Thread: The Walking Dead

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Walking Dead

It's an AMC original series about zombies. So far I would say it's really good. The makeup is well done and it's not too "OMG ZOMBIE" "SHIT ZOMBIES" "LOOK OUT THEY'RE COMING" you know? I guess this is expected because it's not a movie, it's a TV show so they need sustenance to keep it going for a season and possibly more.

I was tres upset about the
    Spoiler
    though. I had just watched Dawn of the Dead and was still in the mindset that the zombies were only after
    Spoiler

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I liked it, there were a few things that were kinda lame, like the blood splatter effects when they shoot a zombie in the head, or when they told the cop to make sure his safety was off and he turned it off. (He had a Glock, which has no thumb safety, but I dont expect most people to know that.)

Ill be watching every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah when he shot the half zombie it looked pretty bad

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was good enough to watch for another week. I'm afraid there is liable to be too much action and not enough character development. AMC's best shows are high on characters and low on action (Mad Men, Rubicon, Breaking Bad.)

The fact that it's based in Atlanta earns it a mild credit as far as I'm concerned, but I've gotta be honest... the zombie behavior is already a pretty annoying inconsistency. At times they are stumbling shambles, and at times they appear coordinated and effective. I get that this might vary some based on how hungry they are, but the scene in the city just seemed ridiculous and over the top for him to
    Spoiler

I like the sheriff character, and I think I will like his partner and wife. Before they got introduced in present-day, I really liked the black guy and his son, but I don't know if they'll be recurring characters or more of the "miraculous return after being missing for four episodes" kind.

I also like they way they have planned out the environment and people's reactions, both to the zombies and their environment. The discussion about warning people along the road into Atlanta, for example, was both an effective foreshadowing attempt, as well as a thoughtful discussion for a survivor. I thought the family within the house he checks for gas was another pleasant realism.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    The fact that it's based in Atlanta earns it a mild credit as far as I'm concerned, but I've gotta be honest... the zombie behavior is already a pretty annoying inconsistency. At times they are stumbling shambles, and at times they appear coordinated and effective. I get that this might vary some based on how hungry they are, but the scene in the city just seemed ridiculous and over the top for him to
    Spoiler

Spoiler
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

took me a while to get around to it

this is a pretty fantastic show. I haven't seen the second episode yet, but from what I can tell it's nice to see a show feat. zombies not a show about zombies. The walking dead are, for the most part, background, intended to push development or reinforce the characters who are in the show. There's enough tension to keep my attention, but time will tell whether or not it will actually be a story set in zombieland or another blood-spatter action show.

Spoiler
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    took me a while to get around to it

this is a pretty fantastic show. I haven't seen the second episode yet, but from what I can tell it's nice to see a show feat. zombies not a show about zombies. The walking dead are, for the most part, background, intended to push development or reinforce the characters who are in the show. There's enough tension to keep my attention, but time will tell whether or not it will actually be a story set in zombieland or another blood-spatter action show.

Spoiler
    Yep, thats how I saw it. I think they even have a shot of one zombie looking at another and then following him, if i remember corerectly.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, sorry, but that's a bunch of rationalization. He walked through that intersection and clearly could have seen if there were a number of zombies in any direction. We saw, what, maybe 3? All of a sudden there were 300 coming from that direction. The show might be good, or even great, but when I've watched 2 hours of it and there are glaring flaws, it makes me question whether or not I should invest the third hour.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is a basic idea of what is plausible to create this scenario:

j

I just don't understand how this wouldn't be realistic? several smaller areas with a high density and the inbetween space filled with outliers. He walks past outliers and disturbs a crowd, who starts making noise, noise that carries really fucking far in a silent city, and every zombie for miles starts moving in a direction towards the source of the noise, from the horse hooves to the actual groans.

It's rationalization, I guess, but it's not something so unlikely that I would interrupt my suspension of disbelief.
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

atmosfear's quibble about the zombie movement in the first episode is stupid but everything else he's said is dead on -- the show does have a lot more action than character drama but sometimes it's nice to have an action-driven drama that still delivers on the drama (unlike 99% of action-driven shows/movies ever) as opposed to something more dry like mad men. which, it goes without saying, is also amazing.

i'm four episodes in, and haven't found myself really getting invested in any character in particular (although i am very fond of dale, mostly because he reminds me of my friend's dad), but having said that, the conversation between the two sisters on the boat, and subsequent death of amy, was CLASSIC whedon storytelling done as artfully as anything joss ever did. i'm surprised i didn't see it coming until too late. the drama:action ratio means the character development and the development of dramatic situations is taking longer than on most shows but i'm still hooked. and at least it's moving faster than lost did... although i think lost had a far bigger cast of regulars, so i'm not sure why it's so much harder for me to learn these characters' names and care about them then it was for locke, hurley, charlie, etc. i suppose, for one thing, this show just isn't funny.

interesting credit observations: bear mcreary is the composer (he did the excellent BSG reboot music) and david boyd is the DP (he did phenomenal work on firefly and i believe worked on deadwood as well).

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

also the OTHER cop (ie. the 'leader' of the camp, not rick, i think his name is sean) sounds exactly like brad pitt in inglourious basterds.

Man Behind the Camera
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Season one was interesting, it is clearly fantastic in terms of technical creation. But i will say that the whole season just lost steam near the end...I understand it was relevant to the characters in the show to find out about the result of the zombie attack. But the whole series seemed to be telling us what the whole idea of a zombie outbreak was...by the end of the series, all we know is what zombies are, how the virus works and how to kill a zombie, they then further progress into realising there is low hope for a cure and most cities have been taken over. This is ok for the characters but for any viewer who has seen any zombie movie in the past it just becomes boring to watch, because they are telling us everything that we as a viewer, already know.

The characters are fairly stock, i dont hate the show but i wish they continued the comic adaption a little bit better, most people who saw the show admit that the pilot episode was the best, and i agree...i just hope for season two to be a little bit more progressive.