Thread: New (to me) .45

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New (to me) .45

Well I bought a somewhat non-functional gun the other day, and today is the first chance I got to play with it.

I had a good friend that was tired of his new Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS nosediving and jamming on the 6th round out of the mag. Not nosedive into the feed ramp but into the inside of the mag. Despite cleaning and re-lubricating everything multiple times and him attempting to adjust the mag feed lips it continued to have issues. Instead of sending it back to them and waiting for some gosh awful amount of time they are known for taking to fix something he took it to a gun shop to trade it. They only offered him $150 for it so he walked out and kept it. (he hadn't told them it was screwing up)

He called me and told me that was what they offered him and there was no way he was going to let them take it and resell it for over twice that, and he would sell it to anyone else that knew the problems for a range toy for that first. I ponied up the $150 bucks.

I took it apart and cleaned it, lubed it up myself and then I started taking the mags apart to clean them. I noticed that the bullets appeared to be releasing late if I eased the slide forward to watch them. I decided since there was 3 I would sacrifice one to experimentation. I spread the front edge just a bit until the release point looked right. While I was doing this I figured it couldn't hurt much if I eased the front edge out a smidge so it would have a slight angle to it instead of straight up. I labeled the mags 1, 2, 3 with 1 being the one I tweaked on.

From the range I loaded them all with Winchester white box FMJ first. Mag 1 run 12 rds fine. Mag 2 stove piped on the 3rd shot and then nosedived on 6, after clearing malfunctions the rest of the mag worked fine. Mag 3 faced 2 failure to ejects/double feeds, it appeared the rear edge of the brass rim was catching the front part of the brass on the next round in the mag and the extractor was slipping off.

I continued to put another 3 loads of FMJ thru mag 1, and a load of white box HP, as well as a load of FMJ and HP alternated with no malfunctions.

When I was cleaning the GSR off the front of the gun and looking at it when I got home I noticed a chunk of black hardened looking grease and crud under the edge of the extractor. I scraped this out with my knife, so this may or may not have been part of my ejection issues.

Will update tomorrow and see if mag 3 has the same ejection issues. Will try and remember to take tools with me down to the range to tweak on mags 2 and 3 and see if I can get them working. If not there is always the option to buy a couple more since I only have $150 plus ammo in it.

OH BTW picture:
    "Back in the old, dark days of the internet when men were men, women were men, and children were FBI agents, no one cared what people thought of them"

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Send it to Taurus. Along with the mags. It may take a little while, but they will fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is a screaming deal for what sounds like a magazine + extractor problem, dude.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I'm wondering if Taurus will honor the warranty since I'm not the original purchaser, I guess I need to go read the fine print on this.

I put another 100 rd box of FMJ thru it today, I tried mag 2 and 3 and was still having plenty of issues with them after adjusting a smidge. I had a single failure with the mag 1 that hadn't gave problems before but it was a cartridge that wasn't sized properly and this was confirmed by it failing to chamber fully in a 1911, and a.45 glock that was being used at the range at the time. I guess this is to be expected with cheap ammo.

Also I am glad I bought up around 2K rounds when it was plentiful and a little cheaper, else I wouldn't be able to get any to see if it was working. The only thing I have been able to find local lately is magtech +P gaurdian golds, and Hornady critical defense. I now have a friend that reloads so I will be trading brass for reloaded ammo

The failures to eject is making me think it could be an extractor issue as well, it could be more of this grease and junk under it inside but I really don't know how to get the extractor out to see, and that's past the point of don't disassemble it any further that the manual says.

I'm still convinced that its minor problems that they can fix easily, and still a good deal. It is slightly frustrating like it is now and making me wish I had a good revolve. I did practice shooting at some steel plate targets we have at the range today with the working mag, and it did appear to be accurate once I centered and tightened down the rear sight. It was loose enough I could just about push it out of the dovetail.
    "Back in the old, dark days of the internet when men were men, women were men, and children were FBI agents, no one cared what people thought of them"

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will honor the warranty.

Get them to send you a shipping label.