Thread: no idea what to do now

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default no idea what to do now

Im 21, graduated HS, have one year of college experience. I hated what I was doin in college, so I moved, and started automotive school. Now, after being fired from my second auto job in 3 months, Ive realized that workin on cars every day isnt really for me. But I have no idea where to go from here. My fiance Tiffany just told me she wants to postpone our wedding til 2011 after Ive had a job for a year cause we gotta save up. Do you think itll take THAT long to save up $2-3 grand (parents will help out)? I dont. But she just wants me to have a steady job for a year or so. I dunno what to do now, I thought things were going great at my job, then I made one small mistake, and got fired. The last time, I got laid off cause they didnt have enough business.

I feel like I cant do anything, like there is nothing out there that I could see myself doing. I would go back to school, but I dont wanna be wasting time like I did three years ago, where I was failing classes, and not really motivated. I feel stuck, like I cant do anything. I certainly dont want to lose Tiffany, I love her more than anyone, and I want us to have a good future together. What can I do?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go back to school but motivate yourself, it wont just fall into place for you.

If you put the work in, you'll get the rewards out.
    YO HO YO HO

ceci n'est pas une signature

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It sometimes takes until we are almost thirty to find our niche in life. I spent a number of years doing automotive and other mechanical work before realizing that it really wasn't what I wanted to do. I tended to hold onto the jobs for a year or two, but repetition grew boring and the job I really enjoyed and wanted to keep let me go after almost two years.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, you are at a pivot point. sailor jack offered decent advice, but at your age, with plans to get married within a couple of years and based on your previous experience shared in your earlier thread school might not be the best option. Putting yourself into more debt to get more education may not be a good idea in your early twenties, unless your parents plan on giving a lot of help. Trying to find a job now with a diploma, some college and vo-tech and perhaps attending some night classes after you get on your feet is going to be better than putting life on hold until you are 25 so you can start looking for a job with a Bachelor's in Journalism or whatever you might be interested in now. Many people have their degrees, experience is what is lacking.

Jobs nowadays are hard to come by. I shared my own automotive experience in that other thread and, while I don't regret the experience, I am glad I took the steps towards becoming who I am now. Keep on looking and if you enjoy repairing machines remember that there are many other types of jobs that your automotive training will help with. I started with Great Dane, moved to Cadillacs, then to a general repair shop and finally to Crown, Toyota and other lift trucks. When I retire from my current job I may look into going back to work on material handling equipment or even heavy equipment. I got out of the shop, away from over-the-shoulder supervision and had a chance to travel places and meet people when I worked on forklifts, floor scrubbers and so on.