Thread: Starcraft 2...split?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Starcraft 2...split?

Apparently Blizz is splitting the game into three parts.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918895p1.html

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blizz didn't want to kill their cash cow WoW by making people pay to play SC2 so they decided to rape their wallets by charging you 3 times instead.

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually your getting the same amount of missions, but just race specific, so it isn't that bad. The part I have an issue with is the time in between the release of the games, 1 fucking year? Are you kidding me?

Will players still have access to each race on Battle.Net?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Pardo explained that the multiplayer remains relatively unchanged; each StarCraft II game will have a fully functioning multiplayer suite with all three races playable."

As long as multiplayer comes right out of the box, I dont mind it. I would like to see addons to it as the other games come out.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would hope so, seeing as the multiplayer is probably the biggest pull for starcraft.

But it seems that they are really flushing out lore, so I may have to brush up on it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty cool. I mean it'd be nice if it was all packaged in one, but this way it gets out quicker for the multiplayer which hopefully will still be as balanced as the original, and have the customization options for multiplayer maps as War3 does.

I don't want War3 type heroes in single player but definitely in multiplayer

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Each game will add something new to multiplayer according to this article:

http://kotaku.com/5062018/starcraft-...layer-campaign

And according to this article, the new battle.net will have fee's - IT DOESNT SAY WHAT FOR before people start screaming OMG OMG OMG, so it might not be a subscription but perhaps we will be able to buy some sort of crap.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Bli...ees-12751.html

Here is the official opening for the game, for those who have not seen it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41396.html
    Last edited by Mach 5; 10-13-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The whole charge thing won't really work since they have new ways to play online and new ladder systems out already. Things like hamachi and GoodGameClient will become super popular.

Unless its like a 1 time activation fee, shit is not gonna fly.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, this is all bullshit. If battle.NET becomes a subscription, or the separate pieces include content that isn't available for free, I'm not going to be buying SC II. Why would I pay full price for an incomplete game? Expansions are different; they add content on top of a complete product.
    Still Alive, maybe.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the single player campaigns are good I will probably buy them. =(

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am surprised they haven't released a WoW version of Starcraft yet.But anyways, does it really matter? Half of the gamers are just gonna torrent it anyway.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most starcraft fans are hardcore fans who would not think of pirating their beloved game.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wasn't going to buy this game anyways, but I think this is a great example of why fanboys are idiots.

If you pledge your eternal soul to a company, they are going to rape you.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you pledge yourself to anything, you're going to get stepped on.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they really dropped it splitting it into 3 different games.

They state it like each game is on par with the full original starcraft, but that was 10 years ago?!? With the success of WoW alone you'd think they could just release Starcraft 2 in all its glory and let the players explore the whole game without having to pay 3x the price.

As for a battle.net monthly fee... I don't see that working. Starcraft was a great game to just pick up and play, like any other game out there and should remain that way. If they combined b.net with WoW and just made it one monthly fee for everything then it might work.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MNG View Post

As for a battle.net monthly fee... I don't see that working. Starcraft was a great game to just pick up and play, like any other game out there and should remain that way. If they combined b.net with WoW and just made it one monthly fee for everything then it might work.
    Except for those of us that don't play WOW

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the whole pay service thing came when they were discussing d3 and mentioned things similar to wows character transfers and the like.

so bnet will be free

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have made it into 3 games to make sure it can be as epic as it should.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55321

Im glad, because it seems like they are going to make sure they get it right.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bullshit. Complete bullshit. God damn Blizzard, trying to get as much money as they can out of anything...even though they'd make TONS off of the single game. Ridiculous.

All I have to say is..they better not do something shitty like this with Diablo III.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elenore19 View Post
    Bullshit. Complete bullshit. God damn Blizzard, trying to get as much money as they can out of anything...even though they'd make TONS off of the single game. Ridiculous.

All I have to say is..they better not do something shitty like this with Diablo III.
    Boo fucking hoo, big bad company wants to return profit to its shareholders not give a bunch of pimple-faced nerds and koreans an undervalued product.

How terrible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They also said that you can play every race online in multiplayer games with just one of the three episodes and that each episode would be as big as the original Starcraft.

So that means you're getting three times the single player Starcraft, originally priced at around $50, for less than twice the price, and all the same multiplayer for a little more than half the original price.

Quite yer bellyaching, maggot!

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Boo fucking hoo, big bad company wants to return profit to its shareholders not give a bunch of pimple-faced nerds and koreans an undervalued product.

How terrible.
    Die.

Anyways. At first I was very upset about this. However I looked into it more, watched some more videos at blizz-con and thought the whole idea over. While I would still like to see this as 1 huge game but the current state of SC2 is not all that bad.

My only concerns are with battle net, the cost of the trilogy and how long it will be between each release. If the game is epic, I couldn't care less about buying 3 times. I did it with diablo 2 after losing disks and CD keys, I'll do it with SC2 if it's good.

Edit: Oh there is one thing I really don't like. If I understand it correctly, each game will be its own install. It's a minor issue but one I do not like at all and one that could produce some negative results down the road. I would have much rather seen this as a combined install as you get each game. Almost like an expansion but each game comes with a full install and if you already have one all you need to do is upgrade with the new campaigns. I think it kind of leaves room for the possibility of Blizzard making separate expansion packs for each game which sort of milking the game for money. Even if It's a great game I don't like that possibility.
    Last edited by ChedWick; 10-16-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did anyone have a problem buying starcraft and brood war? brood war was the plan from the start and people didn;t bitch then. only difference now is the campaign for each of the races is as long as one of those games itself.

also i think they will be expansions, because they also plan to add more units to the previous races ala brood war andc to use them you would need the new game.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait... you have to pay to use Battle.net now?

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    you just not reading posts?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    No, B.Net is still free right now. They did mention years ago the servers would all be replaced with newer, faster, etc. when the time comes. Thats when the B.Net changes would occur if at all.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    Die.

Anyways. At first I was very upset about this. However I looked into it more, watched some more videos at blizz-con and thought the whole idea over. While I would still like to see this as 1 huge game but the current state of SC2 is not all that bad.

My only concerns are with battle net, the cost of the trilogy and how long it will be between each release. If the game is epic, I couldn't care less about buying 3 times. I did it with diablo 2 after losing disks and CD keys, I'll do it with SC2 if it's good.

Edit: Oh there is one thing I really don't like. If I understand it correctly, each game will be its own install. It's a minor issue but one I do not like at all and one that could produce some negative results down the road. I would have much rather seen this as a combined install as you get each game. Almost like an expansion but each game comes with a full install and if you already have one all you need to do is upgrade with the new campaigns. I think it kind of leaves room for the possibility of Blizzard making separate expansion packs for each game which sort of milking the game for money. Even if It's a great game I don't like that possibility.
    That makes better sense because the sales of and responses to each installment will help them predict which campaign would do better with advancement and which can be ended at the first installment.

Do people just not understand that gaming is a business?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    That makes better sense because the sales of and responses to each installment will help them predict which campaign would do better with advancement and which can be ended at the first installment.

Do people just not understand that gaming is a business?
    LOYALTY TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! BLIZZARD HAD IT, NOW THEY DECIDED TO MAKE MONEY. THOSE BASTARDS!

Seriously, new age, new business models, people will pay to entertain themselves and take their minds off their financial woes.