Thread: Harry Potter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Harry Potter

I just got back from seeing it. I don't read the books and hadn't seen any of the movies since the second one. It wasn't bad. But,

Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    it's been 8 months since i posted in this thread and ayn rand is still dead

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hahahah

i thought it was an attacking army of gollums actually

the holocaust thing never occurred to me

(but basically it was a method of voldemort's to protect the horcrux, and it's significantly more important in the seventh book but they really gave it no explanation in this)

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    i thought it was an attacking army of gollums actually
    I leaned over and did my best "my precious" gollum impersonation in my wife's ear.

she giggled.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not going to see it. It only came out today and already half the faggots on my facebook have dedicated their statuses to them having seen it or them going to see it later in the evening.

I've read the books, they were mildly entertaining page-turners. I couldn't give a shit about what they do with it now.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought it was well paced, excellent, and quite funny.

Plus, any movie that has the 'serious fans' of the novels so butt-hurt over at IMDb that they're crying over it is a good movie to me.

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Overall, I think it's the best of the harry potter movies so far.

That opinion may fade over time as the freshness wears off, though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll probably download the first decent TS I see, but no way I'm paying money to go see this.

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

god damnit people harry potter is for fucking 12 year olds
    I got my allowance but I spent it all on ice cream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by faesce View Post
    oh cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    it's been 8 months since i posted in this thread and ayn rand is still dead

we did it

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no
    I got my allowance but I spent it all on ice cream

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by faesce View Post
    I was completely shocked at how many 16-20 year old guys there were in the theater during the premiere

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I saw it, high as hell, and it sucked.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had nothing really better to do this afternoon so I went and caught the matinee. Not bad. I haven't read the book in sometime so I'm not sure how true it was to the book and how much was left out but I felt it was worth my 6 dollars.

My viewing experience would have been a whole of a hell lot better if the fat woman with her whining bitch of a baby would have just left the theater instead of her pulling him aside and yelling at him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just couldn't believe how boring it was. Absolutely nothing of interest happened, and it was like they just went through the book beforehand, picked out a handful of pages, turned them into scenes, then tossed everything else out. I understand they can't do the whole thing, but at least they could've made the parts they did do somewhat interesting.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh for the love of fuck, you're whining because they didn't include everything from the book? The 700 page novel?

People that read the books know the characters. People that watch the movies need more direct scenes of character motivation. Hence 'boring scenes' that don't really do a whole lot.

The cinematography was out-fucking-standing, the score was inspired, the script was awesome, the acting was great, the story was taught. It was a good film, not just a good Harry Potter movie. The only downside is that you have to be vaguely familiar with either the books or the previous films to have any kind of a grasp on what is going on.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And yet, despite all that shit, I was thoroughly bored throughout the entire fucking movie. I just didn't like it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    The cinematography was out-fucking-standing, the score was inspired, the script was awesome, the acting was great, the story was taught. It was a good film, not just a good Harry Potter movie. The only downside is that you have to be vaguely familiar with either the books or the previous films to have any kind of a grasp on what is going on.
    Firstly, taut.

Secondly, I don't agree with any of this. There was some excellent scoring and some terrible scoring (what comes to mind is the scene with Harry and Ginny in the room of requirement). The script was troubling -- highly so. The story was unfocused, most of the characters annoying, and the acting was great in places and worthless in others. The cinematography was cheap -- beautiful, but empty. Visually stunning, but soulless.

It wasn't terrible, but I think soulless is the most apt thing I can say about it. It also got downright silly, sometimes -- and I'm not talking about things that were meant to be, I'm talking about things that I should've cared about that instead I thought were stupid, badly constructed or distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    Oh for the love of fuck, you're whining because they didn't include everything from the book? The 700 page novel?
    No, that wasn't his criticism. His criticism was that the material chosen was seemingly arbitrary (I don't agree, but it wasn't the best material either) and poorly executed:

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides
    at least they could've made the parts they did do somewhat interesting.
    So why don't you just stop being more than a little bit of an asshole and respond to what people are actually saying in some kind of constructive way. What are you trying to achieve with "oh for the love of fuck" and by telling people they are whining?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and I just watched Order of the Phoenix again on HBO, and all I have to say is that now I'm even more sure of how big a disappointment Half-Blood prince was. Because I really fucking enjoyed OotP, and HBP was absolutely terrible in comparison. The battle scenes were interesting, the plot flowed smoothly, and the actors did a much better job. Not to mention they look to be almost the right age in Order of the Phoenix, whereas Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) looks like he's about 20 in the Half-Blood Prince versus the 16-17 year old he's supposed to be. There was really just none of the excitement I had come to expect from this movie franchise in the HPB.