Thread: Are these the same?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are these the same?

I'm looking at two 9800GTX+'s on Newegg, both are EVGA, and priced at $135 + a $10 MIR. They look slightly different, and besides that the only specific differences are the core clock. One is 675 and the other is 738MHz. Is one just the OC'd model? Or did EVGA just rerelease the same card at a higher core clock because they knew they could do it without increasing voltage? It doesn't say that its their OC'd model, which is what made me think its the latter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130339

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130376

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only thing I suspect is that the second card may be not just the Superclocked version (even though it does not specify), but is it chance that it is also a newer card revision? I know older cards in the 9 series were G92, but I don't know what the 200 series is or whatever. I haven't built a computer since last June, so I'm a little rusty.

If you happen to buy either card, please report back as to how it runs. I am looking to upgrade soon myself, and having an over the shoulder experience will better my envisioning of how my computer would run under similar circumstances.

EDIT: Looks like Card #2 has HDMI capabilities, with a dongle or adapter at least. Other than that and the redesign and upped clock speed, I see no other differences.
    Last edited by linkinkampf19; 04-15-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA (Primary) - 640GB WD Black (Storage) - Lite-On LH-20AIL

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, they are not the same. The second one is clocked slightly higher than the first, and it has an HDMI port, whereas the other one doesn't.
    Check out the specifications tab to see the clock speeds...its not even 100mhz, but still...the HDMI port is a nice addition.

Get the second one.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    No, they are not the same. The second one is clocked slightly higher than the first, and it has an HDMI port, whereas the other one doesn't.
    Check out the specifications tab to see the clock speeds...its not even 100mhz, but still...the HDMI port is a nice addition.

Get the second one.
    The second one doesn't have HDMI, just an adapter. DVI is basically HDMI minus the audio signal. Since the second one does come with this adapter and is slightly clocked higher and is the same price, it's a no brainer to get that one.

And if it isn't what that page says it is, Neweggs service is badass and will make everything good.

Also note that the new GTX 250s are the 9800GTX+ renamed and shit. I don't know how they compare specs wise to the old ones but the prices appears to be about the same

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, it is just an adapter. I didn't see that bit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I've decided to go with a different card anyway. The Sapphire ATI 4870 seems like too good of a deal to pass up. And hopefully it'll be cheaper by the time I end up ordering it, because I'll need a new PSU and I can't afford all that right now (I just ordered a new mobo, more RAM, and a new CPU fan/heatsink so I can overclock comfortably).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice choice . I have a Sapphire ATI 4870 X2 2GB and I'm very happy with it.