Thread: Question about wireless broadband cards...

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Question about wireless broadband cards...

My dad can get a laptop with a wireless broadband card from work. he does all the stats for the HS football team, and was wondering if he brought it to the games so he could e-mail the stats if the office would be able to know where the card was used. And that he put it in HIS laptop.

Basically, If my dad gets an internet card from work, will they be able to tell that he used it out of the courtroom (they are meant for the courtroom btw) and in a different computer?

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it's a service that you subscribe to or have to sign in on, then I am sure they will be able to trace when the card/service is being used. But I am not so sure they would know where.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The school doesn't have wifi? I'd try suggesting to the computer department that a wifi school ground would be the bomb. But tell him not to say bomb at school.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If he took it out of his work laptop and put it into his personal laptop it would be easy for them to know that he did that. It would also be provable that he used it outside of a courtroom, but that would be more difficult to do.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who is the provider of the internet card? At my old company, Cingular/AT&T provided us with a card. We were able to get broadband internet as long as we had sufficient signal. Like, cell phone signal. I used it one time driving from Central PA to northern NY and it worked no problem.

Once connected, you can then VPN into the network and do your job, or you can use it for personal shit and surf. As far as tracking it, the ISP may be able to see what tower(s) you are connected to and try to pinpoint a location.

Keep in mind, you will need the software on your laptop to use this.

Is it a wifi card? If so, it should just grant you access to wireless signals. Probably B/G. As long as the driver is installed on your laptop, it should work without an issue. His laptop may be set up to use in the courthouse on their wireless network, but that doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your dad will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    If he took it out of his work laptop and put it into his personal laptop it would be easy for them to know that he did that.
    How would they know?

It would also be provable that he used it outside of a courtroom, but that would be more difficult to do.
    Again, how?

These cards aren't magic; they're just cellular radios; they function just like a tethered phone would. You don't get some detailed report at the end of the month with triangulated positions or anything crazy, you just get a breakdown of data usage and even that doesn't list specific sites or services.

Quote Originally Posted by Harner View Post
    As far as tracking it, the ISP may be able to see what tower(s) you are connected to and try to pinpoint a location.
    True, but this isn't something the provider does without a good reason. Like a court order or some kind of verifiable abuse.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The simple answer to both questions is yes. Would his company have that information readily available? Not if they aren't the ISP. Would they seek info like that threw the ISP? Highly unlikely. Info like that doesn't come in reports like ephekt said. It can be researched though, but again the chances of that are slim.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
    True, but this isn't something the provider does without a good reason. Like a court order or some kind of verifiable abuse.
    Yep. When you worry about compliance everyday you need to factor in things like this

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephekt View Post

this isnt csi or the police. work pays for it work can do whatever they want and its more dependent on how much the provider is willing to do moreso than what they are legally bound to do/not do

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goku View Post
    this isnt csi or the police. work pays for it work can do whatever they want and its more dependent on how much the provider is willing to do moreso than what they are legally bound to do/not do
    Obviously, but most providers use their legal obligation as a metric to determine how much they will do. They're not going to spy on a single employee for a single company upon a simple, non-binding, request though. That should be common sense.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just use proxies and then no one will know what your dad is doing on the internet. Easy as that.