Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The next couple of months in MMA

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default The next couple of months in MMA

Oct. 25, UFC 90
    Anderson Silva Vs. Patrick Cote (Cote via stunning upset, not sure how.)
    Diego Sanchez Vs. Thiago Alves (I hope he loses, but when you outweigh your competition by 20 lbs. like Alves usually does....)
    Fabricio Werdum Vs. Junior Dos Santos (Werdum via murder)
    Sean Sherk Vs. Tyson Griffin (I really don't care, I'll enjoy this one no matter who wins. I just hope Tyson remembers a cup this time because I tire of seeing his nut bulge.)

Nov. 5, WEC live on VS
    Urijah Faber Vs. Mike Brown(I've got Faber by....well however he wants to win it.)
    Paulo Filho Vs. Chael Sonnen(Filho via sub.)
    Jens Pulver Vs. Leonard Garcia(Pulver via destructive left hand)

Nov. 15, UFC 91
    Randy Couture Vs. Brock Lesnar (I'm giving it to Lesnar, but I just dunno.)
    Kenny Florian Vs. Joe Stevenson (Ken Flo will probably take it, not sure how yet.)
    Amir Sadollah Vs. Nick Catone (I've honestly not seen Catone fight, but I'll pull for Amir because he seems cool as hell.)
    Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Josh Hendricks (Honestly I don't recall seeing Hendricks fight either. I'll pick Gonzaga because it's a pretty safe bet most of the time.)

Dec. 3, WEC live on Vs.
    Miguel Angel Torres Vs. Manny Tapia(It's the only one they've announced, I'm picking Torres via crazy superspeed destruction.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kos is filling in for Sanchez against Alves. Kos via Ground and Pound.
    Anyway don't forget about Damian Maia v. Nick Quarry on UFC 91. Maia looked absolutely amazing against Jason MacDonald, and I believe is going to tear through the MW division. If he works on his stand up just enough to last long enough with Silva to get the takedown, there is no doubt in my mind he would get the submission. Currently 8-0 MMA, 3-0 in the UFC, with all 3 fights earning him submission of the night awards. Yeah, with all the super fights coming up, I'm still most exciting about seeing Maia fight again. Should be awesome.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And here comes the neighborhood friendly PRIDE nuthugger.

Sengoku 6 is happening on 11/01/08
    though I don't really know the fighters or anything, it has a double tournament (LW and WW) which is always fun to watch (refer to Pride Bushido 9). I also think Gomi and Barnett are fighting albeit mostly likely against cans but watching them is exciting.

Dream has a New Year's event planned.
    No match-ups yet but they have a list of fighters that will be participating. But I want Dream to put on the CroCop-Overeem rematch as soon as possible. And then the winner fights Kharitonov. That's what I want.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dream is pretty entertaining, the Sengoku card is going to be boring imo. I'll probably end up watching them, but I can't seem to get excited by Japanese MMA events. WEC has been the most impressive organization in the last year imo.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fedor v. Arlovski is probably gonna be on the New Years card. It was suppose to be against Barnett, but he bitched out saying there were problems with his contract or something.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In reality, Barnett just wants no part of Fedor.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh yeah, in about 10 minutes the WEC event w/Faber vs. Pulver will be on Vs.

One of my very favorites.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

UFC 90... wow is all I have to say about that.
    Not gonna ruin it if you haven't seen it but yeah Sherk v. Griffin and Alves v. Koscheck were both amazing fights. The end of the night was a huge buzz kill though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you all like seeing sweaty men wrassin' around on the mat?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

duh
    also last night i'm pretty sure none of the fights went to the ground for more than a few seconds, so it was pretty much a bunch of kickboxing fights

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't felt sick watching an injury since Tyrone Prothro in '05(or '06? My memory isn't that good, I remember I was sitting on the 30 in the third row. Oh well, enough rambling.) I'd like to see Cote get his rematch but honestly I don't think that he'll ever be the same fighter. Horribly disappointing imo.

The rest of the card was nothing special either, aside from Sherk/Griffin and Kos/Alves. Also, Werdum is getting fat, and didn't look like he belonged in the cage.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kos really impressed me with his stand up and knock out recovery. In my opinion, he shouldn't have tried to stand with Alves. He's a cocky motherfucker and was trying to beat him at his own game, but it just wasn't going to happen. His stand up is getting really good though, can't wait to see him fight again. Also, before you say Kos couldn't take Alves down, the only times he went in for take downs is when he needed some time to recover from punches. He really wasn't putting 100% into is shots. I'm sure if he planned on taking him down from the start he would have been able to take him down.
    Also the Silva fight annoyed me even before Cote fucked up his knee. Silva was just sitting back showing off and obviously had no intention of finishing the fight in the first two rounds, which he definitely could have down if he wanted to. I think the hype is finally getting to his head, he looked cocky as shit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Silva just looked off from the get go, he didn't look like he was in his usual awesome shape. I'm thinking that he knew he couldn't KO Cote so he landed some good shots whenever Cote left an opening and then bounced away from him. It was a good game plan but he gets no respect from me for it.

On a side note, I would never try to say that Kos couldn't have taken Alves down. That was just one of those fights that no matter who lost, I won. I really don't care much for either of them, but love watching them fight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    Silva just looked off from the get go, he didn't look like he was in his usual awesome shape. I'm thinking that he knew he couldn't KO Cote so he landed some good shots whenever Cote left an opening and then bounced away from him. It was a good game plan but he gets no respect from me for it.
    He definitely could have knocked out Cote. He had him rocked at one point, but just circled away instead of going in for the finish like he usually does. Watch the fight again, every single exchange they had Silva definitively won and could have probably finished the fight, but he just circled away. Honestly he looked like he didn't even want to be there.
    And what the fuck was with him trying to help Cote up while he was on the ground? What happened to wrecking peoples ribs with axe kicks and beating their thighs while they're on the ground until they could barely walk?
    They need to give Silva a real opponent so he gets his ass back in gear and starts fighting again like he used to.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't know man, Cote was never really rocked. He got hit with some solid blows, but nothing too threatening. I agree that Silva was just a shadow of his usual self last night. I'm still sticking with the theory that he didn't want to engage because it was smarter to circle away than to give Cote an opportunity to land a solid shot. Andy is no dummy.

If he would have come out in the same shape he was in for Silva/Franklin II, Cote wouldn't have made it out of the first round. Andy just fails to impress me at the moment. Right now he is nothing like the p4p best.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He never has been the P4P best since Fedor is around. MUTHA F***IN' FEDOR!

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cdc View Post
    He never has been the P4P best since Fedor is around. MUTHA F***IN' FEDOR!
    I fail to see why so many people believe this.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    I fail to see why so many people believe this.
    Come on really? Silva's good, I'd say P4P 3 (under Fedor and GSP), but definitely not the best.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Silva isn't p4p #1 either.

My vote goes to Faber, then GSP, then Fedor, then Penn, then maybe Silva.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol, Faber for number 1? Seriously?
    I mean yeah, he's one of my favorite fighters but the feather weight division isn't exactly what you would call stacked.
    Who has Faber beat that's worthy of mentioning? Jens Pulver and Jeff Curran are really the best he's beat, and while both are great fighters, neither are worth of mention in any pound for pound ranking.
    GSP? I agree he should be above Silva, but not Fedor. Some worth opponents he's beaten are Karo Parisyan, Frank Trigg, Sean Sherk, B.J. Penn, Matt Hughes and Josh Koscheck. Among those, Penn and Hughes stand out as amazing competition, Penn is still in the P4P debate and Hughes definitely was before he was destroyed by GSP. St. Pierre has definitely proven himself, but not as much as Fedor.
    Let's take a look at Fedor's record. First of all, he has zero legit losses. The one loss cause by a stoppage from a cut from an illegal elbow was quickly and convincingly avenged. His worth opponents: Renato Sobral, Heath Herring, Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Mirko Filipović, Mark Hunt, Matt Lindland, and Tim Sylvia. 5 of those men are previous UFC champions. Big Nog still is a P4P great, and CroCrop was before he was destroyed by Fedor.
    I think the main thing that separates Fedor and GSP, is the fact that GSP was stopped twice. Even though he avenged both losses, Fedor has never legitimately been defeated, which gives him the slight edge in ranking. Otherwise it's an extremely close arguement.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

raghead you should know his opinion is a little biased since he is a Faber nuthugger. I mean there is nothing wrong with that and everyone's personal rankings will be slightly biased to say the least. Well for me, I can't see anyone but Fedor as P4P the best fighter no wait the best person ever. I'd give BJ a distant second (this is due to my friend's brainwashing of me).

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am a Faber nuthugger, but I have pretty solid reasoning behind those choices. Faber and GSP only rank as high as they do because they like to beat people at their own games. If you send a jiu jitsu black belt at either of them, they'll be sure to take it to the ground. Send in a world class wrestler, they'll beat them wrestling. Send in a striker.....well you get the picture. Technically speaking, I think Faber is the most talented fighter out there right now.

Fedor is epic, don't get me wrong, but a lot of his hype comes from his great record which was built mostly on fighting freaks and cans. Granted he's taken out some of the best in the business, I just think he's overrated.(Not by much mind you)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd give BJ a distant second (this is due to my friend's brainwashing of me).
    It bothers me when people put BJ over GSP. Penn is my favorite fighter, and I'm willing to bet he's going to beat GSP when they fight, but he simply hasn't proved himself as much as GSP. If he didn't fuck up so much in the past by not training/breaking his own rib/fighting at heavyweight, he'd probably have a perfect record right now. While I think he's going to beat GSP, he simply doesn't belong in that division and I think Alves is going to take the belt from him right after he gets it. If only Penn could have learned from Anderson Silva: Smash everyone in you division and occasionally move up a weight class and smash people bigger than you.
    But yeah, I believe BJ Penn is the most talented and naturally gifted fighter in the world, his ego just ruins it for him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that BJ would have lost to Jens no matter what. Just because it was so early in his career and Jens had so much more experience. (But that's just me) I tend to disregard GSP due to his semi-recent loss to Matt Serra. Though watching his Jon Fitch fight made up for it a tiny bit. I also tend to disregard Anderson Silva after watching his fight vs. Daiju Takase. I know that P4P has nothing to do with record, but in my mind I have trouble separating the two.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might just be typical Dana White hype, but I remember something about him saying that BJ didn't even seriously train for fights until he was beaten by Pulver. Then after that he kinda stopped taking training seriously again til he started losing again.
    Which is going to make it really interesting if Penn beats GSP. Who knows if he'll stay motivated, or slip back into "no body could beat me I don't need to train"?
    As for GSP and Silva's losses, come on man it is pretty obvious both of them have improved IMMENSELY since those fights. Not to mention GSP absolutely destroyed Serra in the rematch.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This may just be my opinion, but Serra beating GSP in the first place was some kind of freak accident anyway.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knocking someone out doesn't constitute as a freak accident lol. Serra threw punches intending to hurt GSP and he succeeded. Nothing accidental about it. The only freak accidents are wins that come from something that neither fighter intended to do. Aka Cote's knee exploding.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok Bas........

I guess freak accident was a bad choice of words. I was going for that was a once in a lifetime occurrence that Serra couldn't pull off again to save his life.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faber's fighting in a few days woo
    Also I might be able to go to UFC 92 live, which would be insanely awesome

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm excited because WEC always seems to put on great shows. Going to UFC 92....well that would probably be the highlight of my life.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do you guys think Couture will do against Lesnar? How do you think Couture would have done against Fedor?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Couture will do well against Lesnar, I'm thinking it'll be a decision fight. I've got Brock winning it though.

Couture/Fedor would have gone something like Couture killing Fedor w/gnp.

That doesn't mean I'm saying that Lesnar could beat Fedor though, he's just a bad matchup for Randy.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couture/Lesnar- Couture via either (T)KO by breaking Lesnar's relatively untested chin or UD if he can't finish him.
    Or Lesnar by Lay n' Pray if we're unlucky.
    Couture/Fedor- I disagree with dj, I think if it went to the ground Fedor would have a big advantage. Fedor I believe is physically a lot stronger than Randy, and definitely has a better submission/ground and pound game. The wrestling is an interesting factor though, it could allow Randy to stay on top, avoid submissions and rain some strikes. Standing, I think Fedor has the advantage again if they just go at it, but if they clinch up Randy definitely has the dirty boxing down. Especially if the fight is in a cage, if Randy could clinch up Fedor against the fence taking him out of his element and putting him into one of Randy's stronger parts of the game, I think he would have a pretty good chance of winning. This one is really tough to call, there are so many "ifs" and "probably"s, which is why it would be such a great fight. The only thing that worries me is if it's already too late. Randy is old as shit right now, we'll just have to wait until the Lesnar fight to see if his age is starting to take it's toll.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    The wrestling is an interesting factor though, it could allow Randy to stay on top, avoid submissions and rain some strikes...... we'll just have to wait until the Lesnar fight to see if his age is starting to take it's toll.
    It's kind of fruitless to debate it anyway, but that's why I thought Randy would win it via gnp. It turns out that the fight isn't happening now anyway, so piss on Dana.....

I honestly don't think Randy's age is a factor. That issue comes up every time the old man fights and hasn't been one yet.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the man does have 8 losses. I mean I think that's issue enough.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't think that's an age issue though. Also one of those losses was to a heavily roided competitor.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the man does have 8 losses. I mean I think that's issue enough.
    record=skill?
    BJ Penn's record is 13-4, he's obviously nothing special.

Anyway the thing about his age is you never know when it's going to start affecting him. He's at that point where one year could make a big difference. I hope he holds out to fight Noguira, and then retires after that if he loses(which I think he would). And if he wins, fights Fedor and then retires. He's one of those guys that everyone wants to see go out in a crazy fight, not after a disappointing performance due to age.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Slightly off topic. Is it possible to not like big Nog? (Not so much from a performance standpoint, but his personality.)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He seems like a chill guy. The way he handled the whole Vinny situation was kinda eh but I mean he was probably under a lot of pressure and they encourage everyone to create drama for the whole reality tv bullshit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    record=skill?
    BJ Penn's record is 13-4, he's obviously nothing special.

Anyway the thing about his age is you never know when it's going to start affecting him. He's at that point where one year could make a big difference. I hope he holds out to fight Noguira, and then retires after that if he loses(which I think he would). And if he wins, fights Fedor and then retires. He's one of those guys that everyone wants to see go out in a crazy fight, not after a disappointing performance due to age.
    I know I'm pretty radical but I'm going to say that there is a correlation between one's record and one's skill.