Bear with me on this, as I can't recall all details of a book I read quite a few years ago. I've tried googling for answers with no avail, but perhaps one of you guys has read a book similar to the one I'm about to describe.

There are two main characters, and the story revolves around their struggle to create a sort of campground in Canada, far from civilization. One is the son of a rich man, the other is a Native, and they're best friends. At one point, they experience cabin fever after being snowed in for weeks in the winter. They acquire a pet lynx, as well, or perhaps it was a bobcat. Eventually, they manage to make a campground, but when people start to visit it, taking the safe, level path they've created through the mountains, they realize that they've ruined the wilderness. The main villain of the book is an American who brings a pistol, shotgun, and fifty cal over the border and sets a fire in order to shoot at fleeing animals. I believe he ends up shooting the main characters' pet lynx in the end, and the book ends after the two main characters use dynamite to seal the former campground off again.

The book is mostly centered around survival, hunting, and that sort of thing.

Any ideas on what I could be talking about?