Thread: new harddrive came in today :\

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default new harddrive came in today :\

I ordered a 1TB external harddrive, 2 wireless routers, a WD 1TB internal HD, and a Rosewill external enclosure 2 nights ago, and it came in today shipped UPS. Opened the box, and dug down to my harddrive (wrapped in bubbled wrap) with an entire side of the bubble wrap completely flattened. One of the bubbles completely blew out and you can stick your finger through the entire bubble hole without a problem. Get it out of the wrap and the antic static bag has dimples in it (most likely from the circuit board). I am incredibly nervous about whether this harddrive will work or not, and am going to really pissed/disappointed if it is fried, and am leaving to go out of the country in a like 5 days and dont really want to have to deal with the RMA bullshit to replace it ontop of leaving for vacation. Im currently formatting the one external and its literally taking forever and I dont want to plug this 1TB WD in until the other is done formatting. It just got to 12% completion and its been about an hour. This is I think the 5th order on harddrives Im made from newegg and never experienced anything like this. The box doesnt really look damaged, and neither was like anything else in the shipping box and I honestly cant think of any reason how or why an entire side of the harddrive's bubble wrap was completely popped other than it got dropped prior to being put in the box.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how long until we say "Wow, I remember when 1TB harddrives were big, and now 800 TB harddrives are standard..."

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bubble wrap looks fine to me, just because one has a hole in it means nothing. And pointy portions of circuit boards DO leave indents on the static resistant bags, I would say you are probably OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickStivers View Post
    I hope I haven't missed my chance to join MrTroy 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I blame Obama. That nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    when mrtroy makes a valid point about your posting, you should probably kill yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    This site was always meant to end with a gay gangbang. It's destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I fucking hate niggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTroy View Post
    Gwahir and I have this little ongoing tiff. He seems to have that with a number of people who think he is a pretentious faggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrTroy View Post
    The bubble wrap looks fine to me, just because one has a hole in it means nothing. And pointy portions of circuit boards DO leave indents on the static resistant bags, I would say you are probably OK.
    All the bubbles on the one side of the harddrive were all flattened/popped. I put the harddrive into the external case I got and it seems to be working; recognized properly in device manager. I havent formatted it yet because Im still reformatting this other external harddrive. Once its done Im probably going to drop this WD into my computer install vista, pull my 500GB and drop it in the external case leaving the 250GB for my torrents, and the 1TB seagate as a backup drive.

I will be returning the Rosewill external harddrive case though; the right blue LED is broken :[

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're paranoid run spinrite on it and RMA if it finds any bad sectors. Or just RMA it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone else thinking if the box is perfectly ok that someone packing boxes for newegg just couldn't resist the urge to pop a few bubbles not realizing it would nearly cause the person receiving it to have a heart attack in fear of damaged goods?
    "Back in the old, dark days of the internet when men were men, women were men, and children were FBI agents, no one cared what people thought of them"

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, I don't blame you one bit for being concerned, it almost looks as though it had some weight sitting on it for a while, or even some weight dropped onto it. Hope it works.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Anyone else thinking if the box is perfectly ok that someone packing boxes for newegg just couldn't resist the urge to pop a few bubbles not realizing it would nearly cause the person receiving it to have a heart attack in fear of damaged goods?
    Because that happens all the time. Its also not like its common for harddrives to be damaged in shipping or arrive broken. The box had the tape at the bottom broken on the sides and the sides of the box had creases on them. The entire side where the harddrive was had all the bubbles popped; nobody does that or just happens to grab a sheet of already popped bubble wrap and then wrap it perfectly so that the popped ones are all on one side of the harddrive and on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by TPLefever View Post
    Hey, I don't blame you one bit for being concerned, it almost looks as though it had some weight sitting on it for a while, or even some weight dropped onto it. Hope it works.
    Thankfully its working. When I made the order I wanted to ship it by FedEx because UPS is pretty notorious for delivering broken harddrives and even on their site it says that all packages are subject to at least a 6ft vertical drop, but it was going to cost $45 to ship a package from newegg in NJ to MD with FedEx and $9 to do it UPS.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    When I made the order I wanted to ship it by FedEx because UPS is pretty notorious for delivering broken harddrives and even on their site it says that all packages are subject to at least a 6ft vertical drop, but it was going to cost $45 to ship a package from newegg in NJ to MD with FedEx and $9 to do it UPS.
    Hard drives are built to withstand upwards of 300 Gs of shock, so even a 6 ft. drop is not going to hurt a properly packaged drive. If you're worried about packing I'm not sure why you'd order from Newegg.
    Last edited by ephekt; 06-20-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: link