Thread: Best of's

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Best of's

Yo yo niggas fo sho. I was having a little convo earlier with a friend regarding our all time favourite video games. We moved on from that to series and character favourites and was wanting to spread it on here, just because I am bored. Well, not neccessarily favourites, more in your opinion what are the best. Ideally discuss why you think your chosen ones are the best. I know alot of people won't really agree with my choices, it is reflective of the consoles I own but I can only base this on my experiences. It is likely that if I owned more consoles, this list would be different but there ya go.

Top 10 Best Games Ever

1 - Final Fantasy VII - I loved just about every aspect of it. For me, an RPG must have a strong and engaging plot with a solid cast of characters. FF7 made me care about the characters, most if not all were strong characters unlike many other RPG's I have played, when Aries is killed I was totally shocked and it lasted for days, credit to the game for making me care.

I loved the pace of the story, from the outset I just knew that it was going to be epic and the way it builds from a bunch of terrorists blowing shit up to fighting to save the planet, exploring each of the characters motivations as the story unfolds, unravelling secrets of the past in order to change the present and the way it makes you contemplate the relationship bewteen ourselves and the planet, really in my opinion, created an unforgettable and totally amazing gaming experience.

2 - Command and Conquer Red Alert - Best PC game ever made. I fucking loved this game. The way each campaign pans out, with a far more serious tone than its sequel was epic. I struggle to find words to describe this game. It will forever hold a special place in my heart, an even more special place than the rest of the games listed. This was the first game that I got properly hooked on. It really made you feel like you were this badass commander and had a more realistic feel than the original Command and Conquer.

3 - Shadow of the Colossus - Beautiful. A totally refreshing approach to game design, on paper this game looks shit, 16 consequetive(sp) boss fights with the barest of plot pretences. How could it work? Beauty and atmosphere, thats how. The sense of isolation that builds with the deliberate lack of music as you run across barren lands to the tune of your horses steps, till eventually you encounter a moving mountain and are greeted by an epic musical score and even more epic a battle. Words really cannot do this game justice, it must be experienced.

4 - Resident Evil 4 - Whilst the original Resident Evil was pretty groundbreaking at its time, it was a long wait for the series to hit its peak. I must admit, I had a terrible struggle to get into the game, it took me over a year before I sat down and gave it a proper go. And looking back...this to me is what video games are all about.

RPGs tend to lean towards epic stories and strong characters with fairly basic and non testing gameplay (which I usually like), whilst alot of action adventure games focus more on its gameplay, they are more challenging and the story usually serves as a frame for the actual action gameplay. Not often does a game come along that not only strikes a nice balance between them, but is comprised with such excellence in its components.

This is a journey through a virtual, rural European hellhole that managed to create a brilliant sense of tension as you creep around, constantly looking over your shoulder for a derranged local ina desparate attempt to stay alive and find someone. The characters are strong, the plot takes you on a rollercoaster ride that is engaging and pulls you in and it is driven by some excellent gameplay mechanics.

Not necessarily anything original, it doesn't need to be. It is an example of tried and tested mechanics done well and set in a darkly atmoshperic world and plot and it just works.

5 - Sonic and Knuckles - I was a Sega man in the 90's, so instead of playing Mario, I played Sonic. Of all the Sonic games, my favourite and in my opinion the best was Sonic and Knuckles. For its time it looked amazing, it was an audio visual treat, the music from the Lava Reef Zone is my favourite game music of all time. I really felt a sense of climax to it as you neared the end of the game, winning over Knuckles and preparing to stop the deathegg was one of the most epic experiences available at the time.

The fast paced platform gameplay really appealed to me, integrated with the stunning backdrops, this was probably the closest thing to eye candy I had experienced at the time and for me was the best example of the genre I had encountered.

6 - Tekken 2 - Of all the beatem ups I have played, this one will always be in my eyes the best. I loved Mortal Combat, Street Fighter and just about every beatem up on the 16 bit consoles. On the 32 bit and above, Soul Blade/Calibur was excellent but Tekken 2 was just brilliant. At the time, it was a revelation. You could sit up all night having Tekken 2 tournaments with your friends...what a fucking game.

7 - Okami - Like Resident Evil 4, this game manages to strike an excellent balance between gameplay mechanics and plot and whilst some of the gameplay mechanics are a little weaker than they should be, the plot, environments and characters more than make up for it. This, like Shadow of the Colossus, is a work of beauty. It has a strange, almost childlike and naive charm about it, which at first can be hard to stomach but once you get into the adventure you come to love it.

8 - Streets of Rage - Oh shit son, best 2 player game ever. This was just fun, especially with a friend to play it with as you battle through the hordes of scum, trying not to fight your friend as a bottle hits you and he denies it, but you know he did it and then you use your special attack (calling the cops) just beforea boss to spite him and he gets pissed off and stops talking to you, but you keep going and get to the last boss, but he dies and you don't, you keep going and nail the fucker and all is forgiven and you maybe hug, but I don't because Im not gay.

9 - Gran Turismo 2 - I am not a fan of this genre but the Gran Turismo series, specifically the 2nd installment got me hooked. The career mode where you win races, get money, supe your car and try to get the driving licenses was awesome fun. It looked superb and it played like I imagined driving would be like. I include this mainly because it is a genre that does not appeal to me in the slightest, yet for some reason I couldn't put it down.

10 - World of Warcraft - I am not going to waste my time justifying this, people probably hate me enough for including it, but its a fucking phenomenon and as much as you may hate it, or play other ones to show that your not all like a sheep ya, games don't get this big unless it has something going for it.

I wanted to do like a best characters etc but I am tired. I will do some other time.

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gismo View Post
    Yo yo niggas fo sho.
    Was that really the best way to engage your reading audience? Your post was pretty good, but your intro is not a good way to introduce your article if you want any credibility. Just some constructive criticism!

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Too lazy to give a description, but.....

1)Resident Evil 4
    2)The Legend of Zelda
    3)Super Mario Bros. 3
    4)Super Mario World
    5)Final Fantasy 7
    6)Final Fantast 10
    7)Sonic the Hedgehog
    8)Halo
    9)Ocarina of Time
    10)Majora's Mask
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    Too lazy to give a description, but.....

1)Resident Evil 4
    2)The Legend of Zelda
    3)Super Mario Bros. 3
    4)Super Mario World
    5)Final Fantasy 7
    6)Final Fantast 10
    7)Sonic the Hedgehog
    8)Halo
    9)Ocarina of Time
    10)Majora's Mask
    Ocarina of Time was the greatest game. Ever.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No Kingdom Hearts? I loved that game, the second sucked ass in my opinion though. What about GoldenEye, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2, or even Halo? (I hate Xbox though) Touche with Shadow of the Colossus though.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In no particular order.

Call of Duty 4
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Links Awakening
    A link to the past
    Super Mario World
    GTA: SA (Based purely on replayability. If it was on story then it would be VC)
    Max Payne
    Medal of Honor: Frontline
    MGS4
    Star Wars Battlefront (I and II)

I also enjoyed Kirby on teh GB.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In no particular order.

1. Halo
    2. GTA 4
    3. Star Wars Battlefront 2
    4. Splintercell Pandora Tomorrow
    5. Resident Evil 4
    6. F.E.A.R.
    7. God of War
    8. Banjo Kazooie
    9. Donkey Kong Country
    10. Animal Crossing

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No particular order

Half Life 2 (plus episodes)
    Supreme Commander
    Portal
    GTA 4
    Team Fortress 2
    COD 4
    Dead Space
    F.E.A.R.
    Max Payne
    Command and Conquer (the original)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These lists suck.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. Tetris. I literally haven't spent more time on probably anything else in my life ever. It's not really a game, it's more of a drug that leaves you hooked and wanting more. From the ridiculous amount of money my parents must have spent on batteries for my gameboy as a kid to the days of procrastination the simple version on my computer has provided, no game has really provided as much entertainment with such magnificent simplicity as Tetris. Sure, we overlook it for faster, modern, more graphic, more intelligent bang pop wow games of the twenty first century but really who gives two shits? Just give me a box in which different patterned blocks fall at an ever-increasing speed.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    These lists suck.
    Then provide something better?

No particular order:
    Time Splitters: Future Perfect
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
    Super Mario Bros
    Half Life 2
    Call of Duty 4
    GTA IV
    God of War
    Resident Evil 4

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tl;dr. Fo sho niggas! Zelda definately beind 1st or second.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Diablo II took over my life for a good while. I miss that game.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No particular order:

Final Fantasy VII
    Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time
    Diablo 2
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    God of War
    GTA:VC
    Star Wars:KOTOR
    Portal
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Starcraft

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    1. Tetris. I literally haven't spent more time on probably anything else in my life ever. It's not really a game, it's more of a drug that leaves you hooked and wanting more. From the ridiculous amount of money my parents must have spent on batteries for my gameboy as a kid to the days of procrastination the simple version on my computer has provided, no game has really provided as much entertainment with such magnificent simplicity as Tetris. Sure, we overlook it for faster, modern, more graphic, more intelligent bang pop wow games of the twenty first century but really who gives two shits? Just give me a box in which different patterned blocks fall at an ever-increasing speed.
    Oh God yes. That game gets so addicting, I remember going to sleep at night and hearing that music. I would hear the music everywhere. I haven't played it in awhile because I know it will be all that I do, lol.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    Oh God yes. That game gets so addicting, I remember going to sleep at night and hearing that music. I would hear the music everywhere. I haven't played it in awhile because I know it will be all that I do, lol.
    i was on a tetris streak for a week one time and i would dream of blocks falling

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. FF6
    2. Link to the Past
    3. Earthbound
    4. Chrono trigger
    5. Secret of Mana
    6. FF7
    7. FF4
    8. 7th Saga
    9. Legend of Dragoon
    10. Excite bike

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. Final Fantasy 7
    2. Half-Life 1-2
    3. Super Mario Bros. 3
    4. Halo 1-2

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Scarf View Post
    Was that really the best way to engage your reading audience? Your post was pretty good, but your intro is not a good way to introduce your article if you want any credibility. Just some constructive criticism!
    I didn't know how to introduce it, so I just wrote what came into my head.

I have never played kingdom hearts, I am unsure about it, just because of the Disney thing. I have heard good things about the series but...I dunno.

I never had a Nintendo console and have never played Ocarina of Time, my friend gets hard when he talks about it and I am considering getting a N64 and the game for xmas.

Simonj, that was a great post about Tetris. You are right, for such a simple concept it does manage to squeeze out so much fun and addiction.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I totally forgot about Kingdom Hearts and Megaman 3....oh well.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Infernus View Post
    i was on a tetris streak for a week one time and i would dream of blocks falling
    Yeah, that happened to me. Even just when I closed my eyes I would see the game, like I was playing it in my head...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    This guy should jerk off more...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to see at least one person put Chrono Trigger on the list.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kotor 1 and 2 are fucking epic. that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    gabetar you are my internet hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    this thread is for gabetar
    Quote Originally Posted by DickStivers View Post
    bump 4 gabetar

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No particular order:
    1. Pokemon Red
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. Mortal Combat
    4. Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
    5. Red Alert 2
    6. FFXI
    7. Devil May Cry I
    8. Age of Empires
    9. Super Smash Brothers(The Original)
    10. James Bond Golden Eye

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to play the Frozen Throne, I have Reign of Chaos but don't have the cash for the expansion. I wish I had have played Warcraft back in the day. When I was a kid, my pal had Orcs versus Humans and it sounded like the best thing ever. And by all accounts the Tides of Darkness was an orgy of epic win.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to play the Frozen Throne, I have Reign of Chaos but don't have the cash for the expansion. I wish I had have played Warcraft back in the day. When I was a kid, my pal had Orcs versus Humans and it sounded like the best thing ever. And by all accounts the Tides of Darkness was an orgy of epic win.
    Now you cant just buy the Frozen Throne. It comes in a battle chest with Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne together and its like $40 bucks.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. NCAA 2009
    2. NCAA 2008
    3. NCAA 2007
    4. Mario Kart 64
    5. Super Smash Bros.
    6. Mutant League Football
    7. Madden 1993
    8. Madden 2006
    9. Madden 1994
    10. Mutant League Hockey

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Scarf View Post
    This is Gamer's Haven... not a political discussion..

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    1. NCAA 2009
    2. NCAA 2008
    3. NCAA 2007
    4. Mario Kart 64
    5. Super Smash Bros.
    6. Mutant League Football
    7. Madden 1993
    8. Madden 2006
    9. Madden 1994
    10. Mutant League Hockey
    GTFO.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice list gismo, I really like C&C:RA as well.
    my list

1.Rollercoaster tycoon
    2.Guitar Hero
    3.Ocarina of Time
    4.Jak and Daxter
    5.Command and Conquer Red Alert
    6.Shinobi (ps2 version)
    7.Mortal Combat
    8.Super Smash Brothers
    9.DOOM
    10.Golden Eye

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

final fantasy made me cry

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

aeris dies or is it aerith??? Must Love Dogs

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF7, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Chrono Trigger and Perfect Dark should be on EVERYONE'S list

GTA IV was an overhyped piece of crap. Whoever made the decision to go down the 'realistic' route needs to be shot.

Edit: It's Aeris. Aerith was some 'translation-mishap gone fanboy gimmick' thing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. Mappy
    2. Bubble Bobble
    3. Bubble Bobble II
    4. The Adventures of Lolo
    5. Adventure (for the Atari-- is that duck suppose to be a dragon...?)
    6. Pong
    7. Asteroids
    8. Sinistar
    9. ZZT
    10. Moraff's Dungeons of the Unforgiven

...4srs

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crysack View Post
    Goldeneye should be on EVERYONE'S list
    In my opinion, that game was awesome back in the day. My buddy brought his N64 up to his dorm last year and it was not as good as I remembered it. Maybe it was just the lame controller of the 64. I guess to each his own.

Let flaming begin.
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 10-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    In my opinion, that game was awesome back in the day. My buddy brought his N64 up to his dorm last year and it was not as good as I remembered it. Maybe it was just the lame controller of the 64. I guess to each his own.

Let flaming begin.
    Compared to todays fps' it really does kinda suck, but when it was new it was amazing. I spent hours and hours sending guards into the air with remote bombs, oh so much fun it was. Also the multiplayer was intense

a wheel within a wheel never ending nor beginning on an ever spinning reel
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never played kingdom hearts, I am unsure about it, just because of the Disney thing. I have heard good things about the series but...I dunno.
    How have you not been called out on this yet?!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pringles View Post
    nice list gismo, I really like C&C:RA as well.

5.Command and Conquer Red Alert
    Good man. This was the first game that I ever got hooked on, I got all my pals hooked on it too. I was the only one with a PC, so we used to all come round mines and play this for hours, creating custom maps and super armies, or ploughing through the campaigns. Good times.

Think, I know I know, it is a pretty shitty reason to avoid a game, but I can't help it. With all the good reviews surrounding the series, I will almost certainly like it. I might order it off of the net one day.

To move it on, who are your top video game characters? I won't post mines just yet, I had started to but aint got enough time to complete it, as I'd like to say a little about why I like them. So if anyone fancies getting the ball rolling, go for it!