Thread: stoner rock

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default stoner rock

i am a big fan of this strand of music and am looking for new bands that are of this kind.

the ones that i am into include:
    kyuss
    tumbleweed
    monster magnet
    truckfighters
    fu manchu
    mondo generator
    clutch
    hermano

any other suggestions are more than welcome
    quotes from the internet

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I live like 15 minutes from their lead singers house but early pre zaireeka flaming lips

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the ball is in my court, fuckers.

Kyuss is a band that has TONS of imitators, but luckily, they're all pretty solid. I'd check out Lowrider, Karma to Burn, Los Nadas, Colour Haze, and any post-Kyuss John Garcia project (Slo Burn, Unida, and I see you have Hermano up there). I'll also throw Queens of the Stone Age (along with The Desert Sessions) into that batch. They've constantly denied the stoner rock label, but their early stuff shows Josh Homme's Kyuss roots.

Pre-Powertrip Monster Magnet is the only way to go, brah; Spine of God and 25...Tab are fucking flawless. While no one combines stoner riffs and spaced-out rock quite like they do (The Atomic Bitchwax comes close), you should check out other psychedelic space rock bands such as White Hills, Farflung, The Freeks and perhaps even a little bit of Hawkwind.

Fu Manchu are pretty meh in my book, though I like a few of their albums. You should definitely give Nebula a go; the band was comprised of two (now one) ex-Fu Manchu members. They play a much more blues-oriented (think Cream/Blue Cheer) stoner rock and it sounds just grand. Brant Bjork (as well as his bands Brant Bjork and the Bros and Ché), the ex-drummer of Kyuss and Fu Manchu is a MUST. His first release Jalamanta is a seminal stoner rock release and most of his other stuff is top-notch as well.

Mondo Generator is definitely the bastard child of various genres and I gotta say I've yet to heard anything just like them. Check out Nick Oliveri's acoustic solo album and perhaps even a little bit of Dwarves (not stoner rock, but Nick Oliveri is close with the band and Dead Planet sounds a lot like a Dwarves release).

Clutch is a great example of when infectious stoner grooves are combined with southern rock. While I'm not the biggest Clutch fan, I can heartily recommend the band Weedeater. They're much heavier, but it's more of that stoner/southern rock blend. Check out Fatso Jetson as well.

Here are a few other suggestions:
    Scott Reeder - He's the ex-bassist for Kyuss. His album TunnelVision Brilliance was in the works for over 15 years (it definitely shows) and was released a few years ago. Not pure stoner rock, but a very good release.

Boris - This Japanese band is absolutely schizophrenic and plays whatever the hell they want, be it doom metal, crust punk, stoner rock, or noise music. Start with their album Pink and work your way out from there.

Wellwater Conspiracy - These guys are basically a side project of a side project, but they sound absolutely golden. With only two stable members, John McBain (ex-Monster Magnet) and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam) have created four catchy psychedelic garage rock albums.

Yawning Man - This is supposedly the first stoner rock band, dating all the way back to the mid-80s. They play a blend of stoner/surf instrumental rock with Middle Eastern influences. Kyuss covered one of their songs, Catamaran. Cannot recommend this band enough.

Sleep - Their album Sleep's Holy Mountain is a stoner doom classic. Check out Om and High on Fire while you're at it; both bands contain ex-Sleep members.

Melvins - These are the granddaddies of stoner/sludge metal. Check out Houdini or Stoner Witch and branch out from there. Be warned though, they have an odd sense of humor and have released entire "joke" albums (see Prick).

Others worth mentioning: Acid King, Gonga, Year Long Disaster, Graveyard, Ancestors, Goatsnake, Flower Travellin' Band, Electric Wizard, earthlings?, Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Orquesta del Desierto, Earth, Dozer, Blind Dog, Acid Bath, and Big Business.

PM me for any questions.
    Last edited by dudeman; 06-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    The fiery red Torino rolled to the curb, we hit the pavement ready for action.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Check out Entrance. It's not technically stoner rock, more psychedelic blues but when I listen to it I consider it hand in hand with the other stoner rock I listen to.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

cheers, will look up all of those
    quotes from the internet

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like these suggestions

May I also add The Warlocks and perhaps the Desert Sessions
    well i mean

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post