Thread: Bore Snakes

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Bore Snakes

If you dont have one get one. Period.

I picked one up for my ARs because I usually dont run a patch through them because its a PITA, but this thing is super easy. I will be getting one for all of the different rifle calibers I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got one for the 12 gauge but I never thought about one for rifles. I knew they existed but I always just did the patch thing. I'll pick one up to have just in case the ak ever needs cleaning. (just kidding I do clean it after I shoot it)
    "Back in the old, dark days of the internet when men were men, women were men, and children were FBI agents, no one cared what people thought of them"

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When I do get an AK, I will refuse to clean it. Only when it doesnt work will I clean it.
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boresnakes are the shiiiz. I'm so glad I brought mine over with me. It's made my life so much easier. About all I ever use to clean my M4 is that, baby wipes, my picks, and q-tips.

EDIT
    Also, WD-40. Rust and carbon remover.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sithmaster View Post
    Boresnakes are the shiiiz. I'm so glad I brought mine over with me. It's made my life so much easier. About all I ever use to clean my M4 is that, baby wipes, my picks, and q-tips.

EDIT
    Also, WD-40. Rust and carbon remover.
    Just don't rely on that WD-40 to lube your rifle. It is flammable and just downright sucks for the M4. CLP is fine, but I prefer LSA as the CLP will cause carbon to continually seep out. Speaking of which, hopefully the stuff doesn't degrade over time. I have almost two gallons of CLP and a bunch of small bottles of LSA that expired a few years ago.

Are you currently deployed? Waaaay back when I was a lean, mean deployed Infantryman, they had us using powdered graphite for our weapons. In short, it didn't work. The graphite would merely blow away after the first round was fired. We ended up getting some high speed dry lube but eventually everyone went back to the tried and true CLP.

As for bore snakes, never owned one, unless you count he 550 cord contraptions we used to make. I guess I'm just masochistic but the Otis system works great despite having to still deal with patches. Bore snakes are great, though, and the main reason I have yet to invest in one is the fact that I am too cheap to buy one.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I never use WD-40 on my guns. I spend too much money on them to cheap out on the oil. WD-40 evaporates beleive it or not. I treat all my guns with Militec-1 and spray them down with CLP between cleanings.

And fm, you need to get one. I was too cheap to get one, but I didnt always clean the bore b/c it was a PITA. These things are worth the $15.
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    I never use WD-40 on my guns. I spend too much money on them to cheap out on the oil. WD-40 evaporates beleive it or not. I treat all my guns with Militec-1 and spray them down with CLP between cleanings.
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The last time I shot on the range, the armory didn't have any CLP so I had to clean my rifle with what was available to me in japan. Carb cleaner and WD-40. I must say, the carb cleaner worked absolute wonders on getting rid of stubborn carbon deposits.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hobitopia View Post
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The last time I shot on the range, the armory didn't have any CLP so I had to clean my rifle with what was available to me in japan. Carb cleaner and WD-40. I must say, the carb cleaner worked absolute wonders on getting rid of stubborn carbon deposits.
    I've seen other Soldiers use carb cleaner, as an armorer, though, I never cared for it. It does work great and is much cheaper than Gun Scrubber and similar products, but over time can take its toll on the finish. We had a reflexive fire range a few years ago where no one thought to bring CLP. I had a small bottle in my cleaning kit, but left that back at the camp as the armorer was supposed to bring the range kit. Long story short, one guy had some WD-40 and he "hooked" everyone up. I left my M4 dry and went onto the range, where some half-ass E-5 (I was still an E-4) was giving us "instruction". This guy had been in for a year or two longer than myself but was an Old Guard Soldier through and through, not to mention overweight and with no tactical knowledge. Thankfully, my squad leader who had come from the 101st a month or so before me pulled me off the range after my weapon started failing to fire.

I went to the ammo point to help them out when I noticed some of the other Soldiers getting pulled off the range, M4s and M16s smoking. A few hundred rounds of double taps and controlled pairs had put a hurting on the WD-40. Long story short, I stayed at the ammo point talking crap about the brilliance of the people at the range, watching the "reflexive fire" training turn into a competition.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hobitopia View Post
    so I had to clean my rifle with what was available to me in japan.
    You should be able to find the components to make Ed's Red, it's cheap and it works as a cleaner and lube. WD-40 is NOT a firearm lubricant, and has no lubrication qualities at all once it dries. In fact, when exposed to heat it turns into a gummy mess. Once dry it does nothing to protect a firearm. WD-40 is also known to cause problems with stress corrosion cracking of stainless.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    Just don't rely on that WD-40 to lube your rifle. It is flammable and just downright sucks for the M4. CLP is fine, but I prefer LSA as the CLP will cause carbon to continually seep out. Speaking of which, hopefully the stuff doesn't degrade over time. I have almost two gallons of CLP and a bunch of small bottles of LSA that expired a few years ago.

Are you currently deployed? Waaaay back when I was a lean, mean deployed Infantryman, they had us using powdered graphite for our weapons. In short, it didn't work. The graphite would merely blow away after the first round was fired. We ended up getting some high speed dry lube but eventually everyone went back to the tried and true CLP.

As for bore snakes, never owned one, unless you count he 550 cord contraptions we used to make. I guess I'm just masochistic but the Otis system works great despite having to still deal with patches. Bore snakes are great, though, and the main reason I have yet to invest in one is the fact that I am too cheap to buy one.
    Yeah. Over near Tikrit. The WD-40 only gets used to clean it. It's rainy season right now so rust spots are starting to appear. My squad leader has us leaving a thin coat of CLP on our weapons. Seems to be working out for the most part.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just dry patch them mostly.