Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting an iPhone

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thinking about getting an iPhone

Well, what the title of the thread says.

Who has one here? What do you think about it, pros/cons?
    Is it worth the price to get the bigger one. I will be using it as an mp3 player too.
    I mean, do apps fill it up quickly?
    Are you happy with it, is it heavy in your pocket?

Discuss.

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i really know little to nothing about this particular device and it's competition however it's been released for a while now and

technology * time = better technology

may want to consider waiting for the next great mobile device 8)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i haven't heard anything about a new big type of mobile, so looks like iphone has that for a while.
    also the new type of iphone has been released fairly recently, but i thought i had heard something about an even newer type of iphone coming out this year.

i looked into it a little, and turns out there was nothing to it. maybe an iphone nano, but not for a while.

tl;dr: thanks but i thought of that

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rgr gl

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

iPhones are generally for a people who do a lot of time killing while they are out and about. I don't have one, but I know about fitty-le'em people who do. The ones who have a lot of free time at their job or at school between classes or whatever use it all the time. The people with more to do, or who can get home instead of being stranded somewhere they don't want to be, only use their for phone calls.

That's what I got.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have aone but I came up with a list of pros and cons.

Pros
    - Its an iPod and a phone so you don't need to have both of them on you.
    - You can download a crap load of apps for it and they're making new ones all the time
    - Its got a nice web browser that I think you can go on wherever. Heard its pretty fast, too.

Cons
    - The reason I won't get it is because of the price. Over here in the US its like 60 bucks a month if you want all the features.
    - The largest capacity is like 32gb so if you have a lot of music you won't be able to put all of it on there. Like I have 40 gigs on my iPod which isn't enough for the iPhone.

Maybe you should compare it with the new Google phone. I heard that it might be better than the iPhone.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The google phone is for T-Mobile and the device itself is pretty clunky looking.

Me personally, I don't own one but I know a lot of people that do. I don't particularly care for them because I'm not a huge fan of touch screens for cellular devices. Also, my friend who has one told me you have to pay an extra 2 dollars to be able to turn the device sideways to text. Sure it's only 2 bucks but the fact that they nick and dime you for a feature like that is shitty.

I've been hearing rumors Apple is brewing up something new if memory serves right. I don't know how much time you have left to decide but I'd do some research and see if Apple has any kind of press event coming up. They might be releasing something new.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My opinion of the iPhone is that its overrated. A phone is a phone. It's the ultimate device for the person who yearns to be with the "in crowd."

There are plenty of apps and functions that would make the phone worthwhile. If you want to be cool, get any touch tone phone. If you want to use your phone as an mp3 player, well your search just got narrowed to about 1,000 different phones.

Just do what you want. Go play with one.

On a sidenote, my job supplied me with a Blackberry Storm. Sweet phone and I actually use it like a Blackberry should be used. I'm sure if I had an iPhone I would use it the same. GL

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get the samsung i7500 as soon as it comes out.
    http://www.product-reviews.net/video...-video-review/

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I bought the 16gb 3G one today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    iPhones are generally for a people who do a lot of time killing while they are out and about. I don't have one, but I know about fitty-le'em people who do. The ones who have a lot of free time at their job or at school between classes or whatever use it all the time. The people with more to do, or who can get home instead of being stranded somewhere they don't want to be, only use their for phone calls.

That's what I got.
    Nice. I tend to have a lot of free time on my hands, so it will serve me well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdisciple View Post
    I don't have aone but I came up with a list of pros and cons.

Pros
    - Its an iPod and a phone so you don't need to have both of them on you.
    - You can download a crap load of apps for it and they're making new ones all the time
    - Its got a nice web browser that I think you can go on wherever. Heard its pretty fast, too.

Cons
    - The reason I won't get it is because of the price. Over here in the US its like 60 bucks a month if you want all the features.
    - The largest capacity is like 32gb so if you have a lot of music you won't be able to put all of it on there. Like I have 40 gigs on my iPod which isn't enough for the iPhone.

Maybe you should compare it with the new Google phone. I heard that it might be better than the iPhone.
    Awesome. I ended up getting one today, paid 60 quid for the handset and 45 quid a month (10 quid for insurance). I figured I may as well, since I was paying 35 a month for my previous phone, so for getting an iPhone, I don't see it as much of an increase. The contract is for 24 months (figured I wouldn't be changing soon if I had an iPhone) but I can get rid of the extra 10 for insurance whenever I want. I wasn't going to get the insurance, but then thought I should since I drop my current phone all the time, and if I dropped the iPhone as much as that, it'd be scratched/broken/smashed within a week.
    I get more minutes than I need and I'm pretty sure I get enough texts, although I'm not sure.

The only gay thing is I need to transfer all my contacts by hand, and I realised last night that the iPhone doesn't play .wma (unless someone knows of a way?) and all of my music is .wma, so I need to convert it all to .mp3 which is effort and will take a while.
    Anyone know a good free program to do something like that btw? Like in bulk. Its all in a music folder, with subfolders done by artist, which have subfolders done by album.

Anyway, another gay thing I just thought of is that I need to sync is with iTunes. I don't like iTunes. I've read online that you can get it to sync with wmp, has anyone here done it? I think you need to download an app for the iPhone, or maybe an addon for wmp, or both, I'm not entirely sure.

What have you guys heard about that?
    Last edited by ShitFace; 05-06-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't you convert all your .wma files in iTunes then use iTunes to put your music on the iPhone?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure, I don't have iTunes.
    I'm fairly certain I read last night that iTunes can't open .wma files due to it being a windows file, similar to how wmp can't open .aac. I assume this would include converting from.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have iTunes and when you load a library of .wma it will ask you if you want them converted to work with iTunes. From there you can drag and drop said files into your iPod. I'm sure the ways of transferring music to an iPhone is the same as the iPod.

http://hubpages.com/hub/add-wma-in-itunes

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

O well

I guess the internet I was reading from is wrong. Awesome.
    Well, that makes things a lot easier, I will try that.

Also, btw just fyi I've never owned an iPod, so I don't know how to do that either ^^

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm downloading iTunes. I feel dirty.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

iTunes blows. I think I'm gonna buy a Storm to replace my piece of shit Samsung Glyde.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see why iTunes gets such a bad rap. I think it's pretty intuitive and accessible for anyone. It's easy to sort and make playlists and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    iTunes blows. I think I'm gonna buy a Storm to replace my piece of shit Samsung Glyde.
    I just the Curve 8330 and I love it. I hear that the Bold is coming to Verizon sometime in the coming months. You might want to hold out on the Storm unless you want the whole touch interface. There's also rumors that a new Storm might be coming at the end of the year.
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 05-06-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, the only reason I might be buying one is because my buddy's sister has one and she doesn't like it, and she's willing to sell it to me for like 75 bucks. And I don't really want to wait because my phone is broken almost beyond usability anymore.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

itunes is slow as shit and is limited in what it can play. That being said I do use it occasionally.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How long do you have to charge the iPhone for the first time? Its usually like 8 hours for phones, but I've read from, pretty much everywhere that the iPhone has a different type of battery and only needs like 3-4 hours from a wall socket.
    True?

I'm kinda thinking it is, cos I've got links that are saying stuff that kinda goes along with it, and says nothing about a first charge.
    And everywhere is saying it doesn't take long to charge to full.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh sure, a 'English (United States)' option and no 'English(United Kingdom)' option in the iTunes installer.

see this is exactly what i mean

(lol)
    they're also gay for forcing quicktime on me

edit: oh god itunes is converting all my music as we speak and its sorting it by artist i think. what is it going to do to all the various artist cds i have. it's butchering my music collection.
    yeah. all my mixed albums just show up 1 song. gay. suggestions?

upon further looking, what the fuck. its ruined my music selection. can i get itunes to do everything by album and not artist? cos i mean, otherwise a lot of my music is just, well it'd take a lot of moving 1 song around at a time to sort it out until i could add these albums to the iphone album by album.

christ my inner rage is building i am going to stop for now otherwise this will turn into a rant about how itunes SUCKS DICK.

edit: also for fellow itunes/iphone owners, when it says its syncing, what exactly is going on. cos i just tried to sync my music and it tried to add every song i had.
    and syncing contacts...whats it doing exactly?

and how the fuck do i put music on this fucking thing
    Last edited by ShitFace; 05-06-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If an artist has a song featuring someone, change it so that its not featuring anyone. anyway, can't you just go to albums and play off there?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should've known what you got yourself into when you bought an Apple product. Bitching won't fix it.

Right click on a song, and click "Get info" This will allow you to edit information on each song. You can also edit multiple songs by Ctrl click or Shift click and right clicking Get Info. This will allow you to edit multiple information on a large group of songs.

Adding music is easy on an iPod. Its drag the songs you want and drop it onto the iPod label on the left hand menu.

You can have iTunes sort the song lists by the horizontal bar above your song lists. It will have Artists, Songs, etc.

Synching is when the device "syncs" its song list with your songs on your PC. So if you get new music the device will see this and add it to its library.

iTunes is pretty simple to use I have a hard time believing that you're struggling that much with it.

Did you try reading any help documents?
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 05-06-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea I suck at computers but I was able to use iTunes very easily. Just change everything so that the artist is the only artist. that should fix almost everything. My iPod is fixed up really nice. I have no duplicate artists and have cover flow for every album.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok well i can't drag and drop music straight onto the iphone on the left hand side menu, it just doesn't let me.
    the best i could do was create a playlist then add the playlist.

i am surprised so few people complain about it, and so many call it easy to use.
    i'm pretty annoyed about not getting a chance to say where to put the music when it converted it all...but like you say, bitching won't fix it.

I'm going to look into how to sync iphone with wmp lol. adding through a playlist is just silly.

either i'm really missing something on how to use itunes, and there is a simpler way to add music, or its a terrible program imo.
    you guys got any idea?

i'm also having trouble getting the first track of an album (yes its .mp3) to show up in itunes. its not showing up, which is strange cos the rest of the album is and its in the same directory. i've tried dragging it over, but nothing.
    why is itunes doing this?
    Last edited by ShitFace; 05-07-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The reason you can't drag and drop your songs over is cause it's set to "sync". You'll need to go under Preferences when your iPhone is plugged in. Somewhere in there there should exist an option to turn off automatic syncing and allow you to manually drag and drop your songs.

When the music converts, check under iTunes music folder, you can probably find this in the iTunes Program Files. The converted files might be there.

No idea why that one file isn't showing up. You sure its just not being sorted right?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks very much for the advice.
    I know where they were converted to, I just would have liked the option where to convert them to when it did it. It didn't, it just asked if I wanted to do it, then away it went.

Yeah, it's not that. I even got Mang to send me his .mp3 since I thought it might be something to do with the details (track number etc), which were all the same as the other tracks on the album...so I don't know about that one either.
    I think this may have happened with a couple other albums/tracks too...
    I ended up buying the track on the store for 79p....pretty gay.

edit: ah no, of course. my work around hasn't worked. it showed up in itunes, but when it added it to the iphone, it added 2 seperate 'albums' for this cd. one with tracks 2-9, the other with track 1.
    nvm. i fixed it somehow.
    Last edited by ShitFace; 05-07-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

first post from my iphone

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If anyone else ever tells me they got an iphone for the simplicity I am going to hit them with it and then send them a link to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thank you sponge

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, iPhones can essentially be used as GPS navigators, right? (Of course, that assumes you're in areas with coverage.) Considering that they cost just a little more than a GPS navigator, the initial price doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

I have an iPod Touch, so I am all too familiar with the reeming up the ass that is iTunes. You can do mostly what you want with it; it just isn't obvious all the time how to do it, and frequently it's not as easy as it should be...

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm starting to realise that about iTunes...its fucking annoying.

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to realise that about iTunes...its fucking annoying.
    Yeah it is pretty embarrassing that Microsoft's Zune software (recent revisions) kills iTunes. Sorry Apple, but looks like you've just got too good at sucking your own dick to see the huge one that's about to ream you in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah.
    My best friend keeps telling me itunes is the best music play around. Its really pissing me off.
    Don't suppose anyone could come up with a concise list of good reasons why its crap?

I'm not good in debates.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been using iTunes for about 4 years with my iPod and I've never hated it. I find it incredibly easy and intuitive to use. My only fault that I have had with it was never changing the default CD ripping settins from AAC to .mp3. To each his own I suppose.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't waste your money on any Apple products. It's funny, most Apple marks out there spent most of the 90's and early 2000's talking about how evil Microsoft was when it turns out Apple is that way today. A big greedy monopolist trying to smother the world with cheaply made computer products.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    I've been using iTunes for about 4 years with my iPod and I've never hated it. I find it incredibly easy and intuitive to use. My only fault that I have had with it was never changing the default CD ripping settins from AAC to .mp3. To each his own I suppose.
    This is what my friend says.
    I can see how it looks easy to use and it could be intuitive but, if you actually wanted to get it done your way, instead of just clicking next over and over it is not easy to use and intuitive lol.

As for apple products in general, I've never owned an iPod before so I can't really comment. I'm not a massive fan of macs because although they are good for art and design, they aren't good for much else, which is essentially what a computer is for, to do lots of things on one thing. A swiss army knife of sorts, if you will.

As for the iPhone, I love it. It is easy to use, intuitive (although an instruction booklet would have been nice...). I like how it shows up in my computer straight away, with the little iPhone icon as well, which is nice. Shame you can't open it up and just drag and drop music in and out like that, would have made things simpler and allow you to use it to share music with friends, but still.
    Easy to find out details such as firmware version and serial keycode.
    Lots of applications for it.
    The battery length is surprising as well, and if it increases the more you do full cycle charges, then even better.

The only thing I have a problem with is having to use iTunes, and how it works, and is laid out, how the options are laid out, how it sorts everything in one of the most retarded manners I've ever seen, how it skips some songs out randomly from cds when ripping/converting them over, and how it duplicates other songs.
    And how loads of people have never had a problem with it because they are happy just clicking next over and over and insist its the best music program around.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Well, iPhones can essentially be used as GPS navigators, right? (Of course, that assumes you're in areas with coverage.) Considering that they cost just a little more than a GPS navigator, the initial price doesn't seem like such a bad deal.
    Any smartphone with gps can be used as a gps navigator...And while their initial price isn't too bad you get fucked hard and fast on the contract.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My contract is only 5 pounds more than what I was paying previously.
    Its pretty good I think.

Maybe its just you guys who are getting fucked lol.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love how it's the guys that don't have iPhones, and aren't made to use iTunes that feel the need to spam forums with shit about how much it sucks and how great everything they use is.

If you don't have an iPhone why are you bitching about it?
    We don't care.

Compilation albums, that's a moot point, as you an arrange by album anyway.

For the record I have been using iTunes on my Mac for about 3 years now, and it has never once let me down. I batch converted all my WMA's with some little free app in about an hour, and everything else goes in fine. I simply drag al the songs I want on my iPhone into a playlist called iPhone, and sync that playlist.

How people can not find this simple, is beyond me.