Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason NFL Discussion Thread

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Preseason NFL Discussion Thread

In this thread we discuss our predictions for the 2009 NFL season. While many morons think the Steelers are going to be "great" just because they won it all last year on a series of terrible calls, I disagree. A lot of teams have made some really good changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    it's been 8 months since i posted in this thread and ayn rand is still dead

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fuck i misspelled the title

we did it

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Bears go to the NFC Championship and lose to the Eagles.

NFC South is again the best division in football (Tampa Bay wtf r u doin?) Wouldn't surprise me to see Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans in the playoffs, though NOLA is a stretch.

I would say it's liable to be Carolina/Atlanta and NYG as wildcards with Seahawks, Eagles, and Bears as division champs.

I dunno what's up with the AFC but I guess I'll say Chargers, Ravens, Pats, and Jaguars as division champs with Jets and Steelers as wildcards

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

amendment to the title passed

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    The Bears go to the NFC Championship and lose to the Eagles.

NFC South is again the best division in football (Tampa Bay wtf r u doin?) Wouldn't surprise me to see Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans in the playoffs, though NOLA is a stretch.

I would say it's liable to be Carolina/Atlanta and NYG as wildcards with Seahawks, Eagles, and Bears as division champs.

I dunno what's up with the AFC but I guess I'll say Chargers, Ravens, Pats, and Jaguars as division champs with Jets and Steelers as wildcards
    I can see the Bears doing really well with Cutler. I don't know if the Eagles can make it that far without choking, but we'll see. Either the NFC South or the NFC East are going to be the dominant divisions this year. But I don't think Seattle will bounce back for a while, and since it's such an easy division I see Arizona going far again. The Redskins look great on paper, but they're probably not going to do well.

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Patriots are going to get 10-12 wins, Brady will do good but not OH SHIT HES AWESOME!
    Colts will get 12 wins and into the playoffs, but will messup somehow.

My team the Niners will only get 5-7 wins, I just see them not doing so hot with bad QBs.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cowboys win the Superbowl...just like I predict every year.

But really, they play better without the distractions of players like Pacman and T.O.

Not much better though...maybe 11-5 instead of 9-7. Eagles will go 13-3 though...

So, Cowboys get a wild card, but lose to the Eagles at some point in the playoffs.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The eagles are going to be disgusting this year.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

49ers should start fucking Nate Davis. He's the best quarterback they have already.
    Texans are seeing their first playoff birth this year.
    Everyone is going to think the Cowboys will do good, but they will do poor and miss the playoffs again.
    NFC South will be the strongest division again.
    AFC East will be the most tightly contested division again.
    Team that was good last year that is most likely to suck this year: Baltimore Ravens
    Team that sucked last year that is most likely to be decent or good this year: Kansas City Chiefs
    Superbowl Champions: Tennessee Titans

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Favre has boarded a plane for St. Paul, MN. WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported that Favre is expected to sign today.

I think that Favre's motivation is a love for the game...not revenge.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I think that Brett Favre's motivation is revenge, to win another superbowl, and to be the only quarterback to ever beat all 32 teams.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Favre has boarded a plane for St. Paul, MN. WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported that Favre is expected to sign today.

I think that Favre's motivation is a love for the game...not revenge.
    I agree with that. He doesn't hate the Packers at all. He's playing for the Vikings because he really does want to play.

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have groundbreaking news for you:

News

That is all.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lions will be better than the rams.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Redskins will continue to be the most consistently mediocre team--possibly continuing its streak of weaving in and out of the playoffs only to lose to the fucking Seahawks.

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Seahawks will surprise people this year

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cowboys win the Superbowl...just like I predict every year.

But really, they play better without the distractions of players like Pacman and T.O.

Not much better though...maybe 11-5 instead of 9-7. Eagles will go 13-3 though...

So, Cowboys get a wild card, but lose to the Eagles at some point in the playoffs.
    I concur. However it completely pisses me off. I hate that T.O. Had to go but he did. If you can't keep moral up in the locker room you damn sure can't keep it on the field.

Also the Eagle's are a great team Vick is allready bringing them some bad publicity.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lions will be better than the rams.
    Frisco will be worse than both.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    I concur. However it completely pisses me off. I hate that T.O. Had to go but he did. If you can't keep moral up in the locker room you damn sure can't keep it on the field.
    The far more logical theory behind TO's drop off isn't that he is a locker room distraction (teams don't magically get better without him.) His issue is that when he first comes to the system, he ramps up offensive production because he is such a dynamic player and every team has implemented him differently. In year one, you run short on game film.

Year 2-3, you've got a base of work so his production levels off and/or drops off as defensive coordinators have more film to breakdown, and eventually the problems that the team had before he got there (typically bad defense or inconsistent line play) are no longer masked by his dynamic impact on offense.

Look at the Cowboys: they are fucking terrible. TERRIBLE. They didn't make any changes on defense and they got worse (hint: they were NEVER good.) Their offensive line made no improvements. Their run game suffered from injury and continued bad blocking. Sorry, the Cowboys had a shot at the playoffs because of TO in his maiden season. They didn't have a shot after that because they couldn't figure out how to surround him with talent. Dallas has always been an 7-9 or 8-8 team and any wins above that can be attributed directly to TO's presence. Pacman showed he no longer had the tools to be good; fuck the "locker room" bullshit.

The Eagles dropped off when they released TO until they started addressing the concerns that his offense had been able to mask.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The far more logical theory behind TO's drop off isn't that he is a locker room distraction (teams don't magically get better without him.) His issue is that when he first comes to the system, he ramps up offensive production because he is such a dynamic player and every team has implemented him differently. In year one, you run short on game film.

Year 2-3, you've got a base of work so his production levels off and/or drops off as defensive coordinators have more film to breakdown, and eventually the problems that the team had before he got there (typically bad defense or inconsistent line play) are no longer masked by his dynamic impact on offense.

Look at the Cowboys: they are fucking terrible. TERRIBLE. They didn't make any changes on defense and they got worse (hint: they were NEVER good.) Their offensive line made no improvements. Their run game suffered from injury and continued bad blocking. Sorry, the Cowboys had a shot at the playoffs because of TO in his maiden season. They didn't have a shot after that because they couldn't figure out how to surround him with talent. Dallas has always been an 7-9 or 8-8 team and any wins above that can be attributed directly to TO's presence. Pacman showed he no longer had the tools to be good; fuck the "locker room" bullshit.

The Eagles dropped off when they released TO until they started addressing the concerns that his offense had been able to mask.
    Just wait. Just wait.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just wait for what? You've been "just waiting" for the past few years and you've continued to suck. The Cowboys are the Notre Dame of pro football, except that Notre Dame has a shot of having a .500 season.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just wait. Just wait.
    Cowboys fans say that every single year. "Just wait, Tony Romo won't drop the game-winning field goal snap in a playoff game and completely choke again." "Just wait, the Cowboys won't start the season decent and get hyped up for the Super Bowl only to crash and burn."

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Calling it now. The Vikings end Favre's starting streak, and he's benched during both Packers games.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
    Calling it now. The Vikings end Favre's starting streak, and he's benched during both Packers games.
    yeah. right.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brett Favre is the fucking man. Fuck all you haters ok

we did it

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just wait for what? You've been "just waiting" for the past few years and you've continued to suck. The Cowboys are the Notre Dame of pro football, except that Notre Dame has a shot of having a .500 season.
    Who's your team bub?

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's a durty bird lover

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol falcons.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I had to pick 4 teams, it would be the Falcons, the Bears, the Broncos, and the Pats because of some family tie or another to each of them. But I don't pick teams because people who are fans of pro sports teams and mercenary athletes are fucking idiots.

And I could be a fucking die-hard Lions fan and that wouldn't change the fact that the Cowboys are a shit team with overarching media hype out the ass. Sure, they make the playoffs every once in a while and they put together a great run in the Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin days, but they are always hyped as a superbowl contender and they just fucking aren't.

You are Notre Dame: self-proclaimed "America's team" when you're in fact hated by most true fans of the sport, hyped to no end and shoved down our throats by the media, given to the maximum level of forgiveness of poor performance and provided the associated rankings boost, and, finally, always prone to failure and disappointment now but wait till next year.

Cowboys' defense didn't get better. They can't control the line of scrimmage, and Williams certainly isn't the answer at safety (catch a pass what is a catch a pass?). The running game is solid but they still have a mediocre offensive line. The passing game is going to seriously suffer (hello, Jason Witten, all me to introduce myself. I am man coverage.) They have a nutjob owner, a head coach on his way out the door, and a QB who brings more fucking distractions between his idiot girlfriends and his manboy love for his tight end than their pro bowl receiver ever did.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And also, you can laugh at the falcons, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of things that come together to win a football game, but the only things you need to be competitive are offensive and defensive lines. The Falcons are outstanding in both departments, while the Cowboys are anemic.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wait i'm pretty sure the falcons are better than the cowboys right now

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We can turn this into the big "FUCK YOU" but hey- this may be the only 2nd game in the pre-season but guess what?

ESPN NFL - Final - DAL 30 TEN 10 - Tony Romo (DAL) 18 of 24, 192 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT Keon Lattimore (DAL) 9 for 33 yds

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    We can turn this into the big "FUCK YOU" but hey- this may be the only 2nd game in the pre-season but guess what?

ESPN NFL - Final - DAL 30 TEN 10 - Tony Romo (DAL) 18 of 24, 192 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT Keon Lattimore (DAL) 9 for 33 yds
    yeah preseason means a lot

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

coming from a cowboys fan;

this win means as much as the loss to OAK last week meant.

preseason is bullshit Beef.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

After last night AJ Trapasso is officially my favorite player. Best fake punt ever, then punting the ball into that big obnoxious screen.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tell you what, Beef, you can win every game in the preseason by a margin of 50 points. Have at it.

See you in December and January. When it matters.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually like it when my team (49ers) loses preseason games, it's what is supposed to happen if you are an elite team.

Mind me but I just heard about Crabtree being a bitch on Jime Rome is Burning.

I believe the quote was

"It ain't that I don't like playing on a team that had a bad record, I just ain't down for my talent being wasted on a team that isn't going anywhere."

Diva ass bitch. I'd rather have that Oakland guy with three names than you're whiny ass. Singletary better send your ass to the showers.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Top defenses will be (in no particular order):

Pittsburgh (they've got the same squad as last year and they're really good. The only thing wrong with Pittsburg is its offensive line sucks)
    Baltimore (always their strength. If their defense is bad this year they won't win more than four games)
    Washington (really good defensive line especially with Haynesworth. Decent secondary. But if their defense sucks they will be just like Baltimore)
    Philadelphia (could change because they lost Dawkins)

I don't have a fifth. I think the Chargers will do well and so will the Giants.

we did it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Giants because of the ridiculous amount of pressure their defensive line gets... Osi is a beast