Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God dammit Hollywood, NO, NO, NO, NO!!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default God dammit Hollywood, NO, NO, NO, NO!!

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=23115

So it appears that there are plans for a movie...of Shadow of the Colossus. God fucking dammit Hollywood. As someone mentions on that link, it should get people to play the game, which is a good thing, but other than that this is a terrible idea.

As I am sure, those who have played this game will tell you, it just wouldn't make the transition from game to movie. There is hardly any dialogue in the game and it has only the barest of plot pretences. The joy of this game comes from the actual experience of it, which is a pretty unique experience and I simply fail to see how this could translate onto the big screen. The link hints that they might write in bigger roles for some of the characters who are barely present in the game to try and give it more substance, however non of this in my opinion will lead to the successful capture of what made the game such a great game. Hollywood always do this, they tend to remove the elements which made the game great and replace it with a torrent of dissapointment.

I am not pleased with this news. Why should I bother caring? Purely because I love this game and I would hate to see it spoiled on the big screen, which is almost inevitable.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next up: a movie version of Braid.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

next up

Tetris: the movie

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The Deadliest Volley: A Pong Tale

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

all of them starring shia labeouf

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    all of them starring shia labeouf
    Lol. That is a good one too Mr E. Trapped in a world he didn't understand, a world frought with danger at everyturn, there is one who does not shy away from danger and death, one who makes a stand and goes for the impossible, Shia Lebouf in Frogger the Movie.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Portal: The Cake Is Out There

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Super Mario Brothers... oh, wait.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    Super Mario Brothers... oh, wait.
    That movie in the end bore little resemblance to the video game, if I recall correctly.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Super Mario Brothers is one of the greatest films of our generation, and the fact that the Academy ignored it is a travesty.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IGN Filmlog
    Currently entering production is Fox Media's 'Tetris'.

In a world where everything is coming down, how far will you go to fit in?

An erotic thriller starring Starring Zac Braff as 'Square', Dennis 'The Blade' Quad at 'T-Piece', Amanda Peet as 'Straight Line', and introducing Cole and Dylan Sprouse as 'The Z Twins'.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Legend of Dragoon: The motion picture. Runtime: 9 days.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    Legend of Dragoon: The motion picture. Runtime: 9 days.
    I would watch a Legend of the Dragoon movie

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As would I but it would undoubtedly be the longest movie ever made. And you know there would be a part where you had to go back and level before moving on because you can't kill the boss you're on. I still haven't beat that fucking game. I'm almost on disc four.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a world gone mad an entire people had to flee Armageddon as it rained down from the skies. Now, they have to settle on an island and completely rebuild their shattered world.

The Long Road Forward: Settlers of Catan

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they should do a Grand Theft Auto movie. that could actually work.
    there's like no spoken dialogue in that game. i hope they don't f*ck up.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryBlue View Post
    they should do a Grand Theft Auto movie. that could actually work.
    there's like no spoken dialogue in that game. i hope they don't f*ck up.
    Crank.

Crank 2.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heroes of Might and Magic: oh shit that's a lot of dragons
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wipeoutttttt.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there is a zork nemesis movie, but it's only 45 seconds long, the screen is pitch black and towards the end there is some chomping noises

feat nermy i suppose
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Final Fantasy: Evolutions
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how does this movie effect your love for the game in any way shape or form

if it's bad just don't watch it and you'll be exactly as happy as you are now you dumb

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't effect one's enjoyment of the game, but if a person has somekind of feeling tied to the game and would like someone else to have that feeling - for example, I dunno, the end of Ico - the odds of said person playing that game are a lot less likely if the movie is shit.

Plus, people like seeing good representations of their favorite IPs on the screen, because it invokes nostalgia, etc.

Long story short, you're dumb.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

strip tetris the movie feat samuel l jackson

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    It doesn't effect one's enjoyment of the game, but if a person has somekind of feeling tied to the game and would like someone else to have that feeling - for example, I dunno, the end of Ico - the odds of said person playing that game are a lot less likely if the movie is shit.

Plus, people like seeing good representations of their favorite IPs on the screen, because it invokes nostalgia, etc.

Well put.

Discovering this game was like a revelation for me, it is a masterclass in game design. And it makes me sad to see games that I love, which I have fond memories of, being put up on the big screen and butchered in a terrible attempt to milk it's appeal. Faesce how can you not get this? I am sorry if this is alien to you, but it certainly doesn't make me dumb.

Not only that, if anyone has played SotC, they will know just how unfilmable it is. And this isn't like LotR was said to be, it isn't because we lack the special effects etc to make it work, indeed the only thing they will be able to capture is the epic look, but I strongly doubt it will be able to capture the heart and soul of the game, it is something for which video games are the best medium. It can only really be expressed on a video game. And the changes they would need to make in order to make it a viable movie would uttery destroy it as a faithful adaptation, and it is Hollywood's seemingly steely determination to never do this that causes most video game-movie translations to be utterly shit.

The only way it could be filmable if it was some sort of art house movie, since the game itself is a bit of an art house game, but it just isn't viable as a mainstream Hollywood movie.

To sum up, it is just a horrible idea.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did like the Silent Hill movie, which I found to be a master-class in framing shots and atmosphere, but the acting and story were "huh".

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They really need to do a Dungeons and Dragons movie... I'm envisioning Matthew Broderick and one of the Wayans brothers.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    They really need to do a Dungeons and Dragons movie... I'm envisioning Matthew Broderick and one of the Wayans brothers.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190374/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0808622/

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    I think Jeremy Irons would work better, and maybe an unknown, like Justin Whalen, would really round out the cast.

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow hahaha

i couldnt imagine being big enough of a nerd to care about something that i could choose to not watch affecting my vision of a fantasy world

check it out ~ hahahah

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by gismo View Post
    Well put.

Discovering this game was like a revelation for me, it is a masterclass in game design. And it makes me sad to see games that I love, which I have fond memories of, being put up on the big screen and butchered in a terrible attempt to milk it's appeal. Faesce how can you not get this? I am sorry if this is alien to you, but it certainly doesn't make me dumb.

Not only that, if anyone has played SotC, they will know just how unfilmable it is. And this isn't like LotR was said to be, it isn't because we lack the special effects etc to make it work, indeed the only thing they will be able to capture is the epic look, but I strongly doubt it will be able to capture the heart and soul of the game, it is something for which video games are the best medium. It can only really be expressed on a video game. And the changes they would need to make in order to make it a viable movie would uttery destroy it as a faithful adaptation, and it is Hollywood's seemingly steely determination to never do this that causes most video game-movie translations to be utterly shit.

The only way it could be filmable if it was some sort of art house movie, since the game itself is a bit of an art house game, but it just isn't viable as a mainstream Hollywood movie.

To sum up, it is just a horrible idea.
    holy fuck i can't believe people like this exist

its a video game bro relax

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, when they make a movie about your bong and get the story so incredibly fucking wrong that it irritates you, I'm sure you'll be whistling a different tune. Or they give the incorrect number of dicks you've sucked to get where you are, you'll scratch your head.

It's just like book adaptations: People want them done well because people connect with books. If LotR was made into a movie using sock puppets weilding dildos, I'm sure it would have ruffled a few feathers. But that also goes for non-fantasy.

I'm sorry you don't get emotionally invested in your hobbies, but then again, you're a fuckstick so I should have expected about as much from you.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well, though his argument may lack refinement, maesce does have a point. If you find yourself becoming 'emotionally invested' in video games, I think it is time to take a step back and examine some things.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you not get emotionally invested in movies? In books? What if you have a greater deal of interacting with the characters other than passivley watching?

Just saying, people cry at movies.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm not a particularly emotional person, nor am I easily offended, and I am also easily amused, so I may not be the best person to make an objective analysis here, but I was just saying that, from the standpoint of social standards, being emotionally invested in video games is probably not the best thing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you not get emotionally invested in movies? In books? What if you have a greater deal of interacting with the characters other than passivley watching?

Just saying, people cry at movies.
    Evoking emotion does not equal emotional investment. Investment in this context is where someone starts to base a significant part of their life, worldview, ego etc around something.

Also agreed on investment in video games being unhealthy.
    Last edited by ephekt; 05-04-2009 at 05:27 PM.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What? My world view is not shaped by the games I play, but I feel emotionally envoked and invested in some games. It's really not that far off base.

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

emotionally invested? are you a fucking woman?

ahah holy shit

and

If LotR was made into a movie using sock puppets weilding dildos, I'm sure it would have ruffled a few feathers.
    why would it bother anybody

people remix songs all the time that i dont care for; it doesn't effect my perception of the original in any way shape or form

notice how people are disagreeing with you (take the hint bro)

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hang on i get emotionally invested in books, video games, movies and plenty of other storytelling mediums but i don't care if someone makes a bad adaptation of something i like

i mean, i get angry than an opportunity for a good movie/book/video game/[whatever] is wasted (like i did watching wolverine), but i don't feel like it's ruined my experience of anything

maesce's right, he's just being an asshole about it.

there's no need to care when someone makes a bad adaptation of something. there are two reasonable states of emotion when you learn that someone's adapting something you like: 1) excitement and 2) not caring.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

bottom line is that the original post is silly because movies don't ruin games unless like they tell you the plot twist or something

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I the only one out there who thought Shadow of the Colossus was just alright and not this amazing gift of God? Maybe I had to play Ico to really care about the characters but when there's little to no dialogue I really could care less about the story. I don't know maybe I have to play it again since I haven't played it almost 4 or 5 years but I don't remember being that impressed by it.