Thread: torrent question

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default torrent question

On my uTorrent this afternoon I noticed there was a peer in the list for one of my files who was connected, but wouldnt be downloading ever. Even when I would close uTorrent for like even a couple hours and then start it again, the peer would be connected but wouldnt download. I have no idea what he was doing, or why he was always connected but I blocked him in the meantime.
    Can anyone tell me what it could be or why there was a peer that would constantly connect to me? Im on a private tracker and am only seeding one torrent. Thanks.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He might have been trying to connect but was having no luck. In my personal opinion, block the connection just in case. It does seem sort of sketch that he was connected but not downloading. As far as i am aware, there are no "holes" so that people can access your personal HDD. I recommend a full system scan of more than one anti-virus software and a block on that specific IP address that was connecting to you. One block won't hurt your U/D rate.

What private tracker is it? Some trackers take their users very seriously and you might be able to even submit an email to the site to see what they could do.
    Just my 2 cents.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im a member on what.cd Im meant to do a full system scan, its just going take awhile because I almost have 2TB of crap to scan. I already blocked the IP. Thanks for the information.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup.
    From what i have heard, What.cd is pretty selective in who they keep around (ie. if you don't have good ratios your kicked). So it might just be that a guy was attempting to download something from you, or even uploading something specifically to you. No idea. But the chances of a guy trying to infiltrate your PC is slim. I'd still block the punkass though.

2 TB? Nice. What are you total system specs?
    Do you know how i would get into a private torrent site like what.cd ?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananallama! View Post
    Yup.
    From what i have heard, What.cd is pretty selective in who they keep around (ie. if you don't have good ratios your kicked). So it might just be that a guy was attempting to download something from you, or even uploading something specifically to you. No idea. But the chances of a guy trying to infiltrate your PC is slim. I'd still block the punkass though.

Do you know how i would get into a private torrent site like what.cd ?
    I have 3 total hardrives, seagate 7200.11 and 7200.10 but dont remember how many of which I have. I got a 1TB a 750GB and a 250GB and about to buy another 1TB or 1.5TB either seagate or WD and dedicate it to movies so I might get an external instead of internal. Aside from that I have a Q6600 that I had @2.8 and backed down to 2.7, aBit IP35 Pro, 8GB OCZ Gold RAM, and an EVGA 216 core GTX260.
    I had a negative infinity ratio until just this past 2 weeks because my school blocked the uploading ports so I couldnt seed but I made sure I stayed well below the grace period limits so I wouldnt get the boot or on ratio watch. The grace period is 0-5gb, 5-10gb ratio required is .15 and then at 10-20gb it is at .20 and then increases .1 for every 10gb downloaded. I had a friend who requested an invite on their IRC but from what he briefly said, they arent very fast to hand them out but he got one off there. I might have an invite on my account.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow. You have some hardcore storage capabilities going on there. Nice.

If you do, you think it possible that ya send me one through PM? I'm sure we can work something out.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's recommended not to go with the Seagate 7200.11 series. First they claimed firmware issues, but it seems to be more of a design issue. Plus, they dropped their OEM warranty from 5 years to 3 years - not very confident in their product.

However I wanted cheap storage, and got 4 1.5TB drives so far. I'll report back when they start to fail.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wanabedriver View Post
    It's recommended not to go with the Seagate 7200.11 series. First they claimed firmware issues, but it seems to be more of a design issue. Plus, they dropped their OEM warranty from 5 years to 3 years - not very confident in their product.

However I wanted cheap storage, and got 4 1.5TB drives so far. I'll report back when they start to fail.
    Thats what Ive been hearing lately and the reason why if I got another internal Id probably switch to a WD. Ive been pleased with their harddrives thus far. Ive been pretty regular on backing up my information should something happen.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.5 TB?? wow! talk about storage!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, I see no reason to use Seagate anything when the WD Blacks are so cheap and fast. MTBF is pretty much the same across ALL manufacturers anyway, anecdotal "my WD blew up and raped my kitten" accounts aside. The 1TB Blacks are like $99 on Newegg, and I believe the Samsungs are even less.

Quote Originally Posted by bananallama! View Post

Code:
    root@storage1:~# zpool list raid
    NAME   SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
    raid  3.41T  1.15T  2.26T    33%  ONLINE  -
    What.cd is pretty selective in who they keep around (ie. if you don't have good ratios your kicked).
    Oh man, I remember what bullshit ratios were in the 90s. No way I'd let that shit fly today.
    Last edited by ephekt; 06-23-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
    Honestly, I see no reason to use Seagate anything when the WD Blacks are so cheap and fast. MTBF is pretty much the same across ALL manufacturers anyway, anecdotal "my WD blew up and raped my kitten" accounts aside. The 1TB Blacks are like $99 on Newegg, and I believe the Samsungs are even less.
    I think Dell often sells the 1.5TB's for about $100 each. WHOA 500GB MORE FOR THE SAME PRICE.

Too bad it'll die.