Thread: superhero fiction

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default superhero fiction

what do you like most about superhero fiction? (inclusive of non-sci fi/superpowered superheros eg. batman etc)

i ask because i'm starting to work on a new project which may or may not be a comic series of some kind about superheroes of some nature. i know what i like about superhero fiction -- but what in it speaks to you?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like how expansive the multi-verses are in DC and Marvel.

I actually generally like the practice of (creative) ret-conning. I feel like it let's creators be freer to push the envelope in powerful story telling. (eg Writers freer to kill off a major character)

I also like watching police dramas, so I think just the basic heroics also speaks to me.

I like the idea of having a nemesis or a rogues gallery.

Oh and secret identities... I like the idea of living a double life with a secret identity. The more closely guarded the secret, the better.

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose I enjoy the moral conflicts or personality flaws that come up when you are more powerful then an entire race. Like how the Sentry wouldn't use his powers for fear or releasing the Void or how Professor X could forcefully change people's minds to tolerate his race but refused to. That kinda stuff always makes for a great read.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i am very attracted to ideas you both touched on, especially of heroism and moral choices. i read a review of a sam harris book that suggested that if science was an objective search for truth in physical space, then philosophy can be described as the same thing but in hypothetical space. superhero fiction, to me, is exactly that kind of hypothetical space.

i'm really, really interested in heroes. what it means to be a hero, and the great responsibilities that come not just with great power, but with knowing that great injustices are happening.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    I suppose I enjoy the moral conflicts or personality flaws that come up when you are more powerful then an entire race. Like how the Sentry wouldn't use his powers for fear or releasing the Void or how Professor X could forcefully change people's minds to tolerate his race but refused to. That kinda stuff always makes for a great read.
    yeah, i find it usually makes for a disappointing read. i love the ideas, but i can't remember when i've felt the ideas were satisfyingly explored.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

btw if this super hero comic book thing comes to fruition, I'd be interested in reading it.

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I like stories that involve redemption - basically villains becoming heroes. Some good examples are Emma Frost, the Thunderbolts, Magneto, and Hal Jordan (even though he went hero --> villain --> hero)

I find it doesn't work nearly as well in the opposite direction, such as in Emerald Twilight or more recently Shadowland, with a notably exception obviously being the Dark Phoenix Saga
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    atmosfear did you suck gina's dick
    Quote Originally Posted by atmosfear View Post
    fuck yes.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

redemption is more interesting than corruption, certainly; perhaps because it is "more hypothetical", if you get my meaning -- you just don't hear about bad guys making good in the real world as much as you hear of hero figures letting everyone down.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i suspect it also speaks to a certain optimism that, deep down, people want to have in their storytelling. we want to believe that villainy can either be defeated or reformed, and especially in the case of hero -> villain -> hero we seem to need to believe that our hero has never gone irredeemably bad.

it's odd that, despite it going against what we see so often in the world, we want to believe that compassion and goodness can spring from where there was none before, but we find it so intolerable to think that it can be entirely and lastingly expunged.

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    yeah, i find it usually makes for a disappointing read. i love the ideas, but i can't remember when i've felt the ideas were satisfyingly explored.
    There are a few comics that are satisfying. The new Outsiders where Nightwing forms his own team. That one was interesting because he creates a group who will do preemptive heroics and take people down BEFORE they become a true threat. That has a lot of conflict in whether they are doing the right thing or not. It's short, which is unfortunate.

Another good one I've found is the comic Chew. While it is meant to be funny, there are several instances where it asks the question is whether or not the truth is worth killing for or is it better to let sleeping dogs lie because people are happiest when ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

My favorite part of superhero fiction is Wyclef Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by gina View Post
    i can't tell if we're in the throes of a troll toll (to get into the boy's soul) or if there's just one more big floppy douchebag pussywhipped idiot walkin around out there