Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43

Thread: New computer

  1. #1
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default New computer

    My parents need a new computer and they are looking to spend around $400 on it. All they need is the desktop without an operating system(I will be providing that for them so they save money). I am going to order the parts on newegg and put it together for them myself as well. They absolutely do not need any kind of graphics card, integrated is fine, I found a 500gb internal hd for like 60 bucks that they can use and I picked a cheap dvd drive.

    All I need is a good case, power supply, processer and motherboard. The rest of it is pretty arbitrary, I just want to make sure everything will be good together. For the processor and motherboard I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7400 and a BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. This has to be put together tonight or tomorrow morning at latest so the quicker the better.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Absolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,851
    Credits
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    My suggestion: make sure you get a quiet psu and case (mid-tower).

  3. #3
    God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    315
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Just got back into routine at another forum I was at before CD (and LWS), and one of the long time members just gave me a run down or a nice upgrade I could use, despite being practically a whole new computer. Just over $400, so pick and choose, and it doesn't include a case and PSU, or DVD drive. Maybe this can benefit you too.

    Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail ($69.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116072

    MSI P35 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail ($49.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130095

    OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail ($44.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227377

    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM ($69.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=wd6400aaks

    XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250 512MB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail ($129.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=GS250XYDFC

    Total: $404.94
    It also included an MX518 mouse in that, so chop off another $40 if you choose against it or any periph. Graphics card is overkill, and as you mentioned integrated is fine, but I'd suggest get something like a 9600GT in place of the GTS250 above. Just for any light stuff they may do, gives you some extra dough to buy the PSU and / or case. Hard drive is also a bit overkill, but anything lower really isn't very economical nowadays.
    Last edited by linkinkampf19; 05-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA (Primary) - 640GB WD Black (Storage) - Lite-On LH-20AIL

  4. #4
    Senior Member SneeBeezums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    493
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    ^ Your list's links doesn't work. He also doesn't need a video card, integrated will just work.

    If you have no biases towards AMD, their 790G chipsets are nice. Integrated HDMI with VGA/DVI. People tend to use these boards for HTPCs so I'm sure this will be more than adequate for your parents need.

    Motherboard - 71.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157154

    CPU - 87.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103295

    Memory - 29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098

    Power Supply - 73.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139003

    Case - 58.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042

    Total - 321.92 + Shipping

    That case doesn't come with a front case fan so that's something you might want to look into. And possibly a new CPU fan/heatsink. I don't like stock fans but since this is for your parents I'm sure heat from a large workload is going to be a problem.
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 05-14-2009 at 10:20 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well I appreciate the suggestions but I had to decide on a configuration at like 9am so this is what I ended up choosing. Let me know if I fucked up.


    Foxconn G31AX-K LGA 775 Intel G31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
    RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Retail
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7400 - Retail

    $402.94
    Last edited by Killuminati; 05-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Absolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,851
    Credits
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Well I appreciate the suggestions but I had to decide on a configuration at like 9am so this is what I ended up choosing. Let me know if I fucked up.


    Foxconn G31AX-K LGA 775 Intel G31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
    RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Retail
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7400 - Retail
    these are all incompatible
    WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO!???

  7. #7
    Senior Member SneeBeezums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    493
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    My only problem is your choice in power supply. I don't think Raidmax is a company who makes quality power supply units which are one of the most important parts of your systems. Other than that looks like you will be fine with your purchases.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yea it's not the best power supply, if it turns out to be a problem they can buy another power supply to put in there. I got it because it came with the case and was cheap. Reading the reviews some people had a problem with it but it didn't seem too bad.

  9. #9
    I toast to fat bitches Harner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    451
    Credits
    674
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It probably has a 1 yr warranty, so who cares. They saved a couple bucks and thats what matters. If it dies, then replace it with a cheap, quality one.

  10. #10
    God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    315
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    ^ Your list's links doesn't work.
    My bad. I guess that's what happens when you copypasta from another forum.

    I see now... It's that the links are treated as if the ellipses are part of the link and their now :P

    Fix't.

    EDIT: I have the Smilodon. Fucking amazing case. Got it separate from teh PSU. Corsair 450VX for that. Worth every penny. One thing you've gotta look at. If the price difference between a case with a PSU and the same one without is only $10-20, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by linkinkampf19; 05-14-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Raidmax Smilodon - ASUS M2N-E - AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz - EVGA GTX260 896MB - Corsair 450VX
    Audigy2 ZS - Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Logitech x530 - Logitech G5 - Logitech Classic Keyboard
    320GB Seagate SATA (Primary) - 640GB WD Black (Storage) - Lite-On LH-20AIL

  11. #11
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harner View Post
    It probably has a 1 yr warranty, so who cares. They saved a couple bucks and thats what matters. If it dies, then replace it with a cheap, quality one.
    Most adults working full time jobs will drop an extra $20-30 to avoid having a computer problem within the next year. Replacing a PSU can be quite the annoyance when you work all day and then come home to rest. I'd spend the extra money.

    By the way, the OP can buy a new Dell for under $300 with equal specifications to what is listed above, or close to it. It saves you a little money and a good day's work. I've never had a Dell fail on me, even though I'm not sure what their reliability numbers are like overall these days.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens! View Post
    By the way, the OP can buy a new Dell for under $300 with equal specifications to what is listed above, or close to it.
    Uh, no you can't. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

  13. #13
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Uh, no you can't. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    For $309:

    e5200
    2GB RAM
    320GB Hard Drive

    If your parents are doing normal tasks (itunes, web browsing, pictures, e-mail, and watching videos), this computer will last them an incredibly long time. My parents still use an AMD 3500 with 2GB RAM and an 80GB Hard Drive, and it still runs with lightning quickness, even though it cannot play 720p. I think I got it 4-5 years ago. I also have a custom e4500 workstation running extremely fast from about two years ago.

    I believe that it would be worth it. Dells typically are quite reliable and this would save you a good bit of trouble. You would still probably end up wiping the system and putting either XP or Vista Ultimate on, but it would be fully capable with either.

    Next time try not to be quite so quick to jump the gun when you accuse people of bullshitting.

    In the end, you will want to consider warranties for individual items and possible costs of repair for everything, but I think that the Dell is worth it.
    Last edited by Kittens!; 05-17-2009 at 08:07 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That computer is nowhere near as good.

  15. #15
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Your parents would never notice the difference between a 5200 and a 7400, and I doubt parents would notice the difference between 2GB and 4GB anyways, but RAM is so cheap, why not upgrade I suppose. Finally, I highly doubt your parents will use 320GB, much less 500GB. I'm just trying to save you some trouble and some cash that you really won't need to spend.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why do you think that you know the computing needs of my parents and siblings? Spending an extra $100 on a computer that will be better and last them a longer time is worth it. You realize that in buying that dell you are paying at least $100 for the operating system. I am giving them a copy of xp and they might even just try the rc1 for windows 7. Dell uses bad quality parts and they come bloated out the ass as well, there is no way in hell I would recommend that to them.

  17. #17
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Bloatware doesn't mean anything when you just wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7 or XP to begin with. Also, I wouldn't say that the computer would last "longer" because the 7400 is still a dual-core. When it comes time to get a new computer in 4-5 years, possibly longer, the standard for cheap processors will probably be 8-cores, or some unknown awesome technology that is still dirt cheap. The fact is, your processor isn't "better" enough to justify future-proofing. Perhaps if you bought a quad-core instead, but that did not happen. Next, Dell's parts would perform just as well as your budget parts probably, and reliability would be about the same, if not better. I've had "reliable" (according to primarily posters on [H], who typically work with computers more than anyone else on the internet, and then Newegg reviews on top of that) parts from Newegg fail within a couple months of purchase numerous times. These days you can make an educated guess about reliability, but it is never guaranteed. Dell's reliability in desktops is quite good from my experience, and it, according to Consumer Reports, is the same as the industry standard, and even a little higher. It is not poor by any standards, and by looking at some of the parts you ordered, reliability will be probably be better with the Dell due to rigorous testing procedures. Finally, when you say that integrated graphics are fine, it is easy to deduce that there will be no heavy duty media editing or gaming, which are the two main reasons for getting a discrete graphics chip. That is how I can predict your family's uses for the computer. The Dell setup is beyond sufficient for many years for that sort of thing.

    But to digress, your hostile attitude reminds me of the whiny voice of Sean Hannity, and I believe I will leave you to spending an extra $100 worth of power you will never use, and I will let you waste a day or two putting together your computer.

    Good riddance!
    Last edited by Kittens!; 05-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Did you even read my post? What part of it confuses you? You are saving 100 dollars just to buy a computer that is wasting 100$ worth of components on the operating system. Either way you lose $100 in my book. They can afford the extra 100 and it will be worth it to them. Their original price they wanted to pay was $500 so this is already better in their eyes. My parents are sick of having a slow shitty computer and shit like an extra 2 gb of ram makes a difference when you have 4 users on a computer 3 of which have programs running all the time. They need the big hard drive because its cheap as fuck and between my brother downloading and my mom taking ridiculous amounts of pictures and both of their music collections they need the space. They don't need a dedicated video card because they don't play games or do anything that the integrated graphics can't handle. I have ordered many computer parts from newegg and had nothing but great experiences. I also know plenty of people who have a dell and hate it because it's a piece of shit. Also no shit this computer isn't future proof, as long as moore's law continues to be true then no computer can be.

  19. #19
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Dell PC comes with Vista Basic, which you wipe and replace with one of your preferred OSes. You lose no money. As I previously said, you can just buy an extra 2GB of RAM with the Dell for $20, possibly less depending on prices, and upgrade it in minutes to 4GB. Next, even enormous (thousands upon thousands) amounts of pictures rarely take up more than 20-50GB of space, and unless your family has music collections over 10,000 songs in V0, they won't need the extra space probably, and you can always grab an external in a couple years if you need it (or even an extra internal). Lastly, your post mostly agrees with me when I say you are wasting your money on a marginally faster processor.

    P.S. Statistics say that your budget Newegg parts are just as likely to fail as the Dell ones, if not more so.

    Your logic is quite flawed and to be honest you are just being rude to me because I pointed out that your purchase probably wasn't the best route, even though I am simply trying to help you.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens! View Post
    The Dell PC comes with Vista Basic, which you wipe and replace with one of your preferred OSes. You lose no money. As I previously said, you can just buy an extra 2GB of RAM with the Dell for $20, possibly less depending on prices, and upgrade it in minutes to 4GB. Next, even enormous (thousands upon thousands) amounts of pictures rarely take up more than 20-50GB of space, and unless your family has music collections over 10,000 songs in V0, they won't need the extra space probably, and you can always grab an external in a couple years if you need it (or even an extra internal). Lastly, your post mostly agrees with me when I say you are wasting your money on a marginally faster processor.

    P.S. Statistics say that your budget Newegg parts are just as likely to fail as the Dell ones, if not more so.

    Your logic is quite flawed and to be honest you are just being rude to me because I pointed out that your purchase probably wasn't the best route, even though I am simply trying to help you.
    IF YOU PAY FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND THEN WIPE IT AND REPLACE IT WITH A FREE ONE, IT'S JUST AS BAD AS LOSING THE MONEY. YOU SPEND A THIRD OF THE PRICE OF THE ENTIRE COMPUTER ON AN OPERATING SYSTEM YOU ARE JUST GETTING RID OF. THAT IS $100 BEING SPENT ON AN OS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON BETTER COMPONENTS. WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

    Maybe the caps lock will allow you to read what I'm saying more clearly. You also say that they aren't going to need the space? Why don't you believe me when I say they need it. You conveniently ignored what I said about my brother downloading shit which would obviously take up the most space. I mean it's not just gonna fill up instantly but why the fuck wouldn't they get more space if they could use it and the extra expense is negligible. Why do you insist on telling me what my families needs are when I obviously fucking know them better than you.

  21. #21
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You lack an understanding of how the money is spread around with Dells. Your money is going towards the components, none of it is going towards the crap, cheap OS that is on there, unless you opt to pay extra for "Ultimate, etc." Basic is used as bait to get customers to upgrade to Home premium at little or no cost to Microsoft (pure profit!). Home Basic has no monetary value even when it is "built into" the price. (Technically it isn't built in since it is a negligible cost to include it as I just explained).

    Alas, you are correct that I missed that your brother is a torrent freak. For an extra $40, you can have your 500GB Hard Drive. For an extra $20, your RAM (Off of newegg). So in the end you get the same amount of power for a bit less (possibly much less if your crap RAIDMAX fails out eventually, which it probably will) and much more convenience and probable higher reliability. I honestly do not see what is to lose on this.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The operating system may not cost them much but that doesn't mean that the consumer isn't paying for the OS still and wasting money. Do you think that when you buy a prebuilt computer you pay any less than $40 for the operating system? They want to get as much money out of you as possible so if they can justify part of the cost as being the operating system they will. At this point $40 is the only difference between the cost of the dell and one that was ordered by the part. It is not higher reliability so no matter how much you say that I won't listen to you and the only inconvenience is me putting the computer together for them. That doesn't bother me, I get to play around with some hardware and help out my family next weekend when I go home. I'm not losing anything.

  23. #23
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Ok, enjoy basking in your ignorance of both statistics and how a consumer's money is distributed by the seller.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So where are these statistics and reports on how dell spends their consumers money?

  25. #25
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Are you kidding me? Its the basic business model for all computer manufacturers, and generally common sense in the industry. Labor and physical parts (including their shipping costs) are the most expensive areas of production. Software either makes a profit, or is incredibly cheap to install. Remember, Microsoft gives them Vista for incredibly cheap because Dell has an agreement with them to put Vista on all of their machines (for the most part).

  26. #26
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens! View Post
    Are you kidding me? Its the basic business model for all computer manufacturers, and generally common sense in the industry. Labor and physical parts (including their shipping costs) are the most expensive areas of production. Software either makes a profit, or is incredibly cheap to install. Remember, Microsoft gives them Vista for incredibly cheap because Dell has an agreement with them to put Vista on all of their machines (for the most part).
    I don't understand how you can argue that some of the money you spend on a dell computer goes towards the operating system regardless of how much it costs dell from microsoft.

  27. #27
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You will still be getting the components for less, even if you do have to give a small amount for the Operating System. Basically, instead of spending $400 on components, you will spend $340 on components and maybe $20 on the OS (just an educated guess, its probably less for the OS). In the end, you save money. Please do not make me repeat this painfully obvious statement. You would still be technically wasting more money with option #1.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If you save a small amount of money, get an inferior computer and also have to deal with dell then you lose in my opinion.

  29. #29
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Your opinion is incorrect, with all due respect.

    I will repeat my argument one last time:

    1. You will save approximately $50 or so with Dell.
    2. After upgrading the RAM, the only more powerful component on your "built" machine would be the processor. However, because your family does not do intensive media editing and gaming, the faster processor is money wasted (also because you agreed with me that future proofing is incredibly hard to do, if at all possible)
    3. You continually repeat that Dell is shitty, etc. You provide no evidence other than word of mouth. Behind my argument that Dell is equally to more reliable, I cite statistics and logic. Consumer Reports says that Dell is slightly above to equal to the industry standard in regards to hardware quality and reliability. Because you are using budget parts, and in many cases sharing the exact same parts with the Dell, reliability will at least be the same. Because Dell tests its machines beyond what the manufacturer does, chances are that the Dell will be more reliable. Probability dictates that the Dell is equally and/or more reliable.

    Therefore your opinion is proven incorrect.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Give me sources or stop bullshitting statistics. I base my opinion of dell based on personal experiences(with friends computers). Also I just remembered that you said to buy more ram off of newegg and put it in the dell to make it faster for only $20. Too bad doing this automatically voids your warranty with dell, then if something fucks up you are really screwed.

  31. #31
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Give me sources or stop bullshitting statistics. I base my opinion of dell based on personal experiences(with friends computers). Also I just remembered that you said to buy more ram off of newegg and put it in the dell to make it faster for only $20. Too bad doing this automatically voids your warranty with dell, then if something fucks up you are really screwed.
    I'll scan the Consumer Reports article in the morning.

    Also, No it does not void it.

    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...doclang=en&cs=

  32. #32
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd like to know more about the limited warranty because every dell I have seen has a sticker on it that breaks when the tower is opened and voids the warranty.

  33. #33
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If the information is on their website, they cannot refuse you warranty coverage, even if there was a "sticker". I have never seen a Dell with such a sticker, so I call bullshit on your claim.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,933
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens! View Post
    If the information is on their website, they cannot refuse you warranty coverage, even if there was a "sticker". I have never seen a Dell with such a sticker, so I call bullshit on your claim.
    Are you kidding me? Shit next time I go home I'll take a picture of the sticker on my friends dell. They say it changes your warranty to a limited one, the question is how limited is the limited warranty and what can they get away with by saying you are only covered under a limited warranty.

  35. #35
    !!! Kittens!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    51
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Are you kidding me? Shit next time I go home I'll take a picture of the sticker on my friends dell. They say it changes your warranty to a limited one, the question is how limited is the limited warranty and what can they get away with by saying you are only covered under a limited warranty.
    Ah, so the truth comes out. Limited, not voided. Next time don't post so misleadingly and then accuse me of being an idiot for replying accordingly. The limited one means that if you are dumb enough to install the wrong kind of RAM or HDD and it somehow fries your entire system, Dell will not cover it. However, if a Dell part fails, Dell will cover that part. The chances of your RAM or HDD fucking your entire system are null. Unless you are an idiot and can't figure out how to install them properly (or if you get the wrong kind and try to install it).

  36. #36
    Senior Member Absolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,851
    Credits
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Who the fuck is kittens and does he listen to chic chic chic

  37. #37
    Senior Member ShitFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,022
    Credits
    3,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd like to add Dell are horrible pcs and every single one I've had has failed on me.

  38. #38
    Senior Member srsinternets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    864
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think Kittens is a Dell rep.

    Killuminati built a superior machine for a minimal price increase, get over it. Dells are shit.

    The RAM is probably faster and more reliable. The HDD is probably faster and more reliable (wouldn't be surprised if Dell used a 5400 Hitachi, most MFGs do anyways). The mobo is probably far superior, as is the BIOS (not a huge deal to your average user, but its still nice to have). The CD burner is probably much faster. The processor is faster. The PSU is probably much more reliable.

    The only reason these are all 'probably's is because I don't know exactly what Dell is using in their PC's, and I'm on my lunch break so I don't have the time to research. But despite what you say, all of these will definitely effect the typical user. When they're all added together, RAM speeds, CPU speeds, HDD speeds, and CD burner speeds are definitely going to be noticable between the 2 computers. Boo hoo if the computer isn't warranteed for a year through some big ass corporation, all of the parts in the computer have a warranty. Plus, you don't have to send your entire PC out for a repair, you can instead just RMA the one part thats causing trouble. Much faster, much easier, and no worries about problem not being covered under warranty.
    Last edited by srsinternets; 05-18-2009 at 12:43 PM.

  39. #39
    I killed Tupac Shinysides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,139
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Whether it voids the warranty is pointless, because you might as well melt it down and sell the scrap metal. Dell's are terrible computers.

    Dude, you're getting a Dell.

    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

  40. #40
    I toast to fat bitches Harner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    451
    Credits
    674
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I like Dell workstations. I think they are pretty durable for the most part. So are the newer Latitudes. I have a Dell l933r desktop from 1998 or 1999 that's still running like it's brand new. I think I replaced a hard drive, goosed up the memory, sound card, and cd-rom with a burner (that was replaced with a newer burner).

    P3, 933Mhz, I think its at 512mb/ram, on board gfx, came with ME but was wiped many, many times and now has XP, etc. I gave it to my sister after college and her family has been using it for years. Not bad for a 10-11 year old desktop.

Similar Threads

  1. Multiple people using the same computer...
    By YouBoo in forum Personal Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
  2. Computer won't display anything
    By Killuminati in forum Technology Today
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
  3. FS: computer parts
    By Ebola in forum S-Mart
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
  4. Computer Build
    By Nick2.1 in forum Technology Today
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM
  5. Computer to phone?
    By no_brains_no_worries in forum Technology Today
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •