Thread: RAID

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default RAID

I've never had RAID in any of my systems before, but when I build my new one in or around September, I'm going to give it a shot for extra storage, along with my primary solid state hard drive that I'll just use for software installation. Reason for this thread, I want to know how many of you have RAID in your systems, why, and at which level. Past experiences are also very welcome.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

That will tell you everything you need to know about the different RAID levels.

For storage you're probably going to want 1 or 5. I'd suggest a hardware controller if you care about speed. You can pickup Perc 5is for like $100 on ebay, just check compatibility with your motherboard.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know what RAID is and the different levels, I'm just curious as to who here uses it, what setup they have and why they do it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, it seemed like an odd question for someone aware of what RAID is.

Anyway, I use it for central storage for my PCs, HTPC, home automation stuff. I have a bunch of DVD's I've ripped, home movies, music etc that I either share or attach via iSCSI. My main goal was a central store for streaming music/video throughout the house. I started off with a Perc 5/i card, but now use RAIDz in ZFS.
    Last edited by ephekt; 07-01-2009 at 11:34 AM.