Thread: Guitarists, help please

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Guitarists, help please

Okay, I just bought my first strat after playing on a Telecaster for a long time. Different bridge system so I'm unfamilair with it. Anyways, it came stock with some light gauge strings. They broke last week so I bought some heavier strings (10-46) and just strung the guitar out then started tuning. The tension was higher than I expected and then I noticed the bridge. It seems to be way too high. Idk about this, I'm not familiar with strats. The back of the bridge sits about a quarter of an inch out of it's seating. Is this normal? I might be able to post pics later. But if it's not cool beans, how do i fix this? Tremolo arm was out of the guitar also.

Edit: Yes, I don't have a Gibson LP either, I want one though
    Last edited by Gibson LP; 04-15-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you have a floating bridge system, the increased tension from higher gauge strings will raise it. I don't know exactly about strats, but there should be a few screws in the plate at the back that control bridge tension. If you're brave, loosen those off with a screwdriver to release tension from the bridge. This can possibly fuck with your action if you do it too much.

also, maybe I am just unfamiliar with electric guitar strings, but 10-46 sounds more like extra light gauge.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It could be do to with the springs, I'd open the back up and check them if I were you. One might have come off.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It most likely is the strings under the back plate. I've had the same issue, scared the crap out of me when I first did it. Unfortunately I haven't found a work around for it; I've tried tightening the strings on the back as far as they'll go but the action still remains too high and it still looks like the bridge is being ripped out of the body.

Apparently most strats come with only three springs under the back panel and it can support up to five, which most likely would give you the tension you need to support heavier gauge strings.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Take it to a guitar tech (Sam Ash or something) and replace the bridge. My friend did it and the action is as close as wizard ii neck; it still sucks when you go up the neck because its a Squier, but Squier's are just super cheap and your action is probably like ever other strat.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dont get a Les Paul, I have one and it weighs about 30,000 tons

An SG is lighter, cheaper and is really easy to use so get one instead. I got mine for about $350 but the guy gave me a "reduced price" so I didnt have to pay import tax
    YO HO YO HO

ceci n'est pas une signature

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After reading this over again, I realize that you meant fender rather than "first guitar"