Thread: My mouse died :(

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default My mouse died :(

So, it finally bit the bullet. After almost three years, my Logitech MX518's wheel died. The rest of the mouse, while gimped due to the sudden loss, is working perfectly, however, I need my scroll. Although I'm not in the best of econic positions to be buying another mouse, I need some hands in the air to recommend me a new mouse, just for kicks, but still in the plane of reality. No $80 mice, and hopefully not the MX518 again (it's actually more expensive now than when I first bought it). The G5 looks mighty nice and I've been wondering if the grass is greener on the Microsoft or Razer sides of the fence. The Deathadder looks good, but I rather liked the thumb crevice the 518 had, this my G5 love. I honestly don't know much about the Microsoft mice, as I know they have a lot of mice with the no-friction wheel now, and I need clickiness.

I'm thinking this might be the best time to splurge and go all out on my computer. Get a new mouse, keyboard (been eying the G11 for a while), and finally save enough money for a GTS 250 (maybe a GTX 260 if I deem my PSU powerful enough) and a new 500GB SATA.

So, lowly denizens of CD, please heed the beckoning of my call. Help out a poor bastard like myself, and give me money suggestions. The mouse is currently the most important, but any pointers on my current build would be wonderful.

Here's my current setup, probably sitting around on CD somewhere anyways:

Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz (Windsor) - EVGA 8600GTS 256MB
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech MX518 (deadish ) - Logitech Basic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA - 160GB Maxtor IDE - 40GB WD IDE - Lite-On LH-20AIL
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA (Primary) - 640GB WD Black (Storage) - Lite-On LH-20AIL

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Microsoft mice are ok, I had a Habu which was a microsoft/razer mouse, it broke after just over a year of use - so they arent that reliable, also the drivers were a right pain in the arse to install (on XP).

Im currently using a Roccat Kone, and I love it.

Although I still have my old MX510 for my laptop

As for the new rig, what games are you going to be playing?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my dog died over easter
    YO HO YO HO

ceci n'est pas une signature

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I treated my mouse like a real live pet, this is the computer forum. I don't think dogs can be used as tracking devices... unless you cut yourself and run away...

[PS]Sorry for your loss?[/PS]

EDIT: While certainly looking nice, I've never heard of Roccat. Looks to be UK only. And I may try Ebay, but I'm not too sure. Also seems a bit pricy. 50 Euros ~ $75 amirite? Out of my range. Thanks though.
    Last edited by linkinkampf19; 05-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you.

On a slightly more on topic note, you guys seem to know a bit about computers. I need a new laptop thats relatively cheap. Any suggestions?
    YO HO YO HO

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well you are a sailor, and possibly a pirate, as you just hijacked my thread :P

But yeah, as for a laptop, are you looking for ultra portable or gaming grade? Something like the eee or the Aspire One would fit nicely if you're looking for something to tote around for basic internetting. I don't know much about gamer laptops though. I've always thought that heavy gaming should be left to the pros, the desktops.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought this a few months ago for a gaming laptop. It works wonderfully. I've never had a problem with it.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218043606827
    It runs all the old games and TF2, Empire Total War, and all that runs flawlessly on the highest of settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    Well I like penis

so there

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

s'expensive
    YO HO YO HO

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might I as price range? The two I mentioned can be gotten for as little as $300-400 I think. And that price just goes up when you start adding in stuff like an SSD instead of a HDD, more RAM, etc. And don't think it'll play new games nicely, though there are website out there that exist just to show what you can and cannot run on them.

So yeah, back to me. Any other suggestions? I'm currently talking to Logitech through e-mail, and not of their remedies have worked yet. So hoping that my mouse is still under warranty... which I doubt.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love my Razer Lachesis. Its a great mouse, but only if you like smaller mice or don't have super huge hands. The shape is comfortable, but takes some getting used to.

I would HIGHLY recommend the OCZ Gaming Mouse. Its only 2500dpi, but is one of the most spectacular mice I have ever used. Plus its only $20 fucking dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826100001 It has just the right amount of buttons, a great feel, a fucking awesome 3 shot burst button that works in every game with every weapon I've tried, and it is very responsive. Not sure what OS you're running, but people have said the drivers don't work with 64bit Windows. I'm not sure if this is just not true, or my friend just doesn't have the drivers installed on his 64bit rig, but it works great with Vista64.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks srs, I'll keep those mice in mind. The OCZ one even looks like one to use as a backup, especially due to its price. The Lachesis is very nice as well, though it does seem like the ergonomics took a backseat to hardcore-ness. Still, it's one to put aside in my wish list...

BTW, Logitech told me my MX518 was indeed out of warranty, and I knew, I was just hoping they'd have a heart and give me a voucher or coupon or something. But nigh 6 months after the warranty expires (10/08), the thing gets permanently disabled... I can't even zoom in Oblivion anymore