Thread: FlashForward, new serialized drama/mystery

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FlashForward, new serialized drama/mystery

Many hail this as the new LOST. In fact, the producers even remark the similarities. The creator forsees this being a 5 season show.

Anyway, did anyone catch this? It seems like it was trying to be too big for its own good. It threw too many mysteries at us to keep us engaged, but it didn't need to.

I dunno, I'll keep watching.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's going to be a lot of Destiny v. Free Will play. (It's already leaning towards destiny in the first episode).

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just watched it, seemed pretty good. Main character has one facial expression. What the fuck is up with Penny's accent!? (no I don't know the actress' name).

But yeah, intriguing. Will watch next episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    I acutally more or less agree with you on this. I'm much more of an athlete then an intellectual.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sonya Walger was also in Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles. I can't look at her the same since LOST.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Her accent is fucking awful. I'm of course assuming that she is English. If so, the american accent is just so shit. It's like 20% of the words are american accent and the hard to pronounce ones she just gave up and went back to english.

It's appalling.

edit: if she's actually american and was doing an english accent in lost then her english accent is good but her normal accent is clearly some sort of elaborate inside joke
    I acutally more or less agree with you on this. I'm much more of an athlete then an intellectual.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to the Wiki she is actually British.

And, yeah, I'm pretty sure I heard her transition between the two accents.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enjoyed the pilot. I don't know how they'll drag it out for five seasons but who knows. I await episode two.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalGrumpySpy View Post
    Many hail this as the new LOST. In fact, the producers even remark the similarities. The creator forsees this being a 5 season show.

Anyway, did anyone catch this? It seems like it was trying to be too big for its own good. It threw too many mysteries at us to keep us engaged, but it didn't need to.

I dunno, I'll keep watching.
    Really? You're the world's biggest LOST fan and your critiquing Flash Forward for throwing too many mysteries at us?

I felt it handled that very well. There's enough in there to keep us going, not too much. The bigger, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I'm bored of shows that take a huge worldwide event and make it all about one guy or one family.

(It's already leaning towards destiny in the first episode).
    Not necessarily. I imagine it'll be a lot of "now that you know the future, you can change it"... but keep in mind that that's not exactly free will. I think the visions they got were of what the future would be like if they didn't get the visions.

EDIT: Except Mark's is hard to fit to that. Hmm.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    Really? You're the world's biggest LOST fan and your critiquing Flash Forward for throwing too many mysteries at us?

I felt it handled that very well. There's enough in there to keep us going, not too much. The bigger, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I'm bored of shows that take a huge worldwide event and make it all about one guy or one family.

Not necessarily. I imagine it'll be a lot of "now that you know the future, you can change it"... but keep in mind that that's not exactly free will. I think the visions they got were of what the future would be like if they didn't get the visions.

EDIT: Except Mark's is hard to fit to that. Hmm.
    It essentially gave you an entire season of mysteries in the first episode. Lost did NOT do that. It handed them out slowly. The only thing that really caught you in the first episode was the monster and "where are we?". Beyond that it was still just a castaway show.

This threw everything at you on a plate, gave you names, objects of interest, etc up front. It seems like an overload.

Don't get me wrong, I'll continue to watch.
    Last edited by TheOriginalGrumpySpy; 10-01-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mysteries of LOST, episode 1:

-Where are we?
    -Why did we crash?
    -Who else is on this Island?
    -What about that radio transmission?
    -Polar bear?!
    -JUNGLE MONSTER?!?!
    -JACK'S DAD ISN'T DEAD?!?!

LOST certainly was not just another castaway show, even from the very first episode.

Mysteries of Flash Forward, episode 1:

-What happened?
    -What caused it to happen?
    -Individual mysteries (ie. individual people's visions that we don't know of yet)
    -Is the future we see in our visions determined?
    -What's that kangaroo doing there?
    -Who's the fellow in black who definitely should be blacked out right about now?

The way I see it, LOST is ahead in number of mysteries. The only difference is, as you said, that in Flash Forward, we were able to get some names and bits and pieces from Mark's vision. That's a good thing. I don't want Flash Forward to be as slow as LOST. We already have a show like that, and it's LOST -- when other shows try it, they bomb terribly (see: "Heroes").

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mysteries of LOST, episode 1:

-Where are we?
    -Why did we crash?
    -Who else is on this Island?
    -What about that radio transmission?
    -Polar bear?!
    -JUNGLE MONSTER?!?!
    -JACK'S DAD ISN'T DEAD?!?!
    Leave it to Gwahir to make me realize I need to do another rewatch.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hah fair call my buddy

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm thinking the flash forwards are kind of the same as Jacob's visions in the first season of Heroes. Some are unavoidable, some aren't exactly what they appear, and some can be avoided with knowledge that they're coming.

Anyway, as of episode two, I'd like to know if the show is ever going to address the temporal paradox of the information in Mark's vision. The notes on the wall in the vision lead to the notes being on the wall in reality, which become the notes in the vision... where did the information come from?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm thinking the flash forwards are kind of the same as Jacob's visions in the first season of Heroes. Some are unavoidable, some aren't exactly what they appear, and some can be avoided with knowledge that they're coming.

Anyway, as of episode two, I'd like to know if the show is ever going to address the temporal paradox of the information in Mark's vision. The notes on the wall in the vision lead to the notes being on the wall in reality, which become the notes in the vision... where did the information come from?
    Welcome to the Causal Loop that was very well entrenched during LOST's time travel.

Also associated with it.. if the woman always had the flash forward about being pregnant in the future, why did she ask what sex her child was.. she should have already known.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Welcome to the Causal Loop that was very well entrenched during LOST's time travel.
    In LOST, I always got the sense that it was a question that was a part of the show. In this, I wonder if it's an oversight. But then, it's not really the point of this show. I suppose it would be okay to sort of leave questions like this by the wayside.

Also associated with it.. if the woman always had the flash forward about being pregnant in the future, why did she ask what sex her child was.. she should have already known.
    Ah, good point.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ive gotten into it, and I can see myself watching them all.

I never watched Lost because I would have gotten into it too late and had too much catching up to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read a Guardian article on it and I think the word 'promising' was thrown out there. I'm yet to actually watch it but I may do soon.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Ive gotten into it, and I can see myself watching them all.

I never watched Lost because I would have gotten into it too late and had too much catching up to do.
    this is the dumbest excuse ever not to watch Lost

catching up is the best part

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    this is the dumbest excuse ever not to watch Lost

catching up is the best part
    Time.One of these days Ill watch them though. I have that to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This show is terribly slow. I am losing faith.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I quite like it.

You know how simco mentioned the multi world theory in conversation to that fbi guys wife?

I think the flash forwards aren't actually seeing the future but seeing another alternate reality where a decision someone has made has been made differently (as he states when explaining the theory to her).

It all makes sense, shes with simco, that guys daughter is still in that foriegn country, the fbi guy kills harold and is also still drinking.
    I thought this when fbi wife said she was gonna go to the same uni as simco, and was going to move into the house next door to where he stayed (he met his wife because she moved in next door instead) but didn't because husband just got a job with fbi and she decided to stay with him.

I'll be so happy if I'm right and I figured it out.
    But I mean, it makes sense, right?
    Last edited by ShitFace; 12-17-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems plausible but I already read the synopsis of the book.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, I have also read the book's synopsis, but it's pretty clear they're departing from it in several huge ways, so I'm not counting on the phenomenon being of a similar cause. Actually I would put money on it being caused very differently, because the makers of the TV show would not want it spoiled by the preexisting book.

But the show is irritatingly slow and averagely written. (And Mark is incredibly annoying, and when he's not annoying he's tolerable by virtue of his incredible blandness.) And yet somehow I am pretty invested in finding out what's going to happen.

The many worlds theory seems like a plausible basis but it's not all there is to it. There seems to be some deterministic confusion (ie. some of the future stuff is only possible because it was seen in the flash forward; in the flash forward Mark saw stuff that he THEN created because of it) so it does not appear to be as simple as "this is the future we would have been living out if not for the flash forward". After all, in the future, they're INVESTIGATING the flash forward, but they're only doing that because there was a flash forward, and in the flash forward they're seen investigating the flash forward. So what I'm banking on (discounting writer ineptitude, which is highly plausible again) is some kind of loose fitting quantum science speak to explain the flashforward, tied into the multi worlds theory.

Possibly something like this.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thing is with lost I'm always dying to watch next week's episode

this thread reminded me that I haven't watched flashforward in like 5 weeks

from this I can draw the conclusion that I probably won't carry on watching it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely not one of my favorite show, but I do keep up with it considering nothing else is on.

Jenkins
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, just started torrenting the episodes of this show.

Doesn't come close to lost, but I'll still watch it.

Now, when that guy jumped off the FBI building, to "change the future", I was so expecting him to pull a John Locke.

I was disappointed.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i was expecting him to land on the woman

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

so it got progressively lamer until the hiatus, and since then it's gone uphill. i still am just fucking bored by mark benford. he's so bland and just not very likeable.

anyway, the cliff hanger ending to "better angels" was pretty extraordinary -- not in that it was a good place to end the episode (it wasn't) but just because it was an excellent plot twist

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Canceled.

Identity