Thread: S&W 12-2

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default S&W 12-2

(Smith357, if you can chime in it would be more than welcome)

Yesterday my high speed Christmas/credit payoff loan ($5000 at 1.5% interest) came through and I am in the mood to buy something. I want a Taurus Judge, S&W M&P auto, AR-15 upper, AKM, etc, etc. That said, I really desire a revolver for everyday carry. I was thinking of the Taurus 85 Ultralite but yesterday stumbled on a S&W Model 12-2 square butt snubbie. Price is $285, a little less than a new Taurus, and condition looks good to very good. Truth be told, I was at the gunsmith wasting time during work hours and did not even ask to inspect the Smith as it just looked odd with a rubber grip and 2" barrel. Thinking little about it, I merely checked it out in the display case, looked at the other revolvers (a Model 10 and a few others) then left.

Anyone know much about these? From what I have found so far, they are aluminum frame and an ounce or two heavier than the Taurus. Of course, +P ammo is not recommended and they are great concealment pieces that were favored by detectives and other plainclothesmen way back when revolvers were the norm. I may head back today to check it out in more detail and try to ascertain the year of manufacture but as already stated the gun currently resides in a gunsmith shop so one would think it has been checked for possible safety or functioning issues. Regardless, I'll be sure to ask for a second first-hand opinion.

http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com...12-2-1966.html

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dont know much about the revolvers. But when you want to talk AR-15 uppers, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The model 12 Airweight M&P is a nice mid sized snubbie and at $285 if it passed the timing and was in good shape it it sounds OK. Without being able to see it first hand my guess is it's somewhere between a fair price and a real deal. It really all depends on condition. Only you can make that determination. Here is one that sold on GunBroker for $300 add up the shipping and FFL fees and that's another $50-60.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=146850053

The M12 is not an everyday shooter and can't take the punishment of heavy loads. I recommend 148 grain wadcutters, records have proved that wadcutters work as SD loads, not only are they easy on the gun but the shooter as well and the soft lead bullet deforms nicely without overpenetration.

One thing to think about is the frame on a M12-2 is thinner than a regular K frame. Should you want to put wood K frame grips on your gun they won't fit. They did this back in the day to cut down on weight.
    Last edited by smith357; 12-02-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Dont know much about the revolvers. But when you want to talk AR-15 uppers, let me know.
    Cool, I'm deciding between building my own and buying an assembled upper, and I plan to check between the archived threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    The model 12 Airweight M&P is a nice mid sized snubbie and at $285 if it passed the timing and was in good shape it it sounds OK. Without being able to see it first hand my guess is it's somewhere between a fair price and a real deal. It really all depends on condition. Only you can make that determination. Here is one that sold on GunBroker for $300 add up the shipping and FFL fees and that's another $50-60.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=146850053

The M12 is not an everyday shooter and can't take the punishment of heavy loads. I recommend 148 grain wadcutters, records have proved that wadcutters work as SD loads, not only are they easy on the gun but the shooter as well and the soft lead bullet deforms nicely without overpenetration.

One thing to think about is the frame on a M12-2 is thinner than a regular K frame. Should you want to put wood K frame grips on your gun they won't fit. They did this back in the day to cut down on weight.

Thanks for the advice, I never made it back there yesterday and hope I have time today. If the 12-2 is in as good of condition as it looks it sounds like a pretty good deal, if not I'll spend the extra few dollars for a new Taurus. I have to check around some more anyway and still haven't checked out the local LEO dealers.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fm2176 View Post
    Cool, I'm deciding between building my own and buying an assembled upper, and I plan to check between the archived threads here.
    Now is the best time to buy. When Obama got elected, people started buying up, and suppliers ordered a shit load of stock. Now they are getting all of those orders, and cannot move them. Ive seen complete uppers for $400.
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool, I'll have to check out the online deals. The local LEO supplier sells uppers for $600+ still.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They will have these available in about a week.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Danie...per%20half.htm

That price is amazing. Those uppers are like $900 regularly. Comes with the rear sight, chrome lined bore, 1/7 twist (as opposed to the 1/9 most ARs have).
    Basically, its the best upper you will find for the money. Period. Get them to e-mail them you when they come in stock and order it ASAP. They will sell out fast.
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    They will have these available in about a week.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Danie...per%20half.htm

That price is amazing. Those uppers are like $900 regularly. Comes with the rear sight, chrome lined bore, 1/7 twist (as opposed to the 1/9 most ARs have).
    Basically, its the best upper you will find for the money. Period. Get them to e-mail them you when they come in stock and order it ASAP. They will sell out fast.
    Yep this is the absolute best deal you will find for a while.

Hell, if you decide to go with a complete AR, DD is still a good choice. With the purchase of any complete DD AR you get a $250 gift card to their online store.

On a similar note, my current build is 90% done. My 13.2" LaRue rail will be here on Tuesday, and assembled that day. After that, all I need is a set of irons (a set of Troy's are $190 at AIM right now!) and its shootable.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Speaking of ARs, I ordered my Black Rain upper for the matching lower, and Im getting a set of Troy TRX 11 rails. For the brake Im getting a PWS CQB. With the 11 inch rails, and the 10.5 inch barrel, the PWS CQB will come out of the rails. Its gonna look sweet. Once I get all that, all I need is an EOTech 512, Troy front sight, and my SBR stamp.
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

I had a dream