Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: League of Legends (LoL)

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default League of Legends (LoL)

LoL is a dota spinoff, and it's a very good one. If you like fast paced micromanagement based group PvP, this game might be something worth trying. You get to select a champion (there are TONS) and eventually customize your "summoner" (you as a player) with runes and masteries (talent tree knockoff from WoW). Your summoner also levels up over time, and you earn IP (influence points) which can be used to unlock more summoners/runes/etc. It's progressive enough to get into for people who want games with depth.

Here's coq's basic rundown of the game. I suggest you play a few matches or at least the tutorial so you have an idea of the terms he uses:

Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    general rule for team comps are 1 carry, 1/2 supports, 1/2 tanks, 1 mage

the metagame changes every couple months it seems. It went from massive AoEs to CC to poke comps to heal comps to tanky dps and now it's something i haven't quite put my finger on, but to be fair I only play occasionally and casually.

biggest thing is learning the general genre all champs fall into, which is generally obvious enough by looking at them. melee/ranged dps, mages, supports and tanks. There are hybridizations, but they tend to lean more towards purer roles for more effectiveness in general anyways.

general phases are: laning phase, ganking/roaming phase (midgame) and teamfight/ganking(late game). Plenty of games end before the lategame, but those are more for entire teams who know what the hell they're doing.

for laning, denying (killing your own creeps) has been removed, so it's just balancing last hitting with harassment/deny (current denial is pushing the champions far enough from the creeps that they receive no xp) and avoiding getting ganked, either by mid or the jungler. sometimes you can jump in for a kill, if they overextend. don't casually autoattack the creeps - this pushes your wave too far. just last hit them. if either of your opponents leaves for any reason, tell your team. calling mias is both crucial and polite. most importantly - don't die. first blood is 400 gold (which is a huge early advantage, something like 3 or 4 full creep waves, assuming you last hit all of them). regular kills get you 300, and there's a bonus if the opponent has been on a killing spree. assists also net gold, so your death ends up giving the enemy team 550 gold or so for first blood, as well as making you lose out on experience while you're away from your lane. Whatever you do, don't die.

midgame comes after the first tower falls, usually one of the duo side lanes. one of those champs will stay and defend/farm and the other will jump between the other lanes either to push them down or gank anyone hanging around. you want to watch the minimap to see who's missing to make sure you don't overextend by, say, attacking a turret with a creep wave when 4 of the enemy team are in the fog of war. buy wards and place them in bushes, emphasizing the river and buff monsters as well as choke points (these mostly overlap, you'll only really need to place 3 at a time or so). map vision is cery important, but nobody wards until you get into mid or mid/high elo games.

sometime between midgame and lategame you should, especially if you're support, never go anywhere alone. hang out with the dps or the offtanks all the time. going out alone is generally suicide, until you get a feel for where the enemy is likely to be (usually buffs or between lanes). If you are going out alone, it's only to kill some creeps that are pushing your lanes past the river, and you only push them to the river and only if you know where most of the other team is.

late game is just trying to ace the other team and push down turrets when you have the player advantage, either by killing one of them off (forcing a 4v5) or just straight up killing all of them, then bumrushing the nexus.

I found the easiest champs for me to learn were support or off-tanks.

Janna is a solid support, as is Soraka. Nasus is my favourite off-tank and I'm currently working with Udyr.

Best thing to do, if you're brand new, is to make a game with only you and 1 bot in it. Go to any lane and time your last hitting and get a feel for the damage you do when you're trying to kill people. 90% of the time, you're just looking to unload a combo on them, then run away. learn how to chase and when you've got a feel for quickly dropping your target. if it takes longer than 5 seconds to kill someone, you're probably doing it wrong and would get ganked in a real game.

my summoner name is Maugrim Faustus. it's pretty homosexual, but it's also too late to change.

tl;dr: concentrate on having a good early game by last hitting and not dying. after the first tower falls, stay with your team all the time. someone will tell you what to do and you might even win.
    As a new player, I struggled with the importance of three things:

1) Don't die. Your opponents will flourish if you "feed" them and you will ultimately lose if you die too much.
    2) Gain XP. Constantly be near minions dying until your team is powerful enough to travel as a group.
    3) Gain gold. Coq mentions "last hitting" minions, and its something that I find very annoying and tedious, but it's an integral part of the game. Get good at it.

Feel free to post your LoL summoner name here and me/sycld/coq will add you and play games with you.
    Last edited by faesce; 03-11-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    I got my allowance but I spent it all on ice cream

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This thread is cute

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Coq that reply is too far in depth for a game like LoL. You should convert over to HoN.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LoL beats HoN
    Andy says:
    prince of persia is more skill than hack and slash
    ShitFace says:
    i dont think skill is a genre of game lol
    Andy says:
    of course it is you have seen the crystal maze havnt you?
    he says what next a skill physical mental?

Blind people don't see black, they see the same thing you see out of your elbow - VengfulScars

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah except i'm not a frothing at the mouth fanatic about these games

thus i play the one marketed to casuals, and play casually

also i'm a cheap bastard and the whole free-to-play thing that wasn't just a load of bs was fantastic for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    LoL beats HoN
    I can see LoL being better in 1 thing and thats community, because HoN has the most god forsaken community to ever be in a game. If you can put up with rage inducing whiners and huehuehue Brazilians (or Russians for you EU folk) then its worth it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like LoL because the strategy involved with 5v5 has enough depth to keep me interested while the skill ceiling is low enough for me to play fairly casually, but also well.

I get the impression that HoN is all about APM and ridiculous micromanagement on top of the general shit I already posted, plus the finer details that I didn't mention. That's just too much investment for me when I don't really want to be involved with a competitive scene

after this, we add the ridiculous community.

The whiners in LoL don't seem so bad. You get one every few games or so once you hit 30, and there are still retards at 30 who, with 300+ wins, still haven't learned why you only last hit, but all in all it's a pretty manageable gaming experience. Nobody loses their shit on you for sucking with your character unless you're deliberately feeding, playing like you have no brain or in a ranked game.

I'm pretty happy with my decision
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

although the south americans are annoying as shit

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I can see LoL being better in 1 thing and thats community, because HoN has the most god forsaken community to ever be in a game. If you can put up with rage inducing whiners and huehuehue Brazilians (or Russians for you EU folk) then its worth it.
    That's probably because HoN is much closer to DotA All-Stars than LoL is.

I somehow got a beta invitation for HoN. God, it was abso-fucking-lutely terrible how bad the community was, and I agree with Coq in that with LoL you can actually get into the game without having to slog through learning a mind-bogglingly complex metagame and how to tediously micromanage through a huge amount of trial and error while other players are hurling epithets at you and and making claims about your mother's sexual proclivities.

There's a degree of straight-forwardness to LoL that HoN is completely lacking.

And it's not as hugely simplified as Demigod, which is on the opposite extreme: no forests, no cover, only 10 characters, no item recipes (you just re-sell old equipment), etc. It deviates somewhat from the DotA model in some ways, such as being more about capping and keeping territories rather than only pushing through lanes to destroy turrets, but still it doesn't add nearly as much as it strips away.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the whole dota style games community is full of giant asshats

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

life in general is full of asshats

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I just saw coke-ca-peen's tedious post above. From playing Demigod I've learned some basic things like the 3 main game stages, sticking with teammates, and engaging/disengaging from battle by moving towards and away from the enemy more or less constantly.

Last hitting is something I still have to work on. It's less a matter of how much damage my champion does and more a matter of how long it takes for the champion to strike the enemy.

I'm glad that the fucking annoying autoattack has been removed, where you have to keep moving your champion back and forth if you're in attack range or you'll automatically attack the nearest creep. And denying is like ZOMG DONT WANT 2 LEARN THIS.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

life in general is full of asshats
    yep
    Andy says:
    prince of persia is more skill than hack and slash
    ShitFace says:
    i dont think skill is a genre of game lol
    Andy says:
    of course it is you have seen the crystal maze havnt you?
    he says what next a skill physical mental?

Blind people don't see black, they see the same thing you see out of your elbow - VengfulScars

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I like Nunu against noobs. They are so prone to over-extend themselves because they think they can burst him down, when suddenly he consumes a minion, has snared the enemy, and is himself moving very fast.

I like supplementing his self-healing with the Healing summoner spell to wear down and surprise opponents with his staying power. Mana is an issue sometimes.

And I realize that with more experienced players who understand Nunu's weaknesses, such as his vulnerability there are no minions near by to eat and his reliance on abilities with fairly substantial cooldowns, that he will be less of a threat.

And obviously Ryze is a pretty straight-forward hero as well, a nuker that takes a little time to build up power and works well with mana pool expanding items, but is fragile and vulnerable to snares.

Here's another hint for people new to these sorts of games: if a character is described as primarily a "carrier," STAY AWAY FROM IT. Carriers are weak at first but when spec'd and geared correctly can deal massive damage and be a huge threat, usually from auto-attack + use of more tactical rather than directly damaging abilities. However, if you do NOT spec and gear them correctly, nor farm enough gold to buy the necessary gear, you will be a liability for your team. Just from looking at her description, Evelynn seems to be such a character, though I may be wrong. (And actually, most of the characters labeled "assassin" seem to be carriers, considering that most of their abilities seem tactical in nature, and many of their passives proc on killing champions.) Also pure support characters like Janna should shied away from.
    Last edited by sycld; 02-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

scyld, tryndamere (carry class) isnt hard to play whatsoever and is a complete fucking house

seriously there are only 2-3 champions in the game that can handle him one on one and in group fights he's nigh unkillable. stack double phantom dancer and an infinity blade and you'll have like a 90%+ crit chance and be critting for 600-800 twice a second.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by faesce View Post
    scyld, tryndamere (carry class) isnt hard to play whatsoever and is a complete fucking house

seriously there are only 2-3 champions in the game that can handle him one on one and in group fights he's nigh unkillable. stack double phantom dancer and an infinity blade and you'll have like a 90%+ crit chance and be critting for 600-800 twice a second.
    Ooookay, fine, but that's an exception.

Most carriers still require huge amount of gold investment and are somewhat weak early in the game.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay so I think I'm confused about the distinction between assassins and carries :/

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

assassins are generally burst, but always single target damagers. They're whole purpose is dropping one person (usually the opposing carry) as soon as a fight starts, then getting the fuck out of dodge.

Tryndamere can carry, but he's easily shut down at higher ELO levels. In order to work effectively, he needs a full page of crit CHANCE (not dmg) runes to work his healing in the early game. While he is fantastic 1v1, this loses effectiveness once the game has gone on long enough. His ult gives him 6 seconds of invincibility (and free crit chance), but what happens when you're ignited halfway through? popping bloodlust will sometimes save you, but most (competent) teams will anticipate tryn ults and straight up stun you partway through and ignite.

Early game, he is easily zoned out in lane by pretty much any ranged attacker. His heal relies on getting crits, which means you need to be around the creepwave or the enemy. Getting harassed constantly without being able to reliably crit is a recipe to you getting underlevelled and underfarmed when Tryn is heavily, heavily reliant on items. inf edge and PD alone come to almost 7000 gold. throw in boots and that's an entire game's worth of farming, generally speaking, and this doesn't give you any aspect of survivability like lifesteal, armor, health etc.

tryndamere, in my experience, is most effective as an assassin. When a teamfight breaks out, you spinning slash out of the brush or across a wall kill, ashe in 3-5 hits, pop your ult so you don't die and slash away again. Anyone who deals the amount of damage tryndamere does and with the low amount of hps he has becomes a huge target, even with a 6s invincibility ult. you'll get bursted in a heartbeat and you desperately need to avoid snares/stuns and DoTs. playing tryn against opponents who are familiar with the game is difficult to do.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah i'm personally not a big fan of carries. my shitty computer and internet connection sees me playing at about 12 fps (6 when shit starts going down). there's too much lag to accurately target skillshots or read battlefields.

Although, they've been trying to make Ryze into a mage carry (there's a big issue about mages and how they cannot carry as well as an AD carry) and he still has the best early game burst (except, maybe, for tristana and annie). The mana stacking and passive means you want to build for mana and cooldowns (his AP ratios suck... overload got nerfed to .2) and basically continually cast as much as possible. His increased range on spells means he can actually do so from relative safety and is a solid choice for any beginner to this game.

Nunu is also a fun champ, but difficult to lane with against experienced opponents (you need to be aggressive as hell). His effectiveness drops off if anyone on the other team has any kind of hard cc (stun, fear, taunt) or a silence, because it renders your ult completely useless, unless you get lucky in the brush. He's a fun tank and great for leashing enemies for your team to kill, especially when you boost them with blood lust.

I'm interested to hear what you guys are going to say once you start playing people who are of relatively equal skill level
    Last edited by coqauvin; 02-22-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah i'm personally not a big fan of carries. my shitty computer and internet connection sees me playing at about 12 fps (6 when shit starts going down). there's too much lag to accurately target skillshots or read battlefields.
    I've been experiencing gigantic lag spikes, for like 5 to 10 seconds... is it just me?

Although, they've been trying to make Ryze into a mage carry (there's a big issue about mages and how they cannot carry as well as an AD carry) and he still has the best early game burst (except, maybe, for tristana and annie). The mana stacking and passive means you want to build for mana and cooldowns (his AP ratios suck... overload got nerfed to .2) and basically continually cast as much as possible. His increased range on spells means he can actually do so from relative safety and is a solid choice for any beginner to this game.
    Lol... why are they doing this?

How the hell can you make an ability-dependent caster into a carrier?

In almost every multiplayer RPG game, no matter if it's an MMO or a DotA clone or whatever, there's one thing that usually remains constant: physical DPS that relies far more on auto-attack always has the potential to scale much better than casters that rely on spells and abilities.

But anyway, yeah I played Ryze in the tutorial and sort of loved him, at least against stupid bots.

Nunu is also a fun champ, but difficult to lane with against experienced opponents (you need to be aggressive as hell). His effectiveness drops off if anyone on the other team has any kind of hard cc (stun, fear, taunt) or a silence, because it renders your ult completely useless, unless you get lucky in the brush. He's a fun tank and great for leashing enemies for your team to kill, especially when you boost them with blood lust.
    Oooh CC stops his ulti from channeling? Boo

But even without his utli, he's pretty damn effective, no?

But I'm not surprised that he gets less effective against experienced players.

I'm interested to hear what you guys are going to say once you start playing people who are of relatively equal skill level
    To be honest, I am now.

I might understand a little bit about the game, but I'm still not that good at playing it.

So runes... I still don't know what to pick, but any runes are better than no runes I guess.

Also, what the hell is the purpose of Smite? A crutch for people who can't last hit? So that people never learn how to last hit and always waste a Summoner Spell slot on this PoS?

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i played my first 20ish games teamed with four level 30's, so i understand the skill difference. trynd is fantastic in casual and i play him relatively similar to how you described. spin2win is just too good.

i also play zilean and fiddles, although i strongly prefer zilean if my teamates don't suck gigantic dick. fiddles is a monster at 1v1 and overall a good asset to most team comps in my experience.

i think i want to try rammus.. he looks absolutely fucking broken..

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in regards to ryze - they wanted to make a mage carry, i guess? Anivia comboes much harder and provides more utility, but even she is a support nuker at best. If the game goes on much longer than 30-40 minutes, the other team will catch up in resists and dmg.

Smite is for junglers. These are champs who don't go in the lane, but instead use the jungle creeps to gain levels and gold. They are generally responsible for warding the map, keeping control of the dragon buff (+150 gold to everyone on your team whenever he dies... insanely valuable) and for surprise ganks on lanes that your opponents have pushed to hard. Warwick was built for jungling, as was Udyr (both of them are terrible in lane). A couple others can jungle effectively - tryndamere, master yi and akali come to mind right away. tryn needs to stack attack speed over crit chance on his reds to proc bloodlust, yi needs attackspeed to proc double strike and heal with meditation and akali need attack damage reds to proc her lifesteal/magic damage passive.

Rammus is king of the jungle. With armor pen marks, armor seals, magic resist or mp/5 glyphs and health quints, he can drop the entire jungle faster than anyone else in the game, is perfectly set up for ganks with his ridiuclous taunt and slow and will have the health to do so afterwards. Use defensive ball curl at golem with a cloth armor and 5 health pots. you probably don't even need a full rune page to pull it off, tbh.

regarding runes: runes are where you look at the deficiencies of your particular champ's build, or strengths, and add to them.

for marks: Generally speaking, if you have a mage, your red runes will be Magic Penetration (for a total of +10 @ lvl30), otherwise you'll get Armor Penetration (same thing). They ran some calculations and found out that armor pen provided more damage than crit damage marks, but I digress. Aside from specializing for a specific champion (like stacking flat AP on Zilean for a lethal early game, stacking crit chance on tryn etc.) that's really your best bet.

most common seals: dodge, scaling hp, flat armor, scaling mp/5.

most common glyphs: scaling MR, scaling CDR, flat CDR, scaling mp/5

most common quintessences: flat hp (for a total of +96hp @lvl1 with tier 3 runes), faster movement, armor penetration, magic penetration, flat or scaling AP.

there are tons more to choose from, but, for the most part, these are the ones you'll probably end up using. I usually have mana problems because I have a tendency to spam too much, so my setup for a mage is: Magic pen marks, scaling mp/5 seals, scaling FCR glyphs, 2 flat HP Quints and 1 faster move Quint. for physical guys, substitute armor pen for magic pen

also, always get scaling mp/5 runes. they break even at level 4 and there's no way you'll have the mana recovery usage vs. needed that will require only the mp/5 that flat runes can give over the scaling versions.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Coq. Info like which of armor pen or crit is better is just what I wanted to know. I have a page of mage runes and a page of physical runes.

I sort of love Heimdigger. Too bad he's so expensive. Last game I got a g-g-g-g-godlike killing spree and was something like 3 or 4 levels above the average

So I suppose I am a bit better than most noobs

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

heim is a lot of fun

he used to be so much more annoying about a year ago. his rockets would only target champions, but his turrets sucked (you had to ult the turrets just to upgrade them once). still had lethal ap ratios, though.

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe Morde can drop the entire jungle the fastest.

I am also in love with Eve and Karth at the moment.
    Last edited by TheOriginalGrumpySpy; 02-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah but morde is such an incredbly good solo laner, why would he jungle in the first place?

also i saw a video with rammus completing his jungle in 3:23, which is pretty ridiculous

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I played LoL for a month but decided to quit. I'm probably too much of a DotA fan boy and just prefer it, been playing for about 5 years. I just feel it's more complex, challenging, and fun. I am a fan boy actually, I kinda rage when I hear all my friends are playing LoL, just because it's somewhat DotA's rival. Some players have left DotA for LoL (for good reason), but I agree that it is for the more casual gamer. Haven't heard too much on the status of HoN. I played the beta but doesn't seem like it's amazing. The map felt too zoomed and units moved so fast you couldn't even click on them. And then orb effects stacked too... I'm just gonna wait for DotA 2....

http://www.dota2.com/

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If by "status of HoN," you mean whether it's live or not, it is live.

Ok so when should you jungle...? It's strange because it takes you away from the main action...

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

right from the start.

and after laning.

Look at it this way - the jungle is a resource of buffs, xp and gold just waiting for you to harvest it. If there's ever any downtime (you're not getting pushed, you're not in the middle of a push, too far away from a gank or whatever), then kill jungle creeps and take that gold. When you're high enough level, it only takes a couple hits and you should farm that shit all the time.

Now, there's a group of champs that start in the jungle, leaving the top lane solo, mid lane solo and a duo bottom lane. The jungler goes through his route from level 1, killing all the neutral monsters and collecting the buffs. They clock out at level 4 with about 400-500 gold (don't remember off the top of my head). The advantages to having a jungler on your team are:

-a constantly MIA champion who could appear to gank the enemy at any time
    -control over your jungle
    -control over the dragon (either because your jungler claims it, or because it's constantly warded)
    -a second champion who enjoys the advantages of solo lane exp/gold
    -a floater who can cover lanes where people need relief to buy and heal up

basically, if nobody's jungling, you're just gimping yourself. It really doesn't matter much until you hit mid-level ELO though.

There's a secondary game that revolves around junglers, though. If there's one on each team, they're competing for the dragon control and will often slip into enemy territory to gank their rival while they're weak from fighting. Ganking the jungler before minions spawn is another (they almost always start at the blue golem, especially fiddlesticks, udyr, warwick). I've had 5v5 teamfights at level 1 from both teams trying to gank and protect their jungles.

to guard against junglers, always drop a ward in the bushes at the top/bottom of your lane - the single bush that sits in the river, not the pair that's lined up against the wall. It is well worth the 75 gold from your first bluepill

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's why I love Eve for the anti-jungle capability.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

right from the start.

and after laning.

Look at it this way - the jungle is a resource of buffs, xp and gold just waiting for you to harvest it. If there's ever any downtime (you're not getting pushed, you're not in the middle of a push, too far away from a gank or whatever), then kill jungle creeps and take that gold. When you're high enough level, it only takes a couple hits and you should farm that shit all the time.

Now, there's a group of champs that start in the jungle, leaving the top lane solo, mid lane solo and a duo bottom lane. The jungler goes through his route from level 1, killing all the neutral monsters and collecting the buffs. They clock out at level 4 with about 400-500 gold (don't remember off the top of my head). The advantages to having a jungler on your team are:

-a constantly MIA champion who could appear to gank the enemy at any time
    -control over your jungle
    -control over the dragon (either because your jungler claims it, or because it's constantly warded)
    -a second champion who enjoys the advantages of solo lane exp/gold
    -a floater who can cover lanes where people need relief to buy and heal up

basically, if nobody's jungling, you're just gimping yourself. It really doesn't matter much until you hit mid-level ELO though.

There's a secondary game that revolves around junglers, though. If there's one on each team, they're competing for the dragon control and will often slip into enemy territory to gank their rival while they're weak from fighting. Ganking the jungler before minions spawn is another (they almost always start at the blue golem, especially fiddlesticks, udyr, warwick). I've had 5v5 teamfights at level 1 from both teams trying to gank and protect their jungles.

to guard against junglers, always drop a ward in the bushes at the top/bottom of your lane - the single bush that sits in the river, not the pair that's lined up against the wall. It is well worth the 75 gold from your first bluepill
    Yeah thanks, this all makes sense, especially after reading a LoL wiki's article on jungling.

So jungling gets you more xp and gold than minion killing, and it allows teammates to rack up the gold and xp you would have gotten from minion killing in their lane.

And the ganking part seems intriguing too.

Also, I control my dragon with my right hand, but I don't think that's what you're referring to here... what's the dragon? You don't mean the baron guy do you? I believe the dragon gives your team gold?

I'm going to try jungling in my newbie games. I'm already level 5... what's considered mid-level?

Oh and I forgot to add: I played a second game with Heim where my team lost. The opposition was waaay more coordinated than us, and they knew how to gank using brush and jungle paths. Granted, from keeping track of the minimap I could predict when they were coming to gank me...

But the point is that it really drove the point home about how much Heim benefits from a good tank. That first game I had a good, stalwart tank, and that made Heim kick serious butt.

EDIT: I'm so very tempted to drop the 20 bucks for the LoL box. It's cheap enough that it seems worth it.
    Last edited by sycld; 02-22-2011 at 06:39 PM.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Also, I control my dragon with my right hand, but I don't think that's what you're referring to here... what's the dragon? You don't mean the baron guy do you? I believe the dragon gives your team gold?

I'm going to try jungling in my newbie games. I'm already level 5... what's considered mid-level?
    I'm talking about the dragon. On the river, there are two neutral creeps, Baron Nashor and the Dragon. Baron Nashor is the big red skull on your minimap, who gives your whole team a big boost to hp/mp regen, Attack damage and Ability Power. The dragon, when killed, gives everyone on your team something like 40-60 experience (can't remember, but it was nerfed into pointlessness anyways) and 150g, plus 35 to whoever hits it last. It used to be the last stop on the jungler route, with warwick, at least, being able to solo it at level 4-5 with the golem buffs at around 7 minutes. They boosted it so it's tougher to solo in the early game, but having vision of the dragon is important. You have to know when it's there, if someone on the other team is soloing it (which often makes for an easy gank) or if the whole team is there. That location also leads down into the bottom lane, so it's worth the time to ward in case mid or the jungler wants to come and gank.

when I say mid-level, I'm referring to ELO. low ELO games are all the new players getting used to the game. mid-level is where I consider myself (but i'm probably not there), and it's mostly people who are familiar with the metagame, can play a few champs well and have a decent understanding of how the game is played. It is, I assume, where all the casual players wind up. High ELO is the crazy tryhards, where small mistakes are what decides who wins.

If you care enough, there's a few clans who operate livestreams that I've checked out a couple times to see how they play. Counter-Logic is the best, but there's plenty of other streamers who are pretty good.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalGrumpySpy View Post
    That's why I love Eve for the anti-jungle capability.
    do you jungle with eve?

i don't know how you play, but whenever I see eve on the other team, I layer my lane with vision wards (hurts my build, but i play supports anyways) and ward the chokepoints in the jungle regularly. I'm wondering what you think about playing a stealth based champ and how it generally goes for you

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also, generally speaking, junglers are those with some kind of passive lifesteal and/or extraordinary attack/defense combo who can drop the creep camps and keep fairly healthy while doing it. There's a way to do it with every champ, but it's pointless for most, and for some it damages their lategame build either by having a slow start or by having to purchase items that aren't part of their core build.

If you want to jungle at low levels, I suggest using warwick to get a feel for it. He barely needs runes/masteries to survive (they do go a long way, though) and his jungling builds directly into his role as lategame assassin anyways. There is little more annoying than a warwick with madred's bloodrazor and a guardian angel healing himself all the damn time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you jungle with eve?

i don't know how you play, but whenever I see eve on the other team, I layer my lane with vision wards (hurts my build, but i play supports anyways) and ward the chokepoints in the jungle regularly. I'm wondering what you think about playing a stealth based champ and how it generally goes for you

I used to jungle eve. Not so much anymore. I usually just lane until lvl 6 + sheen. Then gank time. A lot of players talk down on stealth champions, but I find it very fun to be able to solo champions as I cruise through their jungle mid/late game. I also used to be AP, but I've recently switched to AD and the change is clear as day. An AP Eve may pack a punch with ravage, but an AD Eve can sustain the damage and I can usually take down an ashe, for example, in 3-4 hits.
    Last edited by TheOriginalGrumpySpy; 02-22-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, wow... Warwick seems a little too powerful.

I don't remember which champions are free this week, but I'll try to pick another jungler if Warwick isn't available and give it a shot.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Hmm, wow... Warwick seems a little too powerful.

I don't remember which champions are free this week, but I'll try to pick another jungler if Warwick isn't available and give it a shot.
    Cho’gath
    Kassadin
    Ryze
    Soraka
    Teemo
    Tristana
    Veigar
    Gragas
    Mordekaiser
    Irelia

Also, try to be proficient in all categories of team contributors. Bursters, healers, tanks, support etc.

Identity

cowabunga
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

holy shit i like this weeks lineup

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sycld, what's your username?

Identity

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, try to be proficient in all categories of team contributors. Bursters, healers, tanks, support etc.
    I'll try to, after I have more than 4 games under my belt

sycld, what's your username?
    SimuCat

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right