Thread: Okay, I'm going into my cave...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Okay, I'm going into my cave...

After much hard work I am finally about to start an old school RPG. Though I located the SNES it will be neither Chrono Trigger nor FFVI. Instead, it will be a game I just purchased over the Wii Virtual Console. That in itself was an adventure.

First, I spent two hours in the garage and around the house looking for my LAN adapter. Once I finally found it I broke out the Wii for the first time in close to a year and connected everything. Go figure, the LAN adapter (purchased for 75% off) doesn't work. After a quick Google search I found that it is a Datel and that despite some good reviews on Amazon, connectivity is erratic at best. Now, being one of the handful of people without wireless internet, I thought I was screwed. Not so, it seems that even out here where a cell phone signal is weak, there are at least four wireless networks, three of which are unsecured. So, after a quick connection and a lengthy system update (prior to today my Wii had no idea what the internet is), I began the process of ordering Wii points. Now, I was a very bit leery of inputting my credit card info over the unsecured wireless signal but decided to live dangerously for once. Besides, my credit union has an excellent anti-fraud department. Since the move down here making online purchases has been tricky at best. Some require my old address and some my new, so after a few attempts I finally got it right.

Anyway, with a fresh balance of 1000 Wii points, I finally ended up at the RPG game menu. A (very) brief look at Breath of Fire II and it was on to page 3, where Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was located. I rented this game while on house arrest, right about the time I got my PlayStation. Since then I've eyed it enviously whenever I could find a worn-out SNES copy for $50 or more.

Long story short, I'll be playing this for a while. Housework, yardwork and even (egads!) the internet will take a temporary back burner.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What were you under house arrest for?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 5 View Post
    What were you under house arrest for?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was on house arrest for getting an early release from detention.

Okay, so I've gotten five of the stars, beefed up my characters to levels 13-16 or so, and completed a few of the side quests. It surprises me how short this RPG really is, had I spent less time leveling and exploring, I would likely be finished by now. It is a classic, but Paper Mario greatly expanded the amount of gameplay hours and interactivity. Speaking of which, I may actually finish Paper Mario: TTYD and Super Paper Mario after this.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    I was on house arrest for getting an early release from detention.
    ...go on...detained for...?

Sorry, your offense and punishment are far more interesting than the video games you're going to play.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought you were a drill sergeant. I bet it was a young boot that got you all fussed up.

EDIT - I never finished playing Paper Mario but care to share what the hell happens? I think I stopped playing afte getting to Yoshi Island.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pino Rage View Post
    I thought you were a drill sergeant. I bet it was a young boot that got you all fussed up.
    ...and by "all fussed up," I'm assuming you mean "all horned up."

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    7 stars is sooooo good holy fuck

definitely best game of my childhood
    Last edited by faesce; 06-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.