Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your plans for the future?

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What are your plans for the future?

This isn't some, what do you want to be when you grow-up, or what are you doing at the moment, this is a serious consideration of your plans for the next 5 years.

I know many of us are in school, many of us will be graduating, and others have other things on their plate, but I want to know what your plans are for the next 5 (and if you're eager/determined enough, 10) years.

For myself I have approximate 2 years left in my B.S. Electrical Engineering degree. After that is where it gets hazy, I know for certain I want to pursue some sort of graduate school, but I am weighing either an M.S. in Electrical Engineering or Law School (International Law/Intellectual Property). I've been seriously considering both options now for some time and I will enter into one of them (or both). The issue is money and grades. At the moment I'm pretty steady at a 3.0 GPA, which for an engineer is damn good. The downside is that Law Schools (particularly the ones I am aiming for) are looking for 3.5 or 3.8 (in addition to a stellar LSAT). So that's one of the things I need to consider.

The question is also as to when I will be going to grad school. I am, also, at the moment considering joining the Peace Corps which is a 27 month commitment but also inline with my humanitarian effort that I am involved in. If I do this and then go to school after, I feel that I would be entering late in the game and no one would want me anymore.

So to sum up in the next 5 years I will have either: Graduated and gone to a far off land, or graduated and be 2 years into law school, or graduated and received my M.S.E.E.

Then again, maybe some amazing opportunity comes my way and I snatch that up.
    Who knows?

What are YOUR plans?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in about 15 minutes ill probably shave then afterwards head to work

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im making pizza tonight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dropped out of my 6th form, I'm not sure of the USA equivalent - college I think, because I just picked all the wrong courses and had no desire to continue.
    I did Ok in my GCSE's, very well in music.

I worked for Apple last year but left after the Christmas season.
    I've been teaching myself music production, in every form. Studio use, acoustic treatment, and all sorts.

This year I'm applying everywhere I can find to get apprenticeship work in a recording studio.
    Next year I'll be moving in with my GF while she goes to university.
    Hopefully over the next few years I'll progress with this and eventually work as a professional studio technician.

This is my life ambition, so I don't have a lot of other plans.

I've set myself up very badly I know, I have no qualifications in this field, and I can't afford to go on a course. I live and breathe music production, hopefully this will be enough to get me where I need to be, and start learning while working.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very cool dude, sounds like you have quite the plan! Determination is what matters most, and it seems like you have it.

Good luck to you!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm getting a job on the strip so I can get my dick wet every night.

And living with better friends next year.

And smoking a lot more weed.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Death is the only thing I can see myself sticking to.

Yet to decide how I'm going to kill him though. Or who he is. It could be you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Fry
    Oh don't look at me like that, you fucking pig eyed sack of shit

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oats View Post
    I'm getting a job on the strip so I can get my dick wet every night.

And living with better friends next year.

And smoking a lot more weed.
    You should think about making pizza.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Graduate college. If I decide to be pre-med then it'll be med school after that. If I don't (the more likely choice since I'd rather do research in the medical field than practice medicine) I'll either get a job in the clinical research field, or go on to school for something in genetics or embryology

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm planning on investing in a lot of firearms. It's looking more and more like the progressives are going to take control of the government and gun bans are sure to follow. I made a ton of cash when Clinton banned guns and help put lots of them on the street. Since my portfolio has dropped 30% in the last few weeks, thanks to the greed whores on wall street and the inept congress, I need some retirement cash.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I made my pizza and now Im thinking about going to Sonic for a ice cream cone.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm going to be a pro-wrestler/US Secretary of Treasury

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why Mr. E That is pure idiocracy.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get a PhD.

/snicker

Most likely I'll be kicked out in a year, live at home with mom and dad and get a half-assed job somewhere for a time before moving out with a more substantial job that I'll probably loath.

On the off chance I do actually get a PhD, I'll go get a post-doc somewhere, probably here in the DC area but possibly in southern Italy, and maybe eventually get a permanent research position at some government lab.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oats View Post
    Why Mr. E That is pure idiocracy.
    I'm gonna boost the economy....OF ASS KICKING!

EDIT: But first I'm going to finish watching the debate and get some ice cream.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 10-07-2008 at 09:17 PM.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, thinking back to reality here, I plan to finish up college (much easier said than done), and hopefully either grab a position as a tech or help desk support in a medium sized computer company. Abandoning that possibility, I really would like to open up my own repair shop, one in which I can build and fix computers to the customers liking. Hell, if it wasn't for the damn programming courses they make you take in this goddamned school, I would have been out of here by now. Instead, I'm 25, unemployed, been eight years in and out of various schools, and still at a loss of what to do. Oh, and I'm still addicted to video games.

[/rant]

On the other hand, I could just walk right out of school now and say fuckitol, and try grabbing a minimum wage shithole job at Best Buy or something. With the way this word is going, I'd say I have a hell of a better chance accomplishing that than the rant above.

It's times like these when I wish I had drug related avenues to peruse.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I worked for Apple last year but left after the Christmas season.
    Hey hey I work at Apple retail, been there for somewhere around a year and four months, pretty good job if you ask me.

I'm currently in my Junior year for Computer Science, after school I hope to find a job that'll help me pay for grad school so I can get a a masters in Software Engineering. Anything beyond that will include living my life, getting married, etc etc etc

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to get set up with a job, advance quickly, move to Manhattan for a year and spend every dime a make, find a cute girl and settle down.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hey linkinkampf, how dare you trivialize my dreams. I really do intend to be a professional wrestler and then move on to economic politics. Finish off my degree in accounting with minors in business and music industry, finish off my professional wrestling training, wrestle until I can't anymore or I fail to make it big, then start running for city office in treasury, then move up to state, then move up to federal.

So fuck you, and your apple store.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Hey linkinkampf, how dare you trivialize my dreams. I really do intend to be a professional wrestler and then move on to economic politics. Finish off my degree in accounting with minors in business and music industry, finish off my professional wrestling training, wrestle until I can't anymore or I fail to make it big, then start running for city office in treasury, then move up to state, then move up to federal.

So fuck you, and your apple store.
    I think you have mistaken me for Jared. Sorry if I managed to offend you in anyway, but yeah, whatever. So, is it gonna be WCW, ECW, or UFC? Two of those aren't real ya know. :P

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fucking survive. I started work on a new book, "The Eight Days File" last night that details a misanthropic young man who tends to be the go-to guy when people have problems who winds up in over his head when he finds out one of his long term friends may be abusing someone else. It unfolds over 8 days, as the title would have you believe. Finish it, shop it around. Edit my other books. A local high school is thinking about doing two of my shows, but who fucking knows, man. At this point, my future is nothing. And everything. But mostly the nothing part.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am going to focus heavily on my career and advancing as much as I can with my company. Saving money and buying a house, so within 5 years I should have my own house and have advanced myself well in my career. It would be nice to find a woman to share this with as well, but being a nerdy geek the odds are not so high.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickStivers View Post
    I hope I haven't missed my chance to join MrTroy 4 Life
    I blame Obama. That nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    when mrtroy makes a valid point about your posting, you should probably kill yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    This site was always meant to end with a gay gangbang. It's destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I fucking hate niggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTroy View Post
    Gwahir and I have this little ongoing tiff. He seems to have that with a number of people who think he is a pretentious faggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do people want to be homeowners

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some people don't want to be renters for the rest of their life and settle down into something they can call their own?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I've never quite gotten that one either. If it's for an investment, there are better and more stable ways to invest than in a home, that take a lot less maint. to keep worth something. If it's to have "nice stuff" there's other nice stuff to have that will probably bring you more pleasure than a house. I say rent the best you can afford, let someone else pay the property taxes and do the upkeep and take the depreciation up the shorts. And that way if your refrigerator dies, look who doesn't pay for it! Plus renter's insurance is a HELL of a lot cheeper than homeowner's insurance.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Yeah I've never quite gotten that one either. If it's for an investment, there are better and more stable ways to invest than in a home, that take a lot less maint. to keep worth something. If it's to have "nice stuff" there's other nice stuff to have that will probably bring you more pleasure than a house. I say rent the best you can afford, let someone else pay the property taxes and do the upkeep and take the depreciation up the shorts. And that way if your refrigerator dies, look who doesn't pay for it! Plus renter's insurance is a HELL of a lot cheeper than homeowner's insurance.
    Why pay rent for 60 fucking years when you can get a house paid off in 15 years with proper money handling. Plus, there is more privacy with your own home, no one else has legal access to your residence. You get a lot more residence for your buck with a mortgage than renting. In my area, average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is anywhere from 480 to 600. You can EASILY get a mortgage for a whole home, with 2 or 3 bed 2 bath, with a yard for around that price or slightly more.

And FYI, you pay alot more in property tax's than a home owner, the landlords pass all that on to the tenants so you pay more than a home owner. Replacing and repairing costs of a home is trivial in the long run, unless the home you buy is in really old & bad shape when you buy it. So.... 40 years less of paying monthly to live or paying a grand for a fridge... hmmm.
    when mrtroy makes a valid point about your posting, you should probably kill yourself
    Gwahir and I have this little ongoing tiff. He seems to have that with a number of people who think he is a pretentious faggot.
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I completely fucked around with education the first few times and fayled at life.

I'm now doing a 1yr access course (in English Language, Literature and Creative Writing) to get me straight into uni next year. Luckily my best friend is virtually doing the same thing so we'll probably get a place together at whichever uni we decide to go to (providing we choose the same one which is likely).

I'm going to do a degree in either English Language or a combination of English Language and Creative Writing or American Studies.

As for career paths I'd like to either get into journalism (I have family who've worked in this field) or possibly even Higher Education teaching (A levels, adult courses, uni-lecturing or whatever).

It's weird, this year, for the first time in a long time I feel like I'm on a steady path.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why pay rent for 60 fucking years when you can get a house paid off in 15 years with proper money handling. Plus, there is more privacy with your own home, no one else has legal access to your residence. You get a lot more residence for your buck with a mortgage than renting. In my area, average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is anywhere from 480 to 600. You can EASILY get a mortgage for a whole home, with 2 or 3 bed 2 bath, with a yard for around that price or slightly more.

And FYI, you pay alot more in property tax's than a home owner, the landlords pass all that on to the tenants so you pay more than a home owner. Replacing and repairing costs of a home is trivial in the long run, unless the home you buy is in really old & bad shape when you buy it. So.... 40 years less of paying monthly to live or paying a grand for a fridge... hmmm.
    You have a valid point. I just think mine is equally valid. It just depends on your priorities, your goals in life, your family and job situation, and all sorts of things. There wouldn't be so many rental properties if everyone wanted to be homeowners.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    I'm going to get set up with a job, advance quickly, move to Manhattan for a year and spend every dime a make, find a cute girl and settle down.
    ...and eventually become a miserable over-worked middle aged man, divorce, and hire prostitutes/patronize strip clubs and peep shows.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a mini plan sorted out.

I graduate college in two years and then I will move in with my boyfriend. It will take another year or so to get my masters and when I am done with that, we get married. After we get married we might wait a year and then we will start with kids. Then who knows after that.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think counting that much into the future -- especially when you're depending on someone else to that degree -- is highly foolish.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    I think counting that much into the future -- especially when you're depending on someone else to that degree -- is highly foolish.
    I hope you never have a job interview then. Most positions, even shitty ass retail jobs, ask you where you plan to be in 5 years, some jobs even ask 10 if you are going to be a manager or executive.
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post

I graduate college in two years and then I will move in with my boyfriend. It will take another year or so to get my masters and when I am done with that, we get married. After we get married we might wait a year and then we will start with kids. Then who knows after that.
    Who gets a master's in a year? At least a master's worth anything that is. Not trying to flame just saying - unless you're already taking graduate level classes, how on earth do you propose to have your grad courses, your research, your thesis AND your defense/dissertation prepared in a year?

I hope you never have a job interview then. Most positions, even shitty ass retail jobs, ask you where you plan to be in 5 years, some jobs even ask 10 if you are going to be a manager or executive.
    Not even the same comparison. Nadia's life falls apart if her boyfriend and her break up. She is not relying on herself to make it. That's not the kind of thing a job interview is about. They want to know if you have ambition and enough of your shit together to get to where you wanna be.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post

Are you going to start your own Wop Queen poodle grooming service, or get a chair (table?) at someone else's salon?

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My plans are to loose the house due to lack of funds due to unemployment. I'm taking my apple and peach tree with me, dammit, even if I have to dig them up by hand.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess this makes sense if you plan to have a family and everything.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just dropped out of college to start my own business. I plan to do some graphic design freelancing and photo retouching. Last year my friend Jeff opened a tech consultant and computer repair business. Several of his clients have asked him to create technical manuals and design websites. Since Jeff isn't artistically inclined he has handed me the graphic design portion of the jobs. This means that I already have several potential clients lined up. I want to eventually be making enough money that I'll be able to stop working for a while to attend to a prestigious art school

My ultimate goal, however, is to do photo retouching for a magazine such as Vogue or Seventeen.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KT_ View Post
    I just dropped out of college to start my own business. I plan to do some graphic design freelancing and photo retouching. Last year my friend Jeff opened a tech consultant and computer repair business. Several of his clients have asked him to create technical manuals and design websites. Since Jeff isn't artistically inclined he has handed me the graphic design portion of the jobs. This means that I already have several potential clients lined up. I want to eventually be making enough money that I'll be able to stop working for a while to attend to a prestigious art school

My ultimate goal is however is to do photo retouching for a magazine such as Vogue or Seventeen.
    cool

why havnt u been in irc

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why hasnt anyone