Thread: Creek Fishing

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Creek Fishing

I got my boys a rod and reel yesterday. How many of you creek fish with one? I know there is a lot of information on the net about fly fishing but I don't have a fly setup or want one. What kind of gear do you bring with you? I know enough about baits and things like that but what do you put your fish in? You know cause you'll be walking the bank or whatever...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To keep your fish in, you have two options. One is to get a simple bucket (from Home Depot or whatever), use it to scoop up some of the water you'll be fishing in, and toss your catch in that. The other to get an actual creel, which is a sort of lidded basket-type thing, usually with a shoulder strap, designed to hold your catch. Put some wet clean glass in the bottom of it if you use one. As for other gear: You shouldn't need anything more than the contents of a normal basic tackle box, i.e. hooks and weights of the appropriate sizes/types, floats if you use them, your bait and lures, some extra line, a leatherman tool, and so forth.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I dont go creek fishing, mainly because of the lack of creeks around here. But I do fish as my dads pond sometimes though. We usually just put the fish in an ice chest. They will stay alive longer than in a bucket IMO. Because they have more room to move around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    I got my boys a rod and reel yesterday. How many of you creek fish with one? I know there is a lot of information on the net about fly fishing but I don't have a fly setup or want one. What ki. nd of gear do you bring with you? I know enough about baits and things like that but what do you put your fish in? You know cause you'll be walking the bank or whatever...
    (It's fishing not rocket science.) You use night crawlers and meal worms on brim hooks. You won't need to use weights or "sinkers" because you're in a creek,but you may want to use "bobbers" so you can see what's going on. Easier for the kids too & it'll make 'em pay attention. And put your fish in a bucket.. Unless you want to pan fry them on an open fire right there. Don't forget a "stringer" in case you get a hole in your bucket.
    Last edited by Beef; 02-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengeful Scars View Post
    then again I'd hit a horse
    Quote Originally Posted by captain castle View Post
    Seriously guys let me have it

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beef this is why people don't like you. Anyway I'm kind of leaning against the bucket though I guess I could throw some ice in it. I normally use an ice chest because the fish will still be fresh when I get them home. They use up all the oxygen in the bucket too quick. Like I said maybe ice will help. I'd just hate lugging around that ice chest up and down the creek.

I got a few beetle spins and will more than likely set the boys up with live crickets and bobbers. The wife says she wants worms but I have a feeling I'll be the one bating the hook heh.

I've been looking it up and it looks like it's going to be a fun outing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengeful Scars View Post
    then again I'd hit a horse
    Quote Originally Posted by captain castle View Post
    Seriously guys let me have it

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't bother with a bobber for an adult, but it does make it more fun for children.

I would just bring a medium-sized cooler and throw some ice in it. That'll keep the fish long enough to get them home.