Thread: [Books] Recommendations

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default [Books] Recommendations

I'm currently reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman which is non-fiction and I'm thinking about going on a non-fiction stint for a while. The last couple non-fiction books I've read were Physics of the Impossible and Naked in Dangerous Place and I really really loved both of those.

Anyone have any recommendations for Non-fiction? I typically science, business, or travel type literature when it comes to non-fiction.

Recommend away!

If you would also like recommendations for genres or books, don't hesitate to ask!

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick is something of a classic about chaos theory if you hadn't read it yet. 6 Not So Easy Pieces and QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter both by Feynman are classics as well. The former is a simple explanation of mostly topics of early modern physics such as quantum theory and general relativity plus other other topics such as variational principles or principles of "least action" in classical phyiscs, and the latter is a simple explanation of Feynman's formulation of quantum electrodynamics, for which he won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Life as a Quant seemed interesting when I read some of it
    Derman is a physicist who went into quantitative finance
    Last edited by mutton; 12-25-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Flying Circus of Physics: With Answers by Jearl Walker

It's a book full of everyday physics problems and thought exercises. It's really fun and thought-provoking. Best part, answers are in the back.

I have the first edition from 1975 but I just learned that in 2006, a second edition was published, so I don't think it would be too hard to find.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A textbook is not exactly the non-fiction I was looking for.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guns, Germs and Steel and/or Collapse by Jared Diamond were both good reads in non-fiction

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalGrumpySpy View Post
    I'm currently reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman which is non-fiction...
    ...errrrm

It's author claims it to be non-fiction, that much is true I suppose.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He supports much of what he says with footnotes, and as much as I am against the conspiracy types out there this isn't so much that hard to believe..

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not the book's broad claim that's hard to believe; I don't disagree that the US and large corporations have used the international financial system, and international lending and debt, to manipulate and take advantage of poor countries in a number of ways. That's all pretty much a matter of fact. What's hard to believe is the author's specific claims about his personal involvement in this sort of activity--that he was covertly recruited by the NSA (a signals intelligence agency for god's sake) to jet-set around the world as a financial action hero, while being banged by gorgeous women to keep him happy. Some of what he actually has to say about international finance is quite interesting, but the book would be a lot more respectable if he hadn't tried to say those things through a rather ludicrous James Bond narrative starring himself.

Obviously, as with any good fib, it's pretty much impossible to factually refute his claims about the real nature of his personal involvement. No matter how total the lack of supporting evidence, it can be blamed on government/corporate secrecy and cover-ups, CIA goons intimidating those who might corroborate his claims, and so on and so forth. Anyone who accuses him of dishonesty can be dismissed as an apologist for the system. On the other hand it also seems to be impossible to confirm his claims about his personal involvement, all we have to go on is his word. Anyhow I think it's clear that his accounts of his personal involvement are "embellished" to say the least. IMO, that detracts a good deal from the reputable and factual message he is trying to convey about the way in which international financial power is used.
    Last edited by Syme; 12-26-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalGrumpySpy View Post
    A textbook is not exactly the non-fiction I was looking for.
    It isn't a text book. :P

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no doubt in my mind that he is talking himself up to more that a glorified economic analyst. The title is in itself boring which is why he does not dive into that aspect more that mere percent-projections and leaves the rest to our imagination. I don't want to read a book about a guy writing reports and proposals by the glare of his laptop in some hotel room. Which is what he did for the majority of the time he was in-country.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I mean he shouldn't have devoted space in the book to talking about writing reports on his laptop either, obviously. Like I said, he has plenty of interesting things to say about the international financial system itself. It wouldn't have been impossible for him to write a worthwhile book that was purely an analysis and critique of that system, with prescriptions for positive changes, and it would have been adequately interesting to those readers who are interested in that topic in the first place.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Went to the bookstore this morning and returned empty handed with two hours gone. I really need to be more decisive on book.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well geez togs i'm not sure what sort of "science non-fiction" you're interested in. does it have to have a narrative for it not to be a "textbook"?

in that case, guns germs & steel is a decent suggestion. Ancient Encounters: Kennewick Man and the First Americans by james chatters would also be a good suggestion, as it discusses both the implications of the anomalous Kennewick Man as well as the enormous controversy surrounding its study and the hurdles needed to be overcome to do human palaeontological work in the US. however, don''t expect a very balanced recounting of the controversy: the author is one of the palaentologists involved, and the scientists are clearly painted as the "good guys."
    Last edited by sycld; 12-27-2009 at 10:19 AM.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right