the most fail-proof way to figure out if your case airflow is satisfactory is to take off your side panel, and shoot a regular house fan straight at your components. If temps do not change, your case airflow is pretty decent.

Another question is what sort of heatsink do you have now on your CPU and GPU. Last I remember, 54C idle on a GPU is not bad, whereas the CPU might be a little high. Could there be any reason for the CPU heatsink to have become unseated, thus making bad contact? I also assume you're relatively dust-free.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dust is not an issue. I did a pretty deep cleaning when I reinstalled everything. As far as the heatsink goes, yeah it could have potentially become unseated, whereas I was moving everything. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of heat sink is it? If it's a stock one I'd suggest one where you can aim the fan to move air out the back or top exhaust fans. Also apply Arctic Silver if you haven't already.

My buddy has the exact case as you with the same fan set up but with SLI 8800GTS and his temps are pretty damn good.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For me, there are two reasons to spend money on an aftermarket heatsink:

1) Stock one allows the component to overheat. 54C isn't exactly good, but it's no reason to spend $40+ on another part. Then again, if you're hitting 70C+ on load, yes you need to fix that.

2) The stock one is too noisy. Then I'd look at getting a huge chunk o' metal, and strategically place several large, slow speed fans.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh if you haven't gotten an aftemarket heat sink, look into getting one with "Heatpipe Direct Touch" technology. Supposedly cools CPUs a lot better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233001

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the heatsink I bought recently, and I love it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134
    My cpu idles at 35 or so, and I have yet to see it go above 50.

My wires inside my case are a total mess as well, so if you've got that all nice and tidy I imagine this will keep it very cool.