Thread: Dream Theater

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dream Theater

I feel every forum that discusses music should have the obligatory DT thread.

I only really started listening to them about 2 months ago even though I've had the Awake album on my computer for 2 years.
    Since then I've just been blown away by them.
    As a guitarist turned keyboardist, with a little drumming experience I'm appealed to on many levels, not to say that Labrie or Myung are any less talented, the vox in Innocence Faded are insane.

Whats everyone else's opinion on them?
    Obviously a lot of people tend to suck their dicks from my experience, and I'm sure that'll result in people giving half assed remarks on how they suck because people like them, but whatever, discuss!

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They don't suck because people like them, they suck because they are one of the most boring, overblown, overrated, show-offy, pretentious hack-filled bands in the world.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have Images and Words and Awake. IAW is amazing, Awake, not so much. Although I do quite like Space-Dye Vest.
    Last edited by mtgmaster; 10-19-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: apostrophes

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i don't get how they can sound pretentious, the songs don't have technical solos just for the sake of having technical solos, and you can enjoy the hooks without noticing them at all

scenes from a memory is epic
    the title track of octavarium is epic and hearing the end of it live was epic

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The solos are technical for the sake of technical. In fact, pretty much everything in their songs is.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They're horrible because even after all this time, they still don't have the smallest amount of chemistry between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    The solos are technical for the sake of technical. In fact, pretty much everything in their songs is.
    I disagree, Rudess for instance was trained at Julliard school of music, his technical ability is far beyond many musicians. As such, these guys are comfortable with playing songs through key, tempo and time signature changes.
    They can still play with feeling and emotion through this.
    I don't feel that they play the way they do for the sake of being technical, but because that's the level they're capable of with ease.

If you were trained to a point where counting in 17/8 just flows out of your ass, you're not going to play in 4/4 for 3 minute songs, cause it'd just be boring.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They just ignore ALL principles of moderation, less is more etc.

Just because you are comfortable with playing fast/technically etc. doesn't mean it's best for the music. That is why it is pretentious/show-offy.

And I have never heard any emotion or feeling in their songs ever.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Listen to Innocence Faded and Scarred. If you can't perceive any emotion from them, espectially Innocence Faded, then we clearly have different concepts of emotion!

I agree on some aspects that less is more, but I don't listen to them for that. I listen to be entertained by the talent and techniques they use, and that some people can use too much of something *cough*Steve Vai*cough* But in my opinion DT can still make very listenable music even with their very.. intense styling.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Liquid Tension Experiment is better imo.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by effingawwesome View Post
    Liquid Tension Experiment is better imo.
    truth.

And in terms of DT, I listened to them for about two years until I realized they're the most over-rated band that's ever walked the planet, and somehow manage to have a huge following that would eagerly polish their nuts given the opportunity.

Endless Sacrifice is the only song I can still listen to once in a very, very long while for nostalgia's sake -- drumming, riffing, and vox in it are still top-notch compared the the rest of their work.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    i don't get how they can sound pretentious, the songs don't have technical solos just for the sake of having technical solos, and you can enjoy the hooks without noticing them at all

scenes from a memory is epic
    the title track of octavarium is epic and hearing the end of it live was epic
    this