Thread: Susan Boyle on Britan's Got Talent

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Susan Boyle on Britan's Got Talent

Ok, I was a bit skeptical at first, like I assume everyone else will be when watching this.

Two words for you.

Holy Shit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, awesome voice

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post

Two words for you.

Holy Shit.
    yes.

and it's sweet when the internet is occasionally kind like this.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She was good, but not sure if she was anyone I'd write home about.

I would have not chosen that song, or maybe I just don't know Les Mis very well.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, she was a bit of a red herring. They set her up to be this bumbling Scottish fool who we could all have a good old chuckle at and she'd disappear back into the wilderness and no one cares but then she started singing with that wonderful voice and it just made you feel good inside.

It almost justifies the whole Simon Cowell talent show extravaganza.

There was a dance troupe on there called 'Flawless' who I was also quite sceptical about but they completely stunned me with their brilliance.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

She needs a haircut.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    Yeah, she was a bit of a red herring. They set her up to be this bumbling Scottish fool who we could all have a good old chuckle at and she'd disappear back into the wilderness and no one cares but then she started singing with that wonderful voice and it just made you feel good inside.
    Yes. That was amazing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The only reason she didn't wow me was that she sounds very much like (but isn't quite as good as) the Fantine I know. Which is great, except it means I'm not blown away by it.

The video's still great though. I love the girl who rolls her eyes near the beginning and then looks all amazed after she starts singing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought she was very good, but not the best I've ever seen on Britain's Got Talent. I wish they would have edited it so the applause was quieter so you could hear her singing more and not just applause.

Love's Young Nightmare Nevrmore's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonderful voice, but if she was acting that way just because that's her natural personality, and not because she was nervous, then she's really annoying.

"I'm 47." *pelvic thrusting motions* "But that's just one side of me!"

That had me wondering for awhile.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to Britains old people and thier sense of humour.

I saw a woman while I was at the doctors this morning with the exact same sense of humour/personality.
    She didn't do the pelvic motions, but similar jokes, talking to people who don't want to listen etc.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I had only sen a little bit of her singing before, and Cowell giving her a standing ovation at the end. I had just now seen the whole thing, and Britons are incredibly silly. This even makes American Idol look staid and intellectual.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Wonderful voice, but if she was acting that way just because that's her natural personality, and not because she was nervous, then she's really annoying.

"I'm 47." *pelvic thrusting motions* "But that's just one side of me!"

That had me wondering for awhile.
    Eh, better to have a somewhat flamboyant personality than to have none at all. She would have been far less fun as a contestant had she been some mousy elder woman with absolutely no personality to speak of. Granted she has a voice that is strong enough that her personality doesn't matter nearly as much, and I'm sure some of the way she acted could be contributed to nerves, but it is the entertainment business, and people who aren't memorable or interesting seem to fall away from the spotlight no matter how good they are at what they do. Besides, it seems like she knew she had a somewhat nice voice, but she obviously wasn't as confident in her skills as she had every right to be.

a wheel within a wheel never ending nor beginning on an ever spinning reel
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that gave me a warm tingly humans-can-be-lovely feeling

then I realised that the only difference between complete cynicism and abuse, and love, praise and memory were the old lady's vocal chords.

I don't know, it's both uplifting and disheartening to see that humanity can be so arbitrarily ambivalent.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll admit to being a douchebag and say I got a little choked up. It was like everyone was ready to make fun of her (which they were before she started) and then she just busts out with this beautiful voice.

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    Welcome to Britains old people and thier sense of humour.
    Yep. She's damn British.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETPG26ALE&feature=related"]YouTube - Susan Boyle sings "Cry Me a River" on a 1999 Charity CD[/ame]

I like her version of Cry Me a River better. I think it's quite amazing.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually that was pretty incredible.

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hate to be the dick here (ok i really don't mind) but I loved her on the clip above, however I saw her tonight on Larry King and she sang the Titanic theme song and it was only so-so. I really think it would be cool for this lady to have a new career take off, and I think it will, but she really isn't that good. I think what happened it she practiced that one song over and over and over and was really good at it, but can't actually sing for crap - thing of someone who does impersonations, she just impersonated an opera singer for that particular song. She has no vocal training (I have a decent amount, so I tend to naturally be the dick who judges people singing abilities even though I can't sing for crap these days myself) which furthers my point.

She is really good, but just at that one song Search youtube later for when people post her clip from Larry King, she really is pretty terrible and it sucks that the judge from the show is also on there and lauding her abilities even after Larry asks her to sing and she sucks ass

edit: as a caveat, and to reinforce an earlier point in my post, she will definitely make a million dollars because come on, studio magic can touch up anything and she is certainly par if not above par for singing abilities before the mixer person works their magic. She is pretty good but not anything as spectacular as the media outlets are putting her out there as. Damn, I'm a jerk (I'd love to see her and her story be the next superstar), but it seriously is the truth.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Scarf View Post
    She has no vocal training (I have a decent amount, so I tend to naturally be the dick who judges people singing abilities even though I can't sing for crap these days myself) which furthers my point.

She is really good, but just at that one song Search youtube later for when people post her clip from Larry King, she really is pretty terrible and it sucks that the judge from the show is also on there and lauding her abilities even after Larry asks her to sing and she sucks ass

edit: as a caveat, and to reinforce an earlier point in my post, she will definitely make a million dollars because come on, studio magic can touch up anything and she is certainly par if not above par for singing abilities before the mixer person works their magic. She is pretty good but not anything as spectacular as the media outlets are putting her out there as. Damn, I'm a jerk (I'd love to see her and her story be the next superstar), but it seriously is the truth.
    Wikipedia disagrees.

Early on she received some professional voice training in Livingston, Scotland
    Although I must agree, I do half agree with you. She's not the most amazing singer in the world. But her version of Cry Me A River as posted above makes me think she does have a significant amount of talent. And since that was just a charity album recorded 10 years ago for a school, I doubt there's much studio magic going on.
    Last edited by simonj; 04-18-2009 at 06:08 AM.